• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Offers 1 Million Yen & Chance to Get Idea Made Into Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
Oh good lord, I'd JUMP on this chance if I had the money, skills, and means of getting my ideas out to them! But my story ideas are much too complex to be summarized in less than 40 pages.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
I'd like to know the fine print, couldn't find that section on the linked site.

Google Translate only does so much, but what I could extract from the comments there (at least if the translations are not completely off), feels a bit worrying, rights transferred exclusively to Canyon, no mention of royalties (would that apply only to the winners, or to all submissions?)...

One thing a lot of the comments seem to have in common is that this kind of feels like an intentional rip-off of Kyoto Animation Award.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I'd like to know the fine print, couldn't find that section on the linked site.

Google Translate only does so much, but what I could extract from the comments there (at least if the translations are not completely off), feels a bit worrying, rights transferred exclusively to Canyon, no mention of royalties (would that apply only to the winners, or to all submissions?)...

One thing a lot of the comments seem to have in common is that this kind of feels like an intentional rip-off of Kyoto Animation Award.

You would need to be able to read and write Japanese, no question. So yeah. But who knows if that's true.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I feel like my novel I published last year would make the perfect anime. It's not the best thing in the world, tbh, but I do feel as if it would translate well to that format. Oh well... :s
-MgZ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Very nice move.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I have a few ideas, but even if I knew Japanese, I'm not sure how well a story about a female angel (I should also mention that her wings are made completely out of machine guns) tearing through Heaven after it's been turned into a dystopia with her demon boyfriend who's a gun and a revolutionary guerilla faction would fly.

I need to finish my novel.
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
it sounds like they ran out of ideas and want the community to make some for them Twisted Evil
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Pony Canyon does not make ideas, they appear to be a production and distribution company.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Since I can't draw, the idea of submitting of my stories for consideration is beyond unbelievable (the one about a space police force would be a perfect idea for an anime!). But there's always a catch... in this case, it has to be in Japanese. Rolling Eyes At least with the other competition, it can be in my own language, however, I can't draw (and I'm trying to see if my cousin could do the art), and the story has to be in the male demographic (nearly all my stories tend to have female protagonists).

Anyone here speak very fluent Japanese?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Pony Canyon does not make ideas, they appear to be a production and distribution company.

You know, for the longest time I thought they were a music studio because a few of the soundtracks I own have their label. XD
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I could come up with a great plot but it would be stick figure drawings at best with miss shaped heads and all. The plot might rock though.

it would be original.
bhl88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Since I can't draw, the idea of submitting of my stories for consideration is beyond unbelievable (the one about a space police force would be a perfect idea for an anime!). But there's always a catch... in this case, it has to be in Japanese. Rolling Eyes At least with the other competition, it can be in my own language, however, I can't draw (and I'm trying to see if my cousin could do the art), and the story has to be in the male demographic (nearly all my stories tend to have female protagonists).

Anyone here speak very fluent Japanese?

Sadly Nanoha Strikers is already 'space police force' in a way.
Kolchao

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Mother of Jesus! Please tell me where do you submit your work for the competition? I so want to try! *0*
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Man, looking even more on it, I REALLY wish I could participate.

I have an idea for a shounen battle manga with a Kitsune-Boy MC who can manipulate gravity. But on the other hand...I'm not sure I want anyone else touching my babies.
Nadeshiko_80

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I'd love to try it out, but... I coudn't clearly read it in the article, but if it means, that the Novel/scenario/plot submissions must be in japanese language, does it also count for the manga entry?

Seems to me, that this chance only is for those, who can japanese. What a shame for me Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2