• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - 50 Years of Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
The episode isn't downloading for me, either via iTunes (Mac) or from an iPhone.

The podcast XML says the enclosure file is animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/anncast/62546/anncast153.mp3, and that's not working with curl or with a browser (I get the error page with Nina).

Update: you know what, the file's misnamed in the XML. It should be anncast154.mp3.

Update 2: Fixed as of 6:15 ET / 3:15 PT. Thanks, Zac.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with the Twitter ribbing, but the fact that nobody seemed to pick up on this despite my explicitly stating it outright means I'd better just say it AGAIN:

There's a perfectly good reason why I covered roughly everything for the year 1980 despite the implied directive of "pick the shows that are noteworthy," and that's the fact that there's a disconnect between what is considered "noteworthy" among current-era otaku and what was actually noteworthy at the time in terms of what people were watching and what was moving merchandise.

Do more American anime fans in 2013 know about Ideon than the animated adaptation of Blue Bird, the 1908 play from Maurice Maeterlinck? Sure. But the latter is the one that aired all around the world in several different languages and was the kind of thing that helped make this whole "anime" thing a global phenomenon, even if kids' eyes would glaze over and not really read all those Japanese names in the credits to realize "hey, this is Japanese animation." That level of exposure goes a long way in the long run. I don't think too many people in Japan would really consider GoLion one of the biggest anime series of the 80s, but the fact that it aired around the world means that a whole ton of people in America know what Voltron is. The opposite is also true: something that's a big international hit that got no English fansubs or US broadcast would almost certainly never be mentioned by any English-language writer asked to pick out what was "noteworthy."

So it's not that I have no filtering mechanism for notability. It's that pretty much everybody else is using the exact same filter. Maybe--just maybe--that's skewing the results a bit!

spoiler[Also, my 1980 writeup was a style parody of Mike Toole's column-writing approach.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
there's a disconnect between what is considered "noteworthy" among current-era otaku and what was actually noteworthy at the time in terms of what people were watching and what was moving merchandise.
The opposite is also true: something that's a big international hit that got no English fansubs or US broadcast would almost certainly never be mentioned by any English-language writer asked to pick out what was "noteworthy."

So it's not that I have no filtering mechanism for notability. It's that pretty much everybody else is using the exact same filter. Maybe--just maybe--that's skewing the results a bit!

That's a nice way of putting it, Daryl. Likewise, when I chose my year (it's in the 2000s) I knew that simply listing the most popular titles would be pointless, because everyone else would have done so already. Therefore, I purposefully put a requirement on the shows I would talk about. Sure, a few popular titles would still fit through, but at the same time it allowed me to look at what my chosen year offered and what made it different from the others. It allowed me to essentially say "Hey, you don't like that I didn't mention [insert "popular" show of the year] in this essay? Well, then look elsewhere, because I'm looking at the year in a specific way." I want to talk about titles that others may not have heard of, or at least don't get the usual talk. Granted, I have still tried to be fair & include some mentions to other titles here & there (and, even then, I tend to mention the lesser-known titles), and at the end I'm still including a paragraph that brings up what most people would likely consider to be the "obvious titles to talk about". They may not fit in with the focus on my essay, but they're still worth mentioning, even in passing.

Anyway, it's been great reading all of the essays that have been put out so far, and I feel very honored that I have been given the chance to join these great writers in such an ambitious & grand project. It's not about money in this case, it's about educating & learning at the same time, and as someone who loves knowing about the history of things I am loving this whole experience.

Geoff, thank you for thinking of an idea that has me getting off my lazy ass & finally watching shows that I have thought about watching for so long, not to mention re-visit some others I haven't seen in years. I am having a blast watching the shows that I'm covering in my essay, and I think that's showing in my essay that I am slowly, gradually completing. Only a couple left to go!

You rock, dude.
Drac

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:45 am Reply with quote
I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I've been greatly enjoying the blog since its launch. I especially appreciate the earliest entries since those decades are all but ignored here.
GTebbetts

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
First of all, I want to thank Zac for getting in touch with me and asking for a podcast interview. I do want to make this project more about the contributors than myself, but I hope I can stand in as a capable representative for the project.

Second of all, my apologies to Daryl for the overused jokes about the length of his article. I've not only jumped the shark on that topic, but I'm pretty sure I've cleared a pod or orca whales, a battleship, and fifteen buses of kids going to Sea World.

Finally, I hope people understand just how organic this project started and how much it has ballooned in such a small space. I hope that what we are providing is more than just an extension of an online encyclopedia, but also a glimpse at how some people have digested these years of anime and turned it into knowledge and observation. I'm not sure how this butterfly of a blog will flap its wings and affect its surroundings, but if it can get fans to open up to shows from the past, I think it's done some of the job it was set to do.

By all means, we're still looking for feedback on the blog itself and how to proceed from here. In all likelihood, to provide a better product, we'll be making a once-a-week submission schedule, and we might even be on the hunt for end-of-the-year opinion pieces on what the overall journey means to people. I do like the idea of taking the yearly slices of the overall loaf of anime clay, pushing them back together, then cutting lengthwise instead of downwards in order to view the trends. That's something I would consider to make this a project that spans the entire year, not just the first seven months.

After that, who knows? I'd love to hear what people think!

The Golden Ani-Versary of Anime
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
Great podcast. The Golden-Ani definitely needs more readers. It felt like a ghost town for the first few months, but I've really enjoyed and appreciated this project.

After the 2010's era is wrapped up, it definitely seems fun to extend it by exploring the many genres from the decades. Would really love for the blog to keep going, if only for a little while.

Definitely love the blog. I'll be sure to leave some comments as I read and re-read some articles within the next week.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely try reading some of the articles and leaving comments where I see fit. Even though I have less aversion to older anime than most (most can't even seem to stomach 80s), I just find it really difficult to want to follow through on watching long old series, like older than 1978. It's just gotta be a stand out show for me to bother.
Prede

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I was very proud to be a part of this project. I did the year 1985 and I had a lot of fun. Special thanks to Mr. Tebbetts for editing my piece, and starting the project in the first place. And a shout out to Bussani and DonKangolJones who looked over my piece before I sent it in. Glad to hear a big love and respect of the 80's by Geoff Tebbetts =) . It is of course my favorite decade Wink. Also glad to see how much he likes FLCL, which is my all time favorite anime Smile .

I'd love to see this published as a (e) book or shown around wherever it can be. But I understand that would be very difficult for him to do. It's a lot of work, and all for free/fun. So yeah... I don't mind if that never happens. I just want everyone to check this project out (and comment!!), and not just because I wrote for it Razz . But also because I love the idea of respecting the past, and looking at the past, and watching older shows. I think way too often people ignore anime from before 2005, or before 1999, or before 1989, or something. And I think that's a shame, there's good anime from all over. That doesn't mean you shouldn't watch new anime, but do give the classics a nice watch or two.

Great episode Zac and Geoff !
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Fifty years of anime, wow. It's just amazing. : )
Arsenette

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the podcast and the link to the articles. I feel a strange disconnect with it though. I grew up in the early 70's but anime to me always came in a time delay. Whatever was in US television (Star Blazers, marine boy, speed racer, etc.) didn't hit until years after they were produced in Japan. So it's strange going to some of these years and going "well.. that's now how I experienced it" but that's looking through my American viewpoint and not what was going on in Japan. Even something like my All-time Favorite Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers) I had to go back 5 years earlier than my recollection. Luckily as time went on and the rest of the world caught up to Japan the time lag wasn't as substantial and now we can watch shows literally an hour after it aired. Boy how time flies and things change.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
Thanks for the podcast and the link to the articles. I feel a strange disconnect with it though. I grew up in the early 70's but anime to me always came in a time delay. Whatever was in US television (Star Blazers, marine boy, speed racer, etc.) didn't hit until years after they were produced in Japan. So it's strange going to some of these years and going "well.. that's now how I experienced it" but that's looking through my American viewpoint and not what was going on in Japan. Even something like my All-time Favorite Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers) I had to go back 5 years earlier than my recollection. Luckily as time went on and the rest of the world caught up to Japan the time lag wasn't as substantial and now we can watch shows literally an hour after it aired. Boy how time flies and things change.

Yeah a couple of people have addressed that. It's fascinating, really... when I got into anime I was still "sourcing" shows from 3-5 years before "my time."

Now it's the brave new world of instant access. Yowza.
GTebbetts

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all your feedback, guys. As we discussed in the podcast, we're trying to figure out the next step beyond the coverage of each of the 50 years since Astroboy.

By the way, we just posted 1995 on our site. Give it a read!

1995: A Year of Old Ideas In New Ways
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1