• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Heart of Bored

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I should probably watch Rurouni Kenshin at some point. I saw a few misc episodes on Toonami/Adult Swim (I can't remember which it was on) as a kid, but I should really sit down and marathon it at some point. It is a shame this remake ova thing is terrible though.

Also those are nice shelves. I didn't pick up any of Bandai's titles since for some reason they never released things on bluray, but I figured that the good things would get rescued at some point. I don't think we will ever have to worry about not being able to get our hands on Geass/Lagann/Haruhi/etc. Funi will probably pick up quite a bit like they did for Geneon. It would be cool if sometime someone who has already sent in shelves can send an update so we can see how it has grown over the years.

As for Aoi Hana and Toriko, never really seems like my cup of tea. Toriko seems like it would get tiring to just watch a series about wacky food for more than a few episodes, and Aoi Hana turns me off with the whole "900 love dodecahedrons" thing.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Sweet Blue Flowers: My copy arrived two days ago but I plan on marathon the series this weekend. From what I understand, the anime ends before the love polygon is straighten out and that reading the manga (Jmanga.com only has Vol. 1) will sort things out. Apparently one girl has a crush spoiler[on her teacher] who also spoiler[likes her sister] but spoiler[the two sisters] flirt with each other AND there's another girl who likes Girl A but has two admirers as well??? Anime dazed

I hope there's a relationship chart online because Takako's "similar face" character designs do not help at all. I had a similar problem watching Wandering Son because half the cast had similar faces and hairstyles (except Yuki).

Haven't seen Pt. 1 of Toriko so nothing for Pt. 2.

Everyone is in a tissy about this mummy sex scene that I just might watch New Kyoto Arc just to see how stupid it is.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Fully agree with Bamboo's assessment of New Kyoto Arc. I've never watched all that far into Rurouni Kenshin (only the first three episodes), so of course I never got up to the Kyoto arc. So I was watching this OVA as a newcomer to the material, and I couldn't understand what was going on and why. It was just a huge rush of names, places, and snippets of dialogue that probably meant something to those who had already read the Manga or seen the series, but meant absolutely nothing to me. And she's right, the fight scenes (such as they are) are not that great either.

Most disappointed, I was.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Everyone is in a tissy about this mummy sex scene that I just might watch New Kyoto Arc just to see how stupid it is.

He makes the woman orgasm using the heat emanating from his penis. It's quite odd. Burns do not work that way.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

It's not at all graphic, and is mostly implied. You hear Yumi moaning about how she's filled with (physical) heat, and you just see Shishio bobbing up and down. What makes it bizarre that he's still completely wrapped up in his bandages, so then your brain's natural progression is, "Wait, so.... how did... does he just.... what part is wrapped...?" and then your mind spirals into other questions, like "how much of his body is burned?" and "is it still burned???"

The actual scene itself is harmless. It just does strange things to your imagination.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
How did Sentai get the exact same dub staff for the New Kyoto Arc when the studio they work for closed down like 10 years ago?
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Super pleased to see Sweet Blue Flowers and Toriko in the shelf worthy list. I haven't finished the two shows yet, but from what I watched so far, both are very enjoyable.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
How did Sentai get the exact same dub staff for the New Kyoto Arc when the studio they work for closed down like 10 years ago?

Voice actors are freelance. They'll work with whatever dubbing studio has a job and money for them. Very often you'll see particular VAs working very often with the same studio over-and-over again, but that's only because they have a good working relationship, not because they are contracted to that studio.

Certainly it's possible that some VAs might be exclusive, but it certainly isn't the norm.

So to answer your question, the studio just contacted all the VAs and said, "Hey, we're doing the Kenshin Kyoto Arc and we'd like you to reprise your old role, are you available?"
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Sweet Blue Flowers huh....Is there any chance this was directed by Terrence Malick?
I am very disappointed to see Rurouni Kenshin OVA has such negative reception.I was planing on introducing it to my friend who knows nothing about Rurouni Kenshin franchise.Oh well there is still Trust & Betrayal.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:

They didn't, though - this OVA has an entirely new cast. None of the actors from the TV show are reprising their roles.
merr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
chrisb wrote:

They didn't, though - this OVA has an entirely new cast. None of the actors from the TV show are reprising their roles.

It looks like a couple of them were involved with the old ADV dubs of the other Kenshin OVAs though, which were done up in Austin at the now defunct Monster Island.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
which were done up in Austin at the now defunct Monster Island.

WELP, that explains a lot. Laughing Those were some class-act dubs, that they were. [/kenshinism]
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
The dub for this Kenshin ova is terrible. They should have gotten the Media Blasters dub cast cause they are far superior... except for Miseo (Ninja girl) She was ALOT better in this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

It's not at all graphic, and is mostly implied. You hear Yumi moaning about how she's filled with (physical) heat, and you just see Shishio bobbing up and down. What makes it bizarre that he's still completely wrapped up in his bandages, so then your brain's natural progression is, "Wait, so.... how did... does he just.... what part is wrapped...?" and then your mind spirals into other questions, like "how much of his body is burned?" and "is it still burned???"

The actual scene itself is harmless. It just does strange things to your imagination.

I assume Shishio's penis looks and taste exactly like a Slim Jim.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
merr wrote:
which were done up in Austin at the now defunct Monster Island.

WELP, that explains a lot. Laughing Those were some class-act dubs, that they were. [/kenshinism]

But they produced gems like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga914HUO8YY

Wink
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Question for Bamboo:

Was Toriko funnier in the dub or in the sub? Considering buying this show, but very curious about the dub, which Funimation is not (so far) streaming samples of on their site.

Such a bummer about the new Kenshin OVA. I remember how excited everyone was about the announcement of a reboot. I think people (including myself) were thinking about what was done with FMA and the more recent Hunter X Hunter. Goes to show what can happen with overly optimistic expectations. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5