• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, April 22-28

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wootsman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:09 am Reply with quote
I just realized how silly that it is that I only check these articles to see how well Jojo is doing.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote
Evangelion's kicking ass and taking names as expected and it's always nice to see GuP doing well.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
Note that 3.33 actually posted ~200k fewer first week sales than 2.22.

See here for more detailed breakdowns, including the DVD numbers. And keep in mind these are only preliminary, we get more data on Thursdays (though ANN does not report them for whatever reason)
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:59 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

See here for more detailed breakdowns, including the DVD numbers. And keep in mind these are only preliminary, we get more data on Thursdays (though ANN does not report them for whatever reason)

It also sold better in theater than all of Rebuild films combined I believe.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

It also sold better in theater than all of Rebuild films combined I believe.

That it did, and it more or less balances out.

Still, its something that should be kept in mind. Especially considering the movie's very...mixed reception
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote
A much more polarizing movie, combined with a first press extra that isn't as appealing (naturally, I wasn't aware of EVA's existence when they were selling first press 2.22 with the film strips) means the sales will suffer. Of course, EVA wouldn't be EVA if it didn't have controversy over its "quality".

I'm just glad I was able to import and watch it so I don't have to agonize over when Funimation or whoever decides to finally bring 3.33 overseas. Bring on Evangelion: Final!!
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote
That's incredible for the new EVA movie. 312K units at around $60 each, almost $20 million just in Blu Ray sales. That's just unreal.

Good for everyone who worked on that project and looking forward to an R1 release and also the fourth and final film of the rebuild project.
chao8971

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
wootsman wrote:
I just realized how silly that it is that I only check these articles to see how well Jojo is doing.

I'm doing the same thing myself. I guess I should feel a little silly.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
Does anyone have the all-time top selling DVD/blu-ray list for anime movie franchises please ? I can't find it and I'd like to know where Evangelion 3.33 is in the list after a few days on the market. I think it's probably 4th behind 'One Piece Strong World' but I'd like confirmation and to know how much it needs to sell to have a 100% Evangelion top 3, at least until the 'One Piece Z' DVD/blu-ray comes out.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
Even if these numbers are significantly lower than for 2.22, moving >433k combined units in the first week is pretty damn impressive. Those numbers rival Ghibli films for first-week performance, I believe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sparvid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
Eva 2.22 sold 357,304 blu rays in the first week, compared to 3.33's 312,842.
But a crapload more DVD's, for some reason.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote
Girls und Panzer moved more BD/DVDs than Sword Art Online for the first time. Thats the most impressive thing from this week of sales to me. GuP actually has an outside chance of averaging more sales per volume if SAO continues to fall in its later volumes and GuP stays very consistent.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
Good to see Jojo still going strong. Hope this one'll stay on the charts for a while.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
i wonder how long it will remain in the top ten, if it approaches 500,000 million i would be impressed. its doing pretty well for itself regardless. I actually purchased the japanese import, and really there isint anything here that eva hasant already done, its pissing alot of people off but they are either idiots who hope for a more standard series or dont know jack about nge in general, anno is just repeating himself for the most part.

spoiler[kaworu died, shinji becomes despondent..... AGAIN, nothing new people so why is everybody getting their panties in a twist?, ]anno changed plenty of things ultimately im still intrigued, a sign anno still has it. its no substitute for the original series, despite the orgasm inducing visuals.

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added - and gee, thanks for the big spoiler. Do NOT assume that everyone reading this thread has seen the movie already. - Key]
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
i wonder how long it will remain in the top ten, if it approaches 500,000 million i would be impressed.
A) Everybody in the whole world would need to buy 72 copies to make that happen. B) SPOILER TAGS!!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2