• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Amnesia episodes 1 - 6 streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Basically feels like watching someone else play the game.

And sucking at it.

Quote:
It is the kind of show that has you saying partway through every episode, “I'm going to drop this,” before ending in such a way that makes you say, “...after the next episode.” How the next six episodes handle the wrap up (assuming there is one) will ultimately determine the worthiness of this series, but at this point, it is the equivalent of the food that is not quite to your taste, and yet somehow you keep on taking another bite.

Thank you for putting into words what I've been struggling to figure out! xD I have no idea why I'm still watching this thing, but I am. Normally I would have dropped a show like this right away, but at the end of each episode, suddenly, miraculously, I feel like I want to watch the next one.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Yes, thank you. I've also been wondering why i'm still watching the show. Also, the Heroine is in her second year of college
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I acknowledge the flaws of this show, but I still enjoy it so far (Probably one of the few that does Very Happy )
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The female protagonist is one of the least sympathetic to grace the small screen in a while, coming off as terminally stupid (if you fall off a boat, you swim, not stretch your hand up to the surface) and rarely speaking in complete sentences.

Yes to this. Episode 7 had a little of improvement in that area, but overall, I just can't stand her ridiculous passiveness and apparent mental impediment. As I've stated before, it's hardly a heroine in whose shoes I could stand because there is nothing on her that I can relate to.

C grade seems pretty generous considering that the only thing that Rebecca points in favor of the show is the visuals. I myself have lost most interest in the mistery since we're seven episodes in and nothing seems to me moving in that respect, except that we now know that she is spoiler[moving through parallel worlds]. This in time, renders the whole "recovering your memories" premise absolutely pointless. Learning about her different pasts in different worlds is completely useless, since ultimately, she just gets a jumble of contradicting and confusing memories that serve no purpose in establishing who she is and what her past is.

In the end, the whole show becomes just "helpless, cardboard girl, dating/being dragged around by a lot of guys", with the original goal lost since it becomes impossible to achieve.

I'm still watching because I'm curious about Ukyo, but otherwise I don't really care for the show, the nameless heroine or who she will end up dating
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
You are SO right. Every single episode I was like "that was so boring, but it looks like it's picking up next episode". Well it DOESN'T and I dropped it after episode 6. The swimming scene sealed the deal. That girl is the biggest waste of air I've ever seen. SWIM, GODDAMN IT, SWIM!!!!!

I went and read the game spoilers, and I'm done with it. If you are wondering, no, there's no epic story, or some grand mystery here. It's just a cliche that's been done so many times before. At least in the game, she has a name. A generic name, but it's a name.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I went and read the game spoilers, and I'm done with it. If you are wondering, no, there's no epic story, or some grand mystery here. It's just a cliche that's been done so many times before.

Too bad you didn't like Ukyo's route Sad it's really well done and it will answer all the questions..Oh well its your opinion Cool
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I think this show is evocative of the misogyny within anime fandom.

It's basically the gender-swapped equivalent of shitty otaku harem shows adapted from VNs, yet it is lambasted FAR more despite posessing a similar dearth of quality. I can't find a better explanation for this besides otaku projecting their silent realisation of how terrible the shows they like are, while using the misogynistic premise of "it's for girls, it sucks" to justify their excoriation of it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I digress. I think it's more testament to the sexism within the anime industry. "Oh, we want girls to buy our shit? Then the protagonist doesn't need to have a personality or even half of her brains. And then she'll be dragged around by guys, and won't ever say anything of what she thinks. Girls surely dig that."

I'm usually the first one to cry out against harem/boob shows, but at least the protagonists in those shows have a goddamn personality if a barely average level of intelligence. And, depending on the show, they usually do express their disconfort with having 5 pairs of oversized boobs shoved on their faces
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the lack of personality of the heroine is dragging down the anime, a little bit of personality wouldn't hurt Confused
midori kou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the heroine couldn't swim because that was one of the things that she forgot, along with how to make a parfait and what not.

I do agree that the lack of personality is eating at me. I would think by now she would have a little more life after recovering a few memories... But alas, she is still as useless and slow as ever. Sometimes, a mouth-breather as well. It's a love-hate relationship with this series.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't think swimming is something you forget, even if you lose your memories. Otherwise, one could argue that she should've forgotten how to write or read.

Besides, one'd expect that, even if you don't know how to swim, a basic survival instinct would drive you to struggle, kick or do something, not just allow yourself to drown quietly.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Besides, one'd expect that, even if you don't know how to swim, a basic survival instinct would drive you to struggle, kick or do something, not just allow yourself to drown quietly.

That's what got me. Plenty of people don't know how to swim, but to be honest, I thought it was kind of hilarious how she just sort of froze and let herself sink like a rock xD
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

That's what got me. Plenty of people don't know how to swim, but to be honest, I thought it was kind of hilarious how she just sort of froze and let herself sink like a rock xD

Well, sure, but she had to die, for plot's sake! Can't have her fall off a cliff for all of them, that'd be boring! Though apparently getting hit by a truck is worthy of doing twice Razz
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Basically feels like watching someone else play the game.

Yes! Exactly! Watching just the first couple of episodes, I felt like I could practically see the decision points pop up on the screen! It was the most blatant "game" feeling adaptation of a VN I have seen.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
BonnKansan wrote:
rheiders wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

Well, sure, but she had to die, for plot's sake! Can't have her fall off a cliff for all of them, that'd be boring! Though apparently getting hit by a truck is worthy of doing twice Razz

I thought Ikki's fangirls would kill her, or at least knock her out and then throw her into the lake, thus allowing her to sink like a rock while being unconscious -a more credible way to die
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2