• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Offers Japanese-Animated Classic Marine Boy on DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digritz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news. Yes it's corny and most certainly does not hold up to anime of today. But I grew up with this. It's what started my long long love of anime. It gave me the love of diving and the desire to learn SCUBA............I'm certain it also caused brain injury to my sister from being struck in the head by my home made boomerangs. ":}
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Someone on my twitter posted that clip last week and I was impressed at how good it looks. I take it has been restored? Anyway, I was struck by the fact I don't think I'd seen this show since I was 5 or 6 but I remember watching it, along with Speed Racer Very Happy
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Someone on my twitter posted that clip last week and I was impressed at how good it looks. I take it has been restored? Anyway, I was struck by the fact I don't think I'd seen this show since I was 5 or 6 but I remember watching it, along with Speed Racer Very Happy

Yea for being old, it looks good
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't all that interested in this release beyond "Oh cool, another piece of anime history is going to be available!" But then I watched the clip and saw the seaweed ninjas. That's beautifully zany. I still don't know if I'll pick this up since money's tight and there's other releases I want to get first, but they picked a good preview clip!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind older style animation, I do like Seven Cities of gold, but this looks too much like sea lab and older American animation, with little distinction as uniquely Japanese.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen this before. It'll be interesting to see. Very interesting,indeed.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
Now this is a surprise. So what is Warner doing trying to cash in on the vintage anime market? While this is great news I'm still not impressed with Warner's record on how they usually release their products. The complaints from consumers on Amazon shows this.

But kudos to old and new fans of finally being able to obtain and see this series.
unready

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
NBC broadcast Marine Boy in prime time, making it the first (and probably only) anime series to be broadcast (not cable/satellite) nationwide in the US in prime time.

NBC was also the original US broadcaster of Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion, but I'm pretty sure they weren't prime time.

The Japanese opener was music only. I guess NBC added lyrics. It would be cool if the Warner version includes all the English.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
As far as I can tell I've only vaguely heard about this show, but given its historical or at least nostalgic value I may still try to see a sample of it and read up on more information before actually deciding to make a purchase.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By chewing Oxy-gum to breathe underwater, Marine fends off threats and villains

Whilst I commend the novelty of doing so, I worry that the gum's flavour would diminish quite soon into each episode. How would the hero tolerate the resulting blandness?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

What really happened is that Warner's ended up with the original negatives of the show while Japan had to make due with whatever 2nd gen 16mm masters they got for their presentation (seems like such an unfair trade in this deal but whatever the case, we got the top end of the stick). Again the show was bankrolled by the former TV distributor in the US (Seven Arts, who later bought out Warner Bros. in 1967 before they were absorbed through other companies in the decades that followed) who insisted on showing the series first in the states before Japan could (as they got to see it in '69). I figured that accounts for how excellent the quality of these episodes appear if they have the original negatives to work from.

unready wrote:
NBC broadcast Marine Boy in prime time, making it the first (and probably only) anime series to be broadcast (not cable/satellite) nationwide in the US in prime time.

NBC was also the original US broadcaster of Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion, but I'm pretty sure they weren't prime time.

You are way off "unready". Marine Boy was not aired on NBC and neither was those other shows. Marine Boy was offered to stations through a syndication deal that allowed for any station (either network or independent) to air said program. While NBC (through their former TV syndication arm) offered Astro Boy and Kimba in the 60's, these shows were not aired as network programming and Marine Boy was not a prime-time show either, they would've aired them either in the morning or afternoon hours weekdays (preferably the afternoons when kids came home from school though not all shows were lucky to get those slots).

Quote:
The Japanese opener was music only. I guess NBC added lyrics. It would be cool if the Warner version includes all the English.

Technically it wasn't, there was a song for the Japanese version when it aired in '69
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9tE3LRx9Zs

It was the US release that had an instrumental for the first dozen or so episodes in the package.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HqSkY4vtVY

Sometime after that a theme song was made and used for the remainder of the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNl_X85vF9s

Also, NBC did not have anything to do with Marine Boy, it was "Seven Arts Associate Corp."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Arts_Productions

Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
By chewing Oxy-gum to breathe underwater, Marine fends off threats and villains

Whilst I commend the novelty of doing so, I worry that the gum's flavour would diminish quite soon into each episode. How would the hero tolerate the resulting blandness?

That was surely the conceit of the show wasn't it? Boys paid more attention to Neptina's bosom over that one. Razz
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:

OMG StudioToledo! That's exactly the channel and time I watched it when I was a tiny tot, right before Romper Room. I was totally in love with Marine Boy or so I thought-- I later came to realize I only wanted him for his OxyGum. ;P
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
OMG StudioToledo! That's exactly the channel and time I watched it when I was a tiny tot, right before Romper Room.

Glad to find a "small world" thing going on here Sunflower! I had to prove a point and I did so. Too bad I wasn't around in '69 when all that went down (watched the later syndie version of Romper Room in the '80's, for the nerds out there, the series was produced by the same TV distributor involved in syndicating Star Blazers too).

Quote:
I was totally in love with Marine Boy or so I thought-- I later came to realize I only wanted him for his OxyGum. ;P

I'm sure many did. I like to think Marine Boy had more done to him than it was let on in the series. Who knows what secret is buried inside Dr. Marinara's head!
Xenorama

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
anyone interested in reading more about Marine Boy should check this book out...

http://xenorama.blogspot.com/2013/08/marine-boy-underwater-adventure-is-go.html

David
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1