• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: ADK, Toei, Aniplex, Sunrise, TMS, NAS, Dentsu to Stream Anime Overseas

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
..Well now i'm interested to see where this heading.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
500 titles sounds good, I hope that means new and old from the last 35 years and not particularly concentrated in one era. If we're lucky it'll give us raws and subs for stuff we haven't been able to get before. For anything is widely available, not really interested.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
500 titles sounds good, I hope that means new and old from the last 35 years and not particularly concentrated in one era. If we're lucky it'll give us raws and subs for stuff we haven't been able to get before. For anything is widely available, not really interested.

Yeah, with a number like that they should be offering the lost/forgotten titles. My hope, though, is that one of their ideas of "tie-in goods" is DVDs. If Sam Pinansky can get AnimeSols going with the idea of potentially getting DVDs for the shows on the site, then I hope Daisuki can do the same. I was really hoping that Toei & TMS would join up with AnimeSols, because they have plenty of shows that I would love to have on DVD, Toei especially.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sunrise's Gundam anime have garnered many fans overseas

Just not enough for Bandai's tastes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Hopefully there is some subscription service or something, so we don't have to pay "by episode" or something.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Will this affect Crunchyroll or Funimation's streams? Unless by "overseas" they mean Europe or other places that lock out streams.

I hope Sunrise is using this as a chance to drum up interest in releasing more Gundam here. I was devastated that they shut down most of their legal Gundam streams, particularly G Gundam and 0079 because it was a great way to introduce people to those series.

Last edited by ZeetherKID77 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Will this affect Crunchyroll or Funimation's streams?

If the Japanese are doing it themselves, it certainly could.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

My best guess is this will not affect anything that is already in place. Though, I could see this causing problems more so for Crunchyroll in the future.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

well maybe they are finally realizing there is market here with streams.. here is to hoping that even rare ova's get put on there as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

As long as that doesn't affect home video licensing and companies end up opening their own divisions a la Aniplex...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

well maybe they are finally realizing there is market here with streams.. here is to hoping that even rare ova's get put on there as well.

That's what I really hoping for. There's thing one OVA by Madhouse about bike racing I've been hoping to see... Though I bet stuff that don't even have DVD releases will be less likely.

I say this in every possible thread, but maybe we'll actually get Queen Millennia finished.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
So...what exactly is this going to mean for us in the long run? I'm curious how it'll affect current streaming services and licensing if it's for the US as well.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm searching for some kind of phrase to describe this. Biden, help me out.

There is a fair amount of risk here. One has to consider subtitle quality as well as video quality -- no offense to the Japanese, but I've seen your usual English translations. Hiring the right kind of talent on the cheap shouldn't be too bad, given Crunchyroll's success, but you never know. And there is little info on the pricing scheme. But I like the idea of selling tie-in goods. And these companies listed have quite the catalog. This could be a huge success. My confidence in Japanese companies is never high, but this could work. I will be looking forward to more updates. Hell, I might even pay for this, if it looks good.

And in other news, how badly are the dudes at Crunchy panicking right now?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
This better not mean that Funimation or Crunchyroll will be locked out of simulcasting titles period because this site will gobble up everything. It wouldn't affect home video licensing but it would suck.

Hopefully they at least try to cooperate with companies like Funi and CR that want to simulcast as well.
lunaitc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Now taking bets on how they screw this up. Do I hear locally "translated" subtitles? Perhaps a subscription fee five times that of Crunchyroll?

Seriously, name one time Japanese anime distributors have worked directly on foreign releases and it hasn't gone wrong in some way (yes, Aniplex pricing absolutely counts). Keeping an eye on this in case of a miracle, but keeping expectations safely low.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5