• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Berserk: The Golden Age Arc II DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
Personally I liked this movie a lot and I thought it was a pretty clear improvement over the first Berserk film since the direction felt a bit clearer this time around. I do think some of those misogamy complaints are pretty valid though it really didn't hamper the experience that much for me and the guy responsible for most of itspoiler[ was killed rather horribly in the end which was pretty satisfying]. Also thought the animation was slightly more improved than in the first film but there were definently a few scenes (like the ballroom thing) that felt really jaring with CG and makes me wish they had really only used it for the war scenes.

Really looking forward to the last movie since this ended on a pretty big cliffhanger, and I'm curious to see where it all goes.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
I've had a casual interest in Berserk for awhile now and so I've been very interested in seeing the reception these movies have, since I know that the original anime series doesn't have an ending. I suppose I'll wait and see how the third one does before deciding if I want to watch it or not, though hopefully I'll eventually have the internet access to support something like Neon Alley and be able to legally stream my anime.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Well i have neon alley on my PS3 but the buffering issuses are far worse. for some people like myself the app completely freezes. would have better off if it was released on DVD first before going to neon alley. Hell they could have released it to AS since it's definitely AS material and when it to high ultra violent anime series like the original beserk TV series and others like Mad Bull 34 & Ninja Scroll I'm the biggest die hard fan around.

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
As has been mentioned, there are two attempted rape scenes (admittedly the dialogue is more disturbing than the images) and also one full-out consensual sex scene. It clearly isn't hentai – no genitals are shown – but it is still quite graphic, although not, as we find out later, gratuitous.

how is that possilble?

The Aki Sora OVA's never had any genitals shown at all except the boob shots, but it was treated as hentai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gahoolefan93

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
fudge this review. The animation is ALOT better tan the first film and the music is EXCELLENT.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
What a coincidence; I just saw the first two Berserk films last night! Shocked
I wanted to look for the manga but, decide to watch the films/TV series before I moved on to the next arc. I have to agree about the 3D; so awful and terrible. It makes the series look like a two hour(ish) cutsecne from a PS2 game. There were moments were not even the grass was rendered.

I noticed the menstruation scene as showing no basic research on the female body; Casca is in her late-twenties but, passes out on her period that she must have had a few hundred times before? I wonder how current female soldiers would have responded to that.

I saw this in Japanese so, I'm sure of the English performance but. Takahiro Sakurai does a great job as Griffith. The scene with him and spoiler[the 16 year old princess] was more creepy than sensual which, I hope, was the point. But, the villains are really campy in this. One of the General's reminded me of FMA! Armstong's passed down for generations catchphrase. Cunning yet calm, he's pretty good as villainous/anti-hero roles. Other than Guts and Casca, the other Black Hawks aren't quite as memorable. They say a few lines here and there but, for me, they are just a bunch of guys waiting for the next battle scene. An average film overall.
amarielah

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
The only way I can imagine her having such a heavy period that she actually fainted was that she had stopped menstruating as a result of malnutrition and then started again, which has been known to result in very heavy, painful periods. And would make sense, given the setting.

That said, it was a completely unnecessary addition to the story. And it certainly wasn't explained as being an unusual experience for her.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

how is that possilble?

The Aki Sora OVA's never had any genitals shown at all except the boob shots, but it was treated as hentai.

I guess it's a matter of opinion - the scene was more graphic than most of what gets released here under a non-hentai label, which is why I mentioned it as such - but it could easily make people very uncomfortable. I haven't seen Aki Sora, so I can't compare it to that, but in terms of stuff like 11Eyes, it was much more explicit.

Also, sorry to hear about your buffering. It was annoying enough on my machine with a small amount. Crying or Very sad

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
I noticed the menstruation scene as showing no basic research on the female body; Casca is in her late-twenties but, passes out on her period that she must have had a few hundred times before? I wonder how current female soldiers would have responded to that.

My cousin in the army is pissed.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
About the period, I thought Casca was also sick. She did have a fever. Someone mentioned infrequent periods due to malnutrition, but it's also not unusual for women who exercise a lot to have fewer or no periods. And don't think it was normal thing for her; it it was, I doubt she would still be with the Hawks.

Overall, I really have enjoyed Berserk. Unfortunately, Neon Alley is still having those freezing/skipping issues! Evil or Very Mad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I felt it was an improvement on the first film in so far as being a better adaptation of the manga, put together better, and better paced, but so many important plot points and explanations were skipped or briefed through. You're missing so much of the "why" the original story has that these films simply don't have the time or care for. It'd be like trying to do Game of Thrones in a set of films rather than the properly placed and well-advised format of 52 minute installments. In comparison to the low budget 1997 Berserk series, I'd still choose that show over these films, and people even call that a butchering of the manga.

I was hoping the third film would actually be a vast improvement on the older anime, but things I've heard suggest otherwise.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

And rightfully so!

Quote:
A Neon Alley watermark is visible at all times in the lower right corner of the screen; it's irritating at first, but one does get used to it.

That's ...odd. On Hulu, Funi's logo tends to disappear then, reappear briefly. Even on TV, the logo's for some networks fades away; were they afraid of someone live-streaming it?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
To all those still suffering with the skipping/freezing issues on Neon Alley, I've found that switching from the PS3 app to my 360 has helped tremendously.

On my PS3, I still get tons of freezing, skipping, and low quality video. But on my 360, it almost never freezes or skips, and the video quality stays pretty consistent.

To all of you who own both systems, I recommend switching over if you find that you're having problems with one of them. You might be pleased with the results.

Yet another reason why "PSN is free because it sucks." Razz Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
But Casca is not your cousin, and would your cousin be whelding a heavy steel sword wearing heavy metal armor fighting in close combat for hours.? Are you implying that no woman can have a bad period, or passout due to sudden drop of blood pressure? My mother always had bad periods for as long as I was aware of them. Sometimes she had to come home from work because of them right up when the doctor's tests finally found out she had a huge fibroid which caused her to have a hysterectomy. I found that criticism much too generalised.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Are you implying that no woman can have a bad period, or passout due to sudden drop of blood pressure? My mother always had bad periods for as long as I was aware of them. Sometimes she had to come home from work because of them right up when the doctor's tests finally found out she had a huge fibroid which caused her to have a hysterectomy. I found that criticism much too generalised.

Hardly - I am a woman, you know. I know many women who have bad periods, irregular menstrual cycles, the whole nine yards. The difference is that before a bad period, one is generally able to tell it is coming - soreness in the breasts and cramping are just two of physical signs. If Casca were prone to this sort of difficult period, she would have been well aware of its arrival previous to the moment it came; the show made it seem like she was surprised by it, which was more of my issue.

It is also hardly a use of menstruation as a "weakness" or "disease" that is unique to Berserk. A New Zealand CEO just two years ago cited it as a reason women make less money than men. The fact that it was used as an easy way to weaken the character, and that it promoted a mythology that I find harmful to gender equality, was at the heart of my criticisms.

And for the record, my cousin didn't watch the show with me. I discussed it with her after I had submitted the review.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Ah, medieval age. Nutrition and medical knowledge based much on old wives' tales. They don't know any better.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember the questionable scene under discussion was also found in the original Berserk manga, but I haven't read it in a long, long time. In any case, the movies are fine in terms of casual viewing but still inferior to the original work, thanks to the use of sloppy 3D for portraying human beings and the unavoidable compression of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4