• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Jersey Task Force Recommends Game Regulation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supermutant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I think ID is not bad idea. I'm not sure about the other stuff. I'm older video game player I don't think should be playing certain games.

"violent media leads to more aggressive attitudes, values and behavior,"

You know what I know a lot people were exposed to that as kid that didn't lead to those things. I'm ones of those people. I'm sorry but whenever anything happens or there is feeling of country going down morals they blame something. Comics, tv, movies, video games, Rock N Roll. You name it's been blamed. Nut case will always find a way to kill and have long before those ever existed.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
How about cutting out the violence in movies too? And gun culture? Oh no wait, those have massive lobbies so they're exempt.

The only thing that needs regulation is Christie's diet.
NERVchild

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
So their recommendation is to actually make stores enforce ESRB guidelines? MAKE the stores do their job? What craziness! </sarcasm>

In addition, what kind of money does MA pour into its rest stops where they can have arcades? Around here you're doing good if the place has a map on the wall.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I live in New Jersey & I think that this is stupid.
I still have fond childhood memories of going to the local video store renting games like "Mortal Kombat" without any parental guardian or proof of age of any sort.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I think this causes more violent behavior in New Jersey than video games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCvj4kTJqT8
CarlFox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Standard politics in the United States: find a scapegoat (preferably one not writing Congress creatures large checks), and declare it a public menace. The real problems don't ever get solved, but hey, they're protecting us from those vicious, vicious video games...

I don't have a problem with there being a rating system, and said system being used to inform consumers of content, but when you start using it as a censorship tool, that's going over the line.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Laughing Razz
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
All I can say is I'm glad I don't live in New Jersey.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:27 am Reply with quote
The games industry asking for no censorship is as specious as anyone else asking for special treatment.

Though of course the response of the government will be nonsense like arbitrary age restrictions, rather than thoughtful reflection about the American media's contextal presentation of violence.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
NERVchild wrote:
So their recommendation is to actually make stores enforce ESRB guidelines? MAKE the stores do their job? What craziness! </sarcasm>
There's never been an enforcement mechanism to the ESRB's judgements - there might be some laws that happen to forbid selling certain games to certain people, but they're all completely separate. It's entirely up to the individual store(or chain) to decide its own policies on the matter.
Quote:
In addition, what kind of money does MA pour into its rest stops where they can have arcades? Around here you're doing good if the place has a map on the wall.
Massachusetts isn't very big(there's at least one bigger county) and is heavily urban. I doubt it would be very difficult.
faintsmile1992 wrote:
The games industry asking for no censorship is as specious as anyone else asking for special treatment.
Even if this were "special treatment"(it's not - there aren't any legislated rating boards in the US), then that would mean it needed expanding to cover everybody, not taken away.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
How about cutting out the violence in movies too? And gun culture? Oh no wait, those have massive lobbies so they're exempt.

How tasteful. Rolling Eyes

You make fun of Chris Christie's right to be whatever weight he wants to be, yet everyone here can advocate for the right of anyone to play any sort of video game they want to?

You don't choose sides with libertarianism -- you don't choose what freedoms you like, you choose all freedoms or you reject libertarianism.
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Fellow libertarian? Cool. It's basically the (mostly) left wing nuts can't get our guns (and we should own any firearm we want) so they attack video games as usual scapegoat #2. Fienstien,Obama and these other morons are the perfect example of "fearing what they don't like or understand" and try to legislate it out of existence or they're just flat out authoritarians with a god complex
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The only regulation needed: POLITICIAN control.

Make them take social studies tests, IQ tests, term limits, age limits, and pay them minimum wage. Let the bastards live off donations if they're that goddamn popular. If they pass a law violating the Constitution of the United States of America, strip them of their office, ban them from politics for life, and imprison them for high treason.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
hitokiriizo wrote:
Fellow libertarian? Cool. It's basically the (mostly) left wing nuts can't get our guns (and we should own any firearm we want) so they attack video games as usual scapegoat #2. Fienstien,Obama and these other morons are the perfect example of "fearing what they don't like or understand" and try to legislate it out of existence or they're just flat out authoritarians with a god complex

Actually it's the right who wants to ban video games due to their entire M.O being "control the populace and legislate religious morality into law".

But I guess you can go on your insane anarchist screed if you want.
mdreura

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
hitokiriizo wrote:

Actually it's the right who wants to ban video games due to their entire M.O being "control the populace and legislate religious morality into law".

But I guess you can go on your insane anarchist screed if you want.

ANN has officially become FARK.

Awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2