• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fushigi Yûgi's Watase Pens 'Ano Koneko no Mirai wo Watashi wa Shiranai' 1-Shot

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Wait, the spinoff lasted seven years longer than the original!?!??
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, Yuu Watase was releasing it each chapter monthly... Plus, there were some problems along the way. Like her FY magazine ending (which initially had the new chapters out), jumping magazines after that, her getting sick, her mom not well... You know, life stuff. At least she finished it.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
Well, Yuu Watase was releasing it each chapter monthly... Plus, there were some problems along the way. Like her FY magazine ending (which initially had the new chapters out), jumping magazines after that, her getting sick, her mom not well... You know, life stuff. At least she finished it.

I loved FY but Ayashi no Ceres kind of killed my respect for her...
Oraculo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote
Neutral Now I'm all worried about that kitten's future… Surprised
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
Ohhh this is very exciting! I wonder what kind of "new world the series will open up?" Hoping for a new longer series.. Sounds like josei stuff.. Still hoping that that kitty to grow up as a white tiger called the legend of Byakko. lol

She needs a new serial along with Arata. But she need not to overworked herself..

Best news I have heard this year!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:18 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure Watase knows how not to overwork herself.

And yeah, Genbu is 6 volumes shorter than the original FY, even if it took longer to be released.

Also, if you haven't read anything from her since Ceres, you're missing out. Most of my favourite titles from her were written well after that one.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote
Zettai Kareshi... is not exactly my kind of manga.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:31 am Reply with quote
Okay, that one is definitely weaker, though it's still not something I would call bad. But then you have things like Alice 19th and Imadoki, and of course Genbu Kaiden, all of which are amoung my all-time favourite manga.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
What? She finished Genbu Kaiden? How did I miss that? Oh, probably because Viz still hasn't released the final volume here. Phew...

It seems like Watase is the kind of manga-ka who can't take a break for long, seeing as she's writing a one-shot (premise for a new shojo or josei series, perhaps?) while Arata still comes out weekly in Sunday! If Bakuman has taught me anything, it's that manga-ka have crazy schedules.

I wonder if Viz will ever collect her one-shots in a volume (assuming that she has enough one-shots to collect)
DeviousDybbuk

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:36 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to see the ending to Genbu Kaiden, though I wish it could have gone on longer. Watase's storytelling skills have improved a lot, the original FY and Ceres felt a bit draggy at parts, but not this series!

I hope in the future she can do the Byakko series, that would be awesome Very Happy
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I wonder if Viz will ever collect her one-shots in a volume (assuming that she has enough one-shots to collect)

^This so much! Watase has plenty of one-shots thats more than enough for one volume. They did a tankoubon, collection of her short series' called "Watase Yuu The Best Selection".. I keep having faith for Watase's old short series to get published here! Needless to say, I would like to get all of her work!

DeviousDybbuk wrote:
Can't wait to see the ending to Genbu Kaiden, though I wish it could have gone on longer. Watase's storytelling skills have improved a lot, the original FY and Ceres felt a bit draggy at parts, but not this series!

Yeah.. I kind of wish it was longer, but 12 volumes is alright. Just for the record, Genbu Kaiden never felt draggish although it did felt a little too rushed at some parts..

Watase has the tendency to have a simulatenous ongoing series.. Since she only has Arata, I'm crossing my fingers for a revelation of a new project on May 15! It's very likely....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1