• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Letter to Momo Director Hiroyuki Okiura Receives Media Arts Award

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It's good to see more films of this nature get made even they have issues in storytelling. In their entirety they're still worth a look. Never knew the director of 'Jinroh' was responsible for this piece of work. I often wonder if he had done anything before this but after Jinroh.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Cool. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It's good to see more films of this nature get made even they have issues in storytelling. In their entirety they're still worth a look. Never knew the director of 'Jinroh' was responsible for this piece of work. I often wonder if he had done anything before this but after Jinroh.

I am frankly surprised we heard nothing about this film in the last year or so. I mean films like wolf children and Poppy hill are already getting screenings in NA or even trailers but this was not even announced to be released yet :/
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
The award is definitely deserved. And given that fare like The Princess and the Pilot has finally gotten licensed, I expect that this one eventually will be, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
At the film festival last fall I saw what I thought were the big ones aside from Poppy Hill:

Wolf Children
Rainbow Fireflies - Endless Summer Vacation
Asura
Letter to Momo

I have already imported the first two and Asura ships this week but I didn't get Momo. I enjoyed it once but no huge rewatch desire sadly.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
At the film festival last fall I saw what I thought were the big ones aside from Poppy Hill:

Wolf Children
Rainbow Fireflies - Endless Summer Vacation
Asura
Letter to Momo

I have already imported the first two and Asura ships this week but I didn't get Momo. I enjoyed it once but no huge rewatch desire sadly.

I may have to check on some of these titles you mentioned. Rainbow Fireflies seems interesting. I wish someone had picked up The Tibetan Dog. I did see Asura. That was screened last year at the New York Asian Film Festival (NYAFF which is part of Subway Cinemas) which hosts films between both the Japan Society and the Lincoln Center (I think they also include the Asia Society but for other festivals that are not part of the summer annual one). It was part of their creepy Asian animation screening. Asura was screened that first week and Gyo was featured later that week. Both were screened at the Japan Society.

But again it is interesting that these are the only 2 films Hiroyuki Okiura has done. But A Letter to Momo is getting a DVD release from Gkids this year. Though I'm curious if they are going to get a dub for it. But I'm not going to hold my breath, because it may get another screening prior to when the DVD will be set to be released later this year. What I should pick up is the artbook for the film.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Tibetan Dog, another Madhouse production like Wolf Children was at the festival I attended too. I enjoyed it but again not enough for a buy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1