• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Devil Survivor 2: The Animation (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Devil Survivor 2: The Animation
Genres: Demons, Supernatural

Plot:

Quote:
Mysterious invaders called the Septentriones arrive in Japan and begin attacking the country on a Sunday. To fight back, the heroes in Devil Survivor 2 signed a pact with the devil to become the Thirteen Devil Messengers. The Septentriones show up at least once a day and you have a time limit of seven days to defeat them.

Episode 1
Nice, I got what I expected from this. There was a lot of tensions and the premise sticks true to itself. I liked some of the characters' designs along with the summonings. Perhaps the idea of survival becomes more cruel than usual in this series because based on the pilot episode, spoiler[a strange creature already has demonstrated a murderous rampage. That and the train scene underground kinda gives the series a dangerous atmosphere imo.]

Seems like the world is going to end soon till someone does something about it. Yup, that's how is going to be and I can't wait to see how it will be resolved soon. The OP song was also pretty nice. I have not played the game before but I will say that the first episode of Devil Survivor 2 definitely has caught my interest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too thrilled with animation.
I mean that character design could have been better.
The story is really interesting so far.
Just the kind of story that I like ^^
Will be watching this one!
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Yay another anime with Miyuki Sawashiro. The first episode was nice.
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
The animation could've been better, I agree, but I really love the audio and some of the visuals, though the CGI is pretty cheesy. Anime hyper

That scene in the train station was very tense, and so was the one with the spoiler[top demon]. I really thought spoiler[Daichi would die, after the dead face video, but he is a MC so...]

Really good opening and ending. Love it and will keep watching.

My score for the episode: 9/10
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
an average anime. Persona 4 is better. I will probably watch it only because it is on CR.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm really impressed with the first episode. And I disagree with Spotlesseden, I feel it's drastically better than P4A (also note that P4A made me hate the game, when it had been one of my favorites).

I'm not incredibly happy with the episode title scheme, but there's not really a lot that can be done with that to hold the idea of the game's structure. I'm just not a fan of "part 1", "part 2", etc, episodes, where the arc is more than just 2 episodes. Given that the game takes place over spoiler[7 days], it looks like we'll probably get spoiler[3-4 episodes per day for Mon-Fri], which will take us up to about spoiler[episode 20], and leave the last set of episodes for the final. I'm curious as to which ending they'll take, too.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm really impressed with the first episode. And I disagree with Spotlesseden, I feel it's drastically better than P4A (also note that P4A made me hate the game, when it had been one of my favorites).

I'm not incredibly happy with the episode title scheme, but there's not really a lot that can be done with that to hold the idea of the game's structure. I'm just not a fan of "part 1", "part 2", etc, episodes, where the arc is more than just 2 episodes. Given that the game takes place over spoiler[7 days], it looks like we'll probably get spoiler[3-4 episodes per day for Mon-Fri], which will take us up to about spoiler[episode 20], and leave the last set of episodes for the final. I'm curious as to which ending they'll take, too.

fair enough. Different people like different type of anime, that's why there are many anime for people to choose from.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out and if the novelty of the summoning system wears off and it becomes a standard monster battling anime.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Watching it for a second time (for my roommate), and 2 things that did bug me:

1) Dude, starting with 63k Macca?! Not fair!

2) Hibiki starting with spoiler[Byakko], a level spoiler[53]?! Not only not fair, but totally game-breaking, too.

Relating to that one... it's unavoidable and totally Atlus USA's fault, but whereas the anime (including subtitles) and the Japanese version of the game use spoiler[Byakko], the English version of the game uses spoiler[Baihu, the Chinese name]. Again, it's Atlus USA's fault, and I would rather the subs match the dialogue (unlike P4A, which used 'Teddie' in the subs when we're clearly hearing 'Kuma'), but it's still annoying when I'm looking it up for levels.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
(also note that P4A made me hate the game, when it had been one of my favorites).

I admittedly have not played the game (saw the anime, thought it was an alright watch, but I wouldnt buy it), but man, what did the show do to make that happen?? O.o

As for this show, not a bad start. I've never played the game, but this seems pretty cool. Hope it sstays consistent (or gets better), cause P4A was kinda disappointing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Yay another anime with Miyuki Sawashiro. The first episode was nice.

That is what I was thinking, her role here even seems similar to what she is doing in Ginga. Well actually her character seems exactly like her role K based off this episode.

Episode 1

I am not familiar with the game this is based off, but I found the first episode to be very good. A very bright beginning that suddenly takes a dark turn, cool monsters, the character designs were okay. There was something likeable about the opening and closing, which I find good as it has a similar style to K, although I hated that series. Adding a female with the guys was alright, made me feel like comparing it to Durarara.

Well the CG crowed was awful, would hope that they would realize that by now. What other works did the animators work on?.... Mitsudomoe.... I don't know what to take from that.

I am interested in watching more, which is great as in theory I should have hated a range of the style choices used (anything like K, I found the game like aspects to be likable, and the style of showing the video player also looked slick.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Dessa wrote:
(also note that P4A made me hate the game, when it had been one of my favorites).

I admittedly have not played the game (saw the anime, thought it was an alright watch, but I wouldnt buy it), but man, what did the show do to make that happen?? O.o

Having the main character accusing Kanji of intending on raping him, to start with. After seeing that crap, I can't even stand to look at the game case anymore.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:16 am Reply with quote
I find it weird to be watching a show called Devil Survivor 2: The Animation when there has never been a Devil Survivor: The Animation, but whatevs.

Pretty cool first eppie. I especially liked that the chick has short hair and big juggs. My fave kind of female character design.

Look forward to more sophisticated commentary like that in the future.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:03 am Reply with quote
Best first episode that I have seen this season,I especially liked all of the cool sci fi visuals.Hopefully there will be some flaws in this Hibiki character and everything wont be rushed.But I am going to stick around with his one.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode. I must admit, I had Ishida Akira pegged for the Anguished One's VA.

Hopefully it'll get even darker from here on out. Smile

Dessa wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Having the main character accusing Kanji of intending on raping him, to start with. After seeing that crap, I can't even stand to look at the game case anymore.

The story mode is better read than played, IMO. It's slower than Senate debates.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7