• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII's E3 Gameplay Video Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
Supposedly, this game won't have auto-battle and it's less linear. I wonder what flaws people are going to have to look for in this game.
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
Well, XIII-2 was not linear in any way because you could always backtrack if you missed anything.

If no auto-battle, hurray! I always thought using it was a death sentence in XIII and XIII-2, since you couldn't win all your battles with it anyway. You had to know what you were doing to win the battle with minor problems in late game.

I'm wondering if any other additions will be made to the final project, like the battle menu from the original 2006 trailer, because you control Lightning alone.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Supposedly, this game won't have auto-battle and it's less linear. I wonder what flaws people are going to have to look for in this game.

I hope there is no auto-battle. But it looks like there actually is though Sad
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
You make it sound as if people made up the flaws and/or were nitpicking with the last games? Which is hardly true.

Oh and one flaw is probably already obvious. Terrible storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
I always found auto-battle useful. Like when you switch paradigms sometimes your ATB would recharge completely and you use auto-battle to help stagger quicker. That's about it's only good use though. For the people who never learned that switching paradigms is what battling is all about and just stuck it out in the same mode. Auto-battle is useless unless you want to have a boring experience. I never used it if my ATB was charging. It made it more fun.

That being said this is a new battle system. Looking at all the screenshots I don't believe there is an auto battle. Like paradigms you will need to switch outfits. I think each individual move has its own ATB and you press the corresponding buttons for the actions you want then you can wait for the ATB to charge or switch to another outfit. Siliconera had a write up about the gameplay from the demo they played.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
You make it sound as if people made up the flaws and/or were nitpicking with the last games? Which is hardly true.

The final fantasy series hasn't had a decent story past six but who am I say anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kurohei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm very curious how the gameplay is going to work when you're only controlling one character.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

The final fantasy series hasn't had a decent story past six but who am I say anything.
XIII has good ideas and was nowhere near batshit insane as it's sequels. XI has fantastic stories. XII at least had great written dialogue and a good set-up that it fumbles towards the end.

Either way it's not an excuse. Games should try and get better, not stand still.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
I'm very curious how the gameplay is going to work when you're only controlling one character.

Brave Fencer musashi?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

XIII has good ideas and was nowhere near batshit insane as it's sequels. XI has fantastic stories. XII at least had great written dialogue and a good set-up that it fumbles towards the end.

Either way it's not an excuse. Games should try and get better, not stand still.

Final fantasy XIII was horribly written, had one of the worse battle systems ever made for any ff game aside from two. I can't argue with you about 9 due in part that is one my favorite 3d final fantasy games of all time. I also agree games should try to get better but there is one problem no one aside from niche/indie markets can do this anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Final fantasy XIII was horribly written,
Eh, it was not worse than other FF games.

Quote:
had one of the worse battle systems ever made for any ff game aside from two.
And I also disagree, it's one of the best imo.

Quote:
I can't argue with you about 9 due in part that is one my favorite 3d final fantasy games of all time.
I didn't say 9, I said 11.

Quote:
I also agree games should try to get better but there is one problem no one aside from niche/indie markets can do this anymore.
Eh I also doubt this. I just played a game with a decent narrative. Remember Me. The Last of Us looks good as well. There's the Yakuza games. Asura's Wrath was great story and art wise. Bioshock Infinite was decent. Yeah, there's enough games with decent narrative.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Quote:
Final fantasy XIII was horribly written,
Eh, it was not worse than other FF games.

Quote:
had one of the worse battle systems ever made for any ff game aside from two.
And I also disagree, it's one of the best imo.

Quote:
I can't argue with you about 9 due in part that is one my favorite 3d final fantasy games of all time.
I didn't say 9, I said 11.

Quote:
I also agree games should try to get better but there is one problem no one aside from niche/indie markets can do this anymore.
Eh I also doubt this. I just played a game with a decent narrative. Remember Me. The Last of Us looks good as well. There's the Yakuza games. Asura's Wrath was great story and art wise. Bioshock Infinite was decent. Yeah, there's enough games with decent narrative.

Then we are on two different sides of the spectrum her. Yes those games you listed are great but the all suffer one problem. Triple A branding that wants to sell close to/out-sell, COD with out being a COD game. This is where the market is failing and why it's come to grinding halt aside from those you mentioned.

Hell I will throw pandora's tower into the mix as well because the creators made a game with out setting the bar to high. I know it sounds like i'm going off topic but this is why square-enix has failed to keep so many old-school fans of fantasy on-board, it's trying to overreach it's audience to much instead of catering to it's demographic that will always by their titles.

I know that you hate gust/if lab games but why do you think they sell so well and keep getting squeals?? The people marketing games know who likes them, how make a eh to a fairly fun game without setting their limits to high. Nisa does the same thing with disgaea franchise as well, love or hate it that's what square needs to do. Keep in mind i'm not saying "pander to otaku I have plenty of games I like here already."
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I know that you hate gust/if lab games but why do you think they sell so well and keep getting squeals?? The people marketing games know who likes them, how make a eh to a fairly fun game without setting their limits to high. Nisa does the same thing with disgaea franchise as well, love or hate it that's what square needs to do.

Even the worst selling Square game still sells tons more than the best game Gust/NIS can churn out, so I don't really think they need to copy a much less popular or successful company.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I know that you hate gust/if lab games but why do you think they sell so well and keep getting squeals?? The people marketing games know who likes them, how make a eh to a fairly fun game without setting their limits to high. Nisa does the same thing with disgaea franchise as well, love or hate it that's what square needs to do.

Even the worst selling Square game still sells tons more than the best game Gust/NIS can churn out, so I don't really think they need to copy a much less popular or successful company.

That's my point they say 3-5 million is to low for game sales.. well they need scale back to this amount. Everyone wants high sales or their product but they need to be realistic here, that's why gust/if/nisa don't suffer major losses like they do.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Except the games they cited as doing poorly were Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Sleeping Dogs. Not Final Fantasy. Square doesn't actually develop those games, just publish them. So the problem lies with Eidos and those other guys for those poor performing games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2