• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Capcom VP: Digital Ace Attorney 5 Release Will Not Hurt Sales

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think the fact some people are stubborn and refuse to buy digital will hurt its sales. The only question is how many sales they will lose.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well, I think the fact some people are stubborn and refuse to buy digital will hurt its sales. The only question is how many sales they will lose.

I don't understand why you are so defensive of Capcom. They are a poor company with a poor reputation, at least in the US. The Phoenix Wright digital only thing aside they have done so many crapsack moves I honestly don't see how you can sit there and support them. Supporting this move will lead them to saying oh lets just push more and more things to digital, and what do you think will happen if sales flounder as digital only. Digital only is one step away from complete discontinuation in the US. If they thought Wright would rebound why not release it on physical media, they probably think it will remain somewhere around Edgeworth's numbers.

And for the record, i have unfortunately supported this company in the past, 3 copies of Wright 1, 1 each of 2, 3, Apollo, and Edgeworth. My reward for supporting this miserable company, a digital only release.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care about Capcom, I just realize that for any major company, its just not worth the time and money to do physical releases for these kinds of games. I'm just happy they are localizing it, since so many of these major companies don't even bother doing that if they don't see the potential for big sales (hello Namco). I'd rather have digital than nothing at all, so thats why I'm okay with this decision.
skafreak51

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah? You mean that company that sold less than half of their estimates of video games in 2012? The company that thought Resident Evil 6 was going to sell something crazy like 12million+ copies and sold less than half?

Is the same company that has been consistently losing money for the last several years SERIOUSLY trying to argue this?

No, Capcom, you are wrong. You've been wrong for a REALLY long time. I'm not going to buy it without a physical release. I buy all my games physical (other than old retro games.)

I'd much rather buy a bootleg or pirate it, sadly, which I never ever do.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I don't understand why you are so defensive of Capcom. They are a poor company with a poor reputation, at least in the US.

Mostly by people who have no idea how markets work.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well, I think the fact some people are stubborn and refuse to buy digital will hurt its sales.

I think some people like to actually own something after buying it.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
I don't understand why you are so defensive of Capcom. They are a poor company with a poor reputation, at least in the US.

Mostly by people who have no idea how markets work.

I said it before in my other post what capcom needs to do is make I don't around 300,000 physical copies of this game. put them up for sale on online retail sites such as amazon, game-stop or even wal-mart. Once they have sold a huge portion of those copies make more to sell.

If they happen not sell a huge portions of units in 3-5 month span, let retailers mark down and sell what ever is left in stock. If you happen to miss your chance of buying the physical copy then sorry about your luck. This is how niche gaming markets work and capcom really should consider it for it's fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well, I think the fact some people are stubborn and refuse to buy digital will hurt its sales.

I think some people like to actually own something after buying it.

You do own digital (in particular how eShop purchases are handled*). Its ridiculous to say otherwise.

Some people don't put as much stock in plastic and metal bits as we do THE GAME. Which is what you get when you buy digital games.

*even if you can't move them between devices easily

Last edited by Mr Adventure on Wed May 15, 2013 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
I'm cool with AA5 being Download only.

I just want to know where Professor Layton and the Ace Attorney is at.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah. And Devil May Cry reboot didn't hurt any sales either. Ri-i-i-ight?
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Also, it takes a credit card or Nintendo Points to get a copy. Kids that are younger, high school middle school, won't be able to go to their local Wal-Mart to get one, and also, no one can just pick it up as a whim buy at the game corner. This kind of stops the series from gaining new interest from newcomers...
burnpsy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
This story's missing something that puts the entire story into perspective.

Siliconera added more of his statements, saying that, if they simply said they wouldn't release it, people would be begging for it to at least be brought over digitally. Which is so true that it hurts, as can be clearly seen with Senran Kagura right now.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote
Not going to buy a digital release. I want my games able to be held in my hand via cartridge or disc, able to pop it in at anytime. I don't want to have to keep track of it and hope I can download it again if I need to.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:58 am Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:
This story's missing something that puts the entire story into perspective.

Siliconera added more of his statements, saying that, if they simply said they wouldn't release it, people would be begging for it to at least be brought over digitally. Which is so true that it hurts, as can be clearly seen with Senran Kagura right now.

Heres the exact quote:

“We worked very hard to ensure a Western release on this title,” Svensson says. “If we’d said ‘no, it’s not coming’, it would have triggered the inevitable ‘please bring it to eShop, at least’ cries. Instead we shortcutted that and brought it straight to eShop.”

But yeah, it seems people are being a bit too greedy here. From what it sounds like, it was a struggle to even get a digital release. Asking for more than that is too much, we should be happy its even being given a chance over here.

Everything can't always be perfect. But as long as you're a gamer, it should be fine since you still get the game. If you're more into collecting plastic boxes, you might run into an issue though.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
If you're going to whine about it being eShop only, you're going to be the one to blame when Capcom says "this didn't sell well so we are not bringing over more Ace Attorney games".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3