• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADK, 6 Anime Firms to Launch Overseas Streaming Site Daisuki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Since this includes simulcasting I'm gonna go on a limb and say they probably more or less mean worldwide with this thing in which case...R.I.P. Crunchyroll ;_;

We'll see. Crunchyroll's demise was predicted when Funico was announced, and look how that turned out. Maybe we shouldn't automatically assume that Japanese companies can live up to their hype.

Well in this case it's not really about hype. All they would effectively have to do is proritize giving new simulcasts to this site over CR (which is likely to happen for each of the companies backing this) and CR would be in for some serious trouble in the future.

All products are vapor until they ship. All they've produced so far is a press release. We'll see if they can get all these companies to work together, and to handle the technical challenges to actually launch a service. Funico seemingly never even made it that far.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
I've been expecting to see developments like this for quite a while now. It only makes sense that the Japanese studios will eventually handle worldwide streaming of their products and eliminate middle-men. The logistics will be a bit daunting with multiple languages and multiple currencies, but the development of gaming networks like Sony's Playstation Network can provide some guidance.

What happens to dubs in this scenario is an open question. Aniplex does English dubbing now on titles it distributes in Asia, but the costs involved in producing simultaneous dubs in say English, Spanish, and Chinese might be prohibitive.
jree78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
It seems like this new site is an exact copy of Crunchyroll. They have streams with translations for a fee and advertising. They will have a store with tie ins, crunchyroll has a store now with figures and stuff. They say they are going to do live events. Crunchyroll is moving into live sports in the future that's what Mr Feng, that is an adviser at Crunchyroll, hinted at. This new site will be a copy of Crunchyroll same business model. The people at Crunchyroll might have gotten a hint that this was coming because it's been stated on the board that they've been working hard on something for months now, hard enough that they didn't make the Roku box 720p yet, he said it would either revolutionize everything or flop.

Last edited by jree78 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I can't see local distributors being fazed out yet when you consider that these said distributors may still hold the cards when it comes to English dubbing. So unless the original licensors are ready and willing to put in the cash to create their own in-house dubbing program and be willing to pay for actor air fares, I can't see local distributors like FUNimation being cut out in the forseeable future.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
PoT has fans in the west - trust me. Wink

After watching how PoT manga is selling worldwide (answer: poorly) , I do know it has not so many fans. Or at least, not buying fans.

Going back to the main news: Lupin and OP's rights were sold "overseas", too. What will happen to the local distributors?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't affect other companies' streaming outputs or home video releases in general.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I hope this doesn't affect other companies' streaming outputs or home video releases in general.

I don't see it affecting the latter (unless it ends up slowing down the amount of time it takes R1 licensors to pick up full rights for a show) but the former may take some kind of hit if this thing comes stateside. Besides CR I wonder how companies like Funi and Viz are reacting to this.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
If they're trying Gundam on there, then I hope that means the chances of the older series being license rescued (like the ones from Toonami) or Unicorn getting an affordable release on Blu-ray AND DVD are better. I hated that they took down all the G Gundam and Wing episodes on Youtube and CR, leaving only SEED Remaster and that one medieval SD Gundam series.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I can't imagine the people at Crunchy are feeling too happy about these recent developments right now. If this service is successful, they may lose all their support since Japanese companies won't have to bother with a middleman.

Don't forget that a large chunk of CR simulcasts each season are sub-licenses from Sentai and those should be relatively safe. This company is only streaming, so it still makes sense to go with a group that promises both steaming and physical home video releases. However, with Aniplex on board, if this service hits North America, I would imagine their simulcasts would go there from now on.

Until we have more details, we really don't know anything.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
....and the fact that they are pimping our Madoka and One Piece, huge series that have already been simulcast...

Technically, Madoka wasn't simulcast. It was first streamed some time after the finale aired.

The series that has me most interested is Gundam, because I don't think any of Bandai Entertainment's licenses have been streaming anywhere since they went under. And they had some big licenses. I mean, if Daisuki can stream 0079, surely they can stream Gundam Wing. Then there's Bebop, GitS:SAC, Escaflowne, Samurai Champloo, Haruhi, and Code Geass, several of which are Sunrise titles.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
burnpsy wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
How much will this new site conflict with Crunchyroll, Hulu, Funimation and VizAnime? This seems to have come out of nowhere and fast. Shocked

I'm more curious as to the state of the overlapping licenses.

Considering this is partially owned by the actual anime companies, it seems logical to assume they'll stop licensing to US sites once their user base is solid.

Though several of these companies have been distributing on various streaming channels.

They could even do a package deal with, for instance, Crunchyroll, where Crunchyroll embeds their videos (which could include various click through ads into their site) for free members and only does direct streaming to their premium members.

There's a suspicion that they might be sourcing some of the technical work to Crunchyroll, since Crunchyroll has been doing a lot of work on some hush hush project that the moderator of the premium support forum who drops hints about upcoming things cannot talk about, other than saying it "could revolutionize things or flop. Either way, its a lot of work." (as already noted elsewhere above)

Also as several have touched on, what would be "revolutionary" would be a solid selection of simulcasts plus as substantial catalog, all available for worldwide streaming outside of Japan, with the back catalog is used to increase traffic to the site, and the simulcast streaming to increase the profile of series for licensing in various places around the world.

Given an extensive back catalog at hand where they can pick and choose from those that have gone out of license worldwide (and where licensed somewhere around the world, already localized), they wouldn't have to rely on accumulation of simulcasts held over from previous seasons in order to build their catalog, so it wouldn't be surprising to see the simulcasts go up in a window and then to come down again.

Last edited by agila61 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Since this includes simulcasting I'm gonna go on a limb and say they probably more or less mean worldwide with this thing in which case...R.I.P. Crunchyroll Anime cry

Still curious how it'll affect R1 licensing (if it does at all). I know the companies simulcasting stuff has made licensing and release turnarounds faster these days, but if they aren't the ones simulcasting this stuff over here anymore I wonder how much that would slow down the process...

There is no reason why this partnership should be a major threat to Crunchyroll. It is only 6 animation companies! They aren't going to get other animation companies that don't have a stake in the venture to put their shows on a service that funnels money into the pockets of the competition. For instance, of the shows listed on the Winter 2013 Spotlight the following have one of the six companies listed:
Love Live
Oreshura
Vivdred Operation
Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
Precure
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

Precure is not simulcast by anyone and most of the shows listed are Aniplex titles, and, as has already been commented on, Aniplex has taken a shot-gun approach with streaming licenses over the past few years, opting to have their shows available practically everywhere, including CR, Hulu, TAN if Sentai is involved, and Crackle.

Even if those 6 titles were removed from the mix, that still leaves a good 30 or so titles for the other companies to compete over. That doesn't sound like a death knell in any way shape or form. Also, if the new venture doesn't provide good feeds at HD (at least 720) they will not be a serious competitor for people's subscription dollars. Also, if they don't offer lower resolution free feeds, they are unlikely to garner much traffic at all, at least in the US, where people can get free feeds from CR, Hulu, and Funimation without paying a cent. Frankly, the fact that Tamako Market is only available to Premium subscribers at TAN is the reason that I am not bothering to watch that show this season. I will check it out when they release it on Hulu later on. If this service has a similar "subscription or bust" policy, their shows will fall into my "catch it later" pile.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

Yes, their contracts with Crunchyroll et al. would have to be non-exclusive at least as to the stated properties (One Piece, Prince of Tennis, etc.). Actually, I don't think Crunchyroll is currently streaming any of these series, but I think Prince of Tennis is streaming on VizAnime and Amazon on Demand and maybe Hulu as well.

I guess we'll have to wait for more details on Daisuki. Do they really have all 400+ episodes of One Piece "ready to go" for April?

CR had most of the Gundam just couple months ago. They have to took damn all the Gundam . I don't think they will steam all the one OP episodes at the beginning. Just start with the latest eps, then add more later. Americans companies don't have exclusive stream right to most anime.especially aniplex titles, you can watch them every where.

Yeah, I watched Gundam and Zeta Gundam on Crunchyroll and now they're gone from the site. I think they also were streaming Gundam 00 for a while.

I wish there was a streaming site just for Gundam series - all Gundam, all the time - 24/7 (lol).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
Crunchyroll was basically bought out by TV Tokyo, and they turned the site legit.

They got capital investment before becoming 'legit', which provoked the ire of licencees and a storm of C&Ds. The turnaround was when Gonzo started working with them (alongside BOST and YouTube). TV Tokyo's minority stake was only purchased two years later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
The series that has me most interested is Gundam, because I don't think any of Bandai Entertainment's licenses have been streaming anywhere since they went under. And they had some big licenses. I mean, if Daisuki can stream 0079, surely they can stream Gundam Wing. Then there's Bebop, GitS:SAC, Escaflowne, Samurai Champloo, Haruhi, and Code Geass, several of which are Sunrise titles.

Correction: Samurai Champloo was a former Geneon license that's currently licensed now by FUNi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5