• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Elfen Lied - what happened to Lucy ( Nyu )

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HackTsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
Dam i cant believe that spoiler[ Lucy is dead, at the final part of the final chapter, there is a person at the door.. and the clock was ringing as hell, i think its lucy and obviously must of the people that saw elfen lied think that she is, but im not sure. Does anyone know if there is another OAV of elfen lied? i have a OAV, named chapter 10.5, well i wanna know if lucy is dead of not dam..]

[EDIT: Use spoiler tags next time. -TK]
W3b3r

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
Ok dude, first thing use tag spoilers please. Second, to answer your question, no there are no more episodes. If you really want more your going to have to look up the manga. It continues the storyline but imo the anime is much better the way it ends.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
The ending is left open-ended. You may believe whatever you want. That actually left alot of people unsatisfied. Not saying open-ended endings are bad, but in this case it wasnt really a good place to use it.
HackTsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
oh yea srry about it, i forget to put spoilers Confused dam i wanna see a OAV of elfen lied, no the 10.5 Evil or Very Mad
W3b3r

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:08 am Reply with quote
Can you please edit your post and put them in?

I thought the ending was quite good for Elfen Lied. It left it hanging which although not one of my favourite ways to end a series, it always gets people talking.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:58 am Reply with quote
Ah ah, another Elfen Lied maniac. I used to be one too so I know how you feel. I'm trying to get my hands on the manga so I can compare it with the anime. But otherwise, don't expect any kind of continuation with the anime, since the first season's ending did such a great job that it can't be beat.
W3b3r

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:48 am Reply with quote
This subject seems to come up in this forum quite regularly. The answer always is, no, the manga continues, can't post links to scanlations. Razz
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
... the first season's ending did such a great job that it can't be beat.

I don't know, there's a few anime that I think beat it... but you're absolutely right, it IS a good ending. I've never read the manga (though I will probably eventually cave and end up reading it Rolling Eyes ), and although I never read the manga, I never personally got the idea that spoiler[Nyu died]. It was DEFINITELY a sad ending no matter how you look at it, and although I cannot give it a 10/10, I cannot logically give it less than a 9/10. It's one of those wierd shows that has an extremely obvious (good) rating no matter how you look at it.

If you're able to look at it exclusively from a TV anime perspective, it has a fantastic ending that goes great with the episode length alloted to TV shows; if you look at it from a pure 'perfectionist' (i.e. conclusive) perspectivek you're bound to be disappointed as not every thread is completely resolved. Personally, I prefer most of the MAIN ideas to be resolved, while much is left up to the personal imagination, which is almost exactly what this show does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, I finished this series 15 minutes ago. I think spoiler[that was Lucy at the door. However, you never really know what happens to her. The last time you see her is when the soldiers all fire at her and she sends her vectors flying up in the air.] If the manga continues, then I assumespoiler[ that the story continues with another encounter with her.] However, I don't really care if there is more. I didn't really like the series too much. It was too graphic and cold-blooded at times. I'm talking about the times when spoiler[you find out that Mayu was raped and when they show the memory of the dog being killed.] Honestly, those were the worst parts of the show. It's because of those parts of the show that it took me 4 months to finish the series. I've finished 50 episode series faster than that. I got used to the endless flying blood at the end of the show though.
b214

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
Ironically, I finished this series 15 minutes ago. I think spoiler[that was Lucy at the door. However, you never really know what happens to her. The last time you see her is when the soldiers all fire at her and she sends her vectors flying up in the air.] If the manga continues, then I assumespoiler[ that the story continues with another encounter with her.] However, I don't really care if there is more. I didn't really like the series too much. It was too graphic and cold-blooded at times. I'm talking about the times when spoiler[you find out that Mayu was raped and when they show the memory of the dog being killed.] Honestly, those were the worst parts of the show. It's because of those parts of the show that it took me 4 months to finish the series. I've finished 50 episode series faster than that. I got used to the endless flying blood at the end of the show though.

Those bad parts were quite necessary for the story. spoiler[ The part with the dog and friend help explain Nyu's hatred towards humans and her confusion when she met a nice person, which i think led to her double personality. The rape part is disgusting and sad as hell, but it really brings you down to earth when you watch it and really explains myu's mysterious past.
]

Yay 100 posts
Nomigid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I have watched the ending to Elfen Lied six times( and counting), here is who I think is behind the door.
spoiler[I think the personalities of Lucy and Nyu have merged to make a new personality.
Here are my reasons:
1. The music box( which played a large roll in Lucy and Kouta's lives) winds down and stops, just as the broken clock that Nyu loved, starts. Which I take to mean the ending of the old and the beginning of the new.
2. Kouta sensed that there was someone at the gate, even before the dog started barking( like he sensed Lucy, comming up behind him, when he was waiting for her at the steps( there also seems to be some kind of connection between them since they were little kids)).
3. The dog( Wanta), knows this person behind the gate and is very happy that she is here.( Nyu always took Wanta out for runs( and let Wanta off his/her leash).
4. Nana does not sense the person at the gate, just like she could not sense Nyu.
5. The extra place set at the table( set for the missing or for someone that could not be there( set for Lucy, becuse she could not be there for the special dish( some kind of noodle)), seems to predict her arrival.]
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
b214 wrote:
Those bad parts were quite necessary for the story.

I know that, but they just irritated me. I found them to be quite disturbing. I mean spoiler[the part about Mayu being raped] was just disgusting, because there's already so much of that going on in our world today. I usually find anime to be something that I can look forward to in order to get away from all of the terrible things in this world. And spoiler[the part with the dog] was repulsive as well. I mean the creator has to be pretty disturbed to make something that graphic. He/She could've left that part in the story, but make the image more obscure. I feel like I'm talking out of my ass here and sound like in idiot, but it really bugged me. Sometimes it irked me so much that I had nightmares about it. I really didn't look forward to watching this show. I forced myself to watch it over the past week. Now, in my opinion it was a terrible anime, but there were some good points to it and I can see why people hold it in such high regards.
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Nomigid wrote:
I have watched the ending to Elfen Lied six times( and counting), here is who I think is behind the door.
spoiler[I think the personalities of Lucy and Nyu have merged to make a new personality.
Here are my reasons:
1. The music box( which played a large roll in Lucy and Kouta's lives) winds down and stops, just as the broken clock that Nyu loved, starts. Which I take to mean the ending of the old and the beginning of the new.
2. Kouta sensed that there was someone at the gate, even before the dog started barking( like he sensed Lucy, comming up behind him, when he was waiting for her at the steps( there also seems to be some kind of connection between them since they were little kids)).
3. The dog( Wanta), knows this person behind the gate and is very happy that she is here.( Nyu always took Wanta out for runs( and let Wanta off his/her leash).
4. Nana does not sense the person at the gate, just like she could not sense Nyu.
5. The extra place set at the table( set for the missing or for someone that could not be there( set for Lucy, becuse she could not be there for the special dish( some kind of noodle)), seems to predict her arrival.]

i think thats a very interesting theory mainly #1. maybe....overthinking perhaps. i actually might take up the manga and find out whenever i get into the mood

either way i think it ended marvelously
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1