• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Blue Sonnet

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
I saw some of the tankoubon of the manga version of this the other day and was kind of intrigued-- I love shoujo sci-fi, especially since it's a stripe of anime that you really don't see made anymore! (Which is a huge pity...) Hearing that this is so weird and action-packed makes me want to go check it out; it sounds really unique!

edit- OH!! I also just realized that this cool cheezy 80s power rock thing that Youtube's been recommending me for the last couple weeks is from a Blue Sonnet-based image album! Three chance encounters with this OVA in the same month? Could this be...... destiny??

Last edited by Myaow on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
People are vivisected, heads explode, blood gushes everywhere.

You sure you weren't watching Fist of the North Star? Very Happy

This sounds intriguing, to say the least. This seems like something that Discotek would pick up. The question is, is it even on their radar?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Dated or no, I really loved Blue Sonnet, and was gutted when I discovered the manga wasn't available. I still have the VHS with the English dub. If a DVD came out with the dub on it I'd preorder it right now.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember a long time ago, we screened Blue Sonnet and Blue Seed about the same time. Laughing
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen "Blue Sonnet" before. By Mr. Sevakis' description of it,it sounds like the 1980's movie "Scanners." I don't know if that movie and it's sequels inspired this OVA,but it is a possibility.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Wait a moment, "gory shoujo"? Those two words NEVER go together.

Being a (male) shoujo fan myself, I might give this a look.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I had the first VHS tape years ago and never got around to getting the second, despite actually enjoying the first few episodes quite a bit. IIRC, it was from the same creator who did the Sarai manga that ComicsOne released here back in the early 2000's...

It's a shame it never got that DVD release. I would probably still pick it up now if someone like DiscoTek were to make it available...
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to pick up the Blue Sonnet VHS cassettes for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Razz It's good to hear it sounds to be an overall good OVA, I first heard about it from a positive rating on The Anime Review a while ago.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
This is one that I had always wondered about. I always saw the laserdiscs on ebay, but it was kind of ominous how there seems to be little discussion of it among American fans. Glad my reservations were undeserved - sounds like a fascinating show.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I can't remember how I first saw this OVA. I think my local anime club must have screened it. I had to get to get a copy for myself as it was brilliant. It's more like an exploitation film from the 1970’s or early 1980's (like something you'd expect Lucio Fulci would make) rather than normal B-grader. The part where spoiler[Lan and another woman are stuck in a waste disposal unit filled with aborted foetuses] is probably the most memorable scene in the series for me.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Manga Video put out the series on two dubbed VHS tapes, which must've sold extraordinarily poorly, as it took Mike Toole and I the better part of five years to track down copies of both volumes.

On the bright side, if Discotek ever licenses this OVA they know exactly who to go to in order to find the dub.
Nemoide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I discovered Blue Sonnet in 2009. On a Free Comic Book Day, I ventured to a comic shop that had the first volume on VHS in a pile of stuff they were giving away for free. I instantly fell in love with it, got the second volume and have since upgraded to owning them both on laserdisc.

Even though I can't honestly say it's good, I love the hell out of Blue Sonnet. I'd rather watch it than something like Bubblegum Crisis any day of the week!

I'm really glad to see a column about it!
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Scifi shojo? ESPERs? Gore? Guy who worked on both Fang of the Sun Dougram and Armor Hunter Mellowlink? Sounds like I'm in on this one! It just has too many ingredients for me to possible resist!
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
My, ah, legal copy of this having just arrived - holy crap that OP is amazing! It's so awesomely 80s it hurts.
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing this in a store years ago, reading the synopsis a couple of times, and passing on it. After reading this article, I am thankful I did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3