• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Announces The Guyver

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravejaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote
ADV completes the trifecta of shows I don't care about. Was hoping they would license at least 1 show that looks interesting.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote
So three of three and the only standout I see is the Excel Saga creative-minds show and Pani Poni Dash. Still, a great Con for animes which are on caffeine and other substances.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm happy that they're releasing this. It'll look good next to the my Guyver OVA DVDs.
GospelX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
There are a number of people who've been waiting for this for a while. I'm really happy to see it coming over here, although it was pretty much a foregone conclusion given that they produced it and all. Now it just needs to generate sales so we can get a followup series.
Xtreme-X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah I can't wait for this since I loved the OVA and the movie so much.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:11 am Reply with quote
I'm glad it's been licensed. The old OAV series is cool but only tells a fraction of the story. This new series has the potential to tell the whole guyver story if popular enough.

I hope Viz then pull their finger out of their ass and finish releasing the manga in english. To be honest they might as well re-release the first six volumes in unflipped format, then do the rest. Much more chnace of it happening now, so thanks ADV.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I always wanted a GUYVER television show to be in the U.S. I'm glad it's getting licensed. But one question. Do you think it wll be on The Anime Network or [adult swim]?

off-topic: How do I get to The Anime Network? I don't know how to get to that channle. But I still have cable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GuyverC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
I always wanted a GUYVER television show to be in the U.S. I'm glad it's getting licensed. But one question. Do you think it wll be on The Anime Network or [adult swim]?

off-topic: How do I get to The Anime Network? I don't know how to get to that channle. But I still have cable.

For the love of god, I hope not.

It doesn't have the popularity backing that some shows do, and it is more of a serious Sci-fi show ( as opposed to Cowboy Bebop ect... which have both comedy moments and serious moments, Guyver is mainly all serious.). And sure the new series isn't as bloody and gory as the old 12 part OAV... but some of the violence would still need a lot of editing.

Anime Network, possibly, since it doesn't have the editing restrictions that CN would have. But definatly not CN.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:20 am Reply with quote
GuyverC wrote:
Riyousha wrote:

For the love of god, I hope not.

It doesn't have the popularity backing that some shows do, and it is more of a serious Sci-fi show ( as opposed to Cowboy Bebop ect... which have both comedy moments and serious moments, Guyver is mainly all serious.). And sure the new series isn't as bloody and gory as the old 12 part OAV... but some of the violence would still need a lot of editing.

Anime Network, possibly, since it doesn't have the editing restrictions that CN would have. But definatly not CN.

I didn't say Cartoon Network wold show it. You probably didn't understand my post. I said if [adult swim] would show it. Usually since [adult swim] never edits animes. They just leave them like it is. Besides, GUYVER is way too gory for Cartoon Network. So the only CN block it can show on is [adult swim]. So would The Anime Network show it or would [adult swim] show it? And I really need to know how to get to The Anime Network. I have cable but I don't know how to get to that channle.

P.S. I didn't say GUYVER was funny.

Last edited by Riyousha on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Guyvernight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
I hope Viz then pull their finger out of their ass and finish releasing the manga in english. To be honest they might as well re-release the first six volumes in unflipped format, then do the rest. Much more chnace of it happening now, so thanks ADV.

I hate to be the one to tell you this but viz gave up on Guyver a long time ago, you can get it in english unedited and unfliped from Chuang-yi publishing in Singapore; they are up to volume 9. A few online stores will sell it and ship to the States(like wallgarden.com.sg or popular.com.sg).

I hope ADV puts a box out like the one they have in japan.
http://www.guyver.jp/images/news/dvd/dvd_package.jpg
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
And I really need to know how to get to The Anime Network. I have cable but I don't know how to get to that channle.

The Anime Network is only available in certain area, or if you want you can do PPV of anime, if your cable company has it. Otherwise go the website to check if your local listening is in the area.

Riyousha wrote:
Usually since [adult swim] never edits animes. They just leave them like it is. Besides, GUYVER is way too gory for Cartoon Network. So the only CN block it can show on is [adult swim]. So would The Anime Network show it or would [adult swim] show it?

No they do edit the series, but when it's on AS there is less editing because of the timeslot it is in. As for which show will show it more then likely it will air The Anime Network, but there is a possible (small) chance that it could air on AS. But more then likely your best bet is DVD, actually there aren't that many ADV programs on AS, just EVA I think that could be in part because The Anime Network is like their own personal network.

Edit: I forgot mention what I thought about all of this, anywho I have a lot of friends who like the OAV so I know there going to be glad about the series being pick up. That a good things that ADV didn't leave everyone hanging by not picking up this last TV series.
Till next time,
Delta Kiral
solidtran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen all of the new series yet, but so far I like the OAV storyline a little better. Maybe the creators assumed that most people already have seen the OAV so they took out some of the surprise moments. But I'm still looking forward to watching the rest of the new series on DVD...

Thanks ADV!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1