• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:21 pm Reply with quote
[This thread exists for the purpose of quick, one-shot questions relating to anime / the site / Japanese-related stuff, or trying to identify that one anime you might have seen back in '97 that you just can't put your finger on. Feel free to ask just about anything. -TK]

Before reading anything else, read "teh rules"!

Helpful guideline: If you can't imagine your question inspiring further debate or discussion after being answered, please ask it here. If you think your question has one definite answer that won't be different when answered by different people, please ask it here.~Zalis

-=-=-=-=-

If you have any general questions relating to anime, ask them in this thread, and we'll try to find an answer for you!

(This material was taken out of the newbie thread and made more orderly. Rather than deleting all the posts over there, I figured it'd be easier just to make a new thread and keep it pruned as needed.)

If you have new contributions, post'em here. We'll keep this thread nice and orderly so it's easy to find answers. Yes, this means we will delete your posts as necessary to keep this thread tidy.

****Frequently Asked Questions****
-=-=-=-=-

Question: Will there be a second season / third season / follow-up OVA / sequel movie for [series]?
Question: Will [anime title] be licensed and released [somewhere other than Japan]?
[b]Answer:
Search ANN's Encyclopedia. If the sequel you desire is not listed there, then nothing's been officially announced by the studios, and the members of this forum don't have any inside information about what Japanese production studios plan to do in the future. Same with overseas licensing, if the information isn't in the Encyclopedia, the members of this forum don't know what the companies are planning to license.

Long story short: If a potential sequel or license is not already listed in the Encyclopedia, don't bother asking about it in the forums. Please see this post for more details.

-=-=-=-=-

Question: Where Can I find Anime lyrics?
Answer: http://www.animelyrics.com

-=-=-=-=-

Question: Where can I find out more about upcoming releases in Japan?
Answer: The best websites for upcoming releases in Japan are in Japanese.

Anime News Network regularly posts news about things on the Japanese side of the industry, too. Check the appropriate entry in our Encyclopedia for possible news and links.

-=-=-=-=-

Question: What is considered 'appropriate' and 'inappropriate' behavior?
Answer: First of all, read "teh rules". This outlines the obligations you agree to when signing up for participating on this board.

The most often broken rule is posting links to fansub/digisub distribution websites, and to manga scanilation websites. Neither sort of link is permitted, regardless of the licensing status of the title(s) in question. Please do not post links to AVI/MPEG files, 'Torrent' files, Peer-2-Peer (P2P) applications, timed scripts, etc.

Before posting a thread, please make sure that there isn't a similar thread on the first couple of pages. We've locked many threads before due to a similar thread being created sometimes less than a day before an old thread began to slow down. If you don't see anything relevant to what you'd like to talk about, feel free to make a new thread.

Signatures are currently disabled. Please do not make 'virtual' signatures.

Just remember: When in doubt, post.

-=-=-=-=-

Question: Why does ANN officially recommend H animes? Can't people find this on their own without our help?
Answer: Much of ANNs readers are adults, and as such we do not discriminate against their tastes. Hentai, Bishoujo and other 'adult' genres of anime are still anime, and as such we report on developments regarding newly licensed adult titles, and may occasionally review them.

-=-=-=-=-

Question: When can one call themselves "otaku"?
Answer: Whenever you want! There are no rules set in stone saying "You must buy $5,000-worth of anime before you can call yourself an Otaku", nor does any law say, "You must first watch 500 unique anime series before calling yourself an Otaku". As far as ANN is concerned, you can call yourself "otaku" anytime you desire.

In Japan, "otaku" is a somewhat sinister term, implying rabid fandom to the point of being socially inept and unable to communicate with others "in general". In America it has been whitewashed to mean "a fan of anime". Much like there are no rules defining if you call yourself a "geek" or a "nerd", you can call yourself "otaku" whenever you want.

Some fans prefer being called "fan" and not "otaku", citing the Japanese definition of the term. Others may prefer other titles; everyone is different in their appreciation of anime, so please be considerate.

-=-=-=-=-

Question: How can I tell what is a bootleg? Is what I am buying on eBay legitimate?
Answer: The best FAQ regarding how to avoid bootlegs may be found here:
http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

Regarding eBay, a preliminary and informal survey showed that approximately 60% of all anime DVD transactions on eBay are bootlegs. A closer inspection has yet to be made, but the basic results are this:
Be wary of any auction with the words "ntsc all" "chinese" "region 0" "region free" and "import" in their titles or body text. These are the biggest indicators of bootlegs.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Question: How do I get my anime published? I have a script, how can I turn it into anime? I have a great idea, but who can I send it to?

Answer: This is, perhaps, the most asked question we see. We've devoted an entire Answerman column to explaining the difficulties of anime publishing. Please read over that first. Basically, unless you have money (or have access to money, or are personal friends with an executive at an animation studio), it is better to begin by publishing for your local market. Consider developing it yourself (like Voices of a Distant Star) or finding an American/Canadian production house capable of doing the work instead.

Consider this: Is the story more important than the style? If it needs to be "anime" to be a success, then perhaps you need to focus more on your story, instead.

[EDIT: I have merged the two topics, but will try to "prune" out some of the really old replies to keep it looking fresher and more condensed. This may take a while... -TK]

Last edited by cookie on Fri May 21, 2004 4:27 pm; edited 20 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:32 pm Reply with quote
otaku wrote:
this is really a support question dont get me wrong anime is # 1 but were can i get one of the pictures on everyones text, thanks

You probably mean "How do I get an avatar?"

Anime News Network does not have any avatars on its website. Instead, you need to use your own webspace (or use someone else's, with their permission). It's a pretty simple process:

1. Make an avatar (can be done with any common graphics editing software). The picture should be JPG or GIF, and should not exceed 80x80 pixels.
2. Upload it to your webspace (note that Geocities and some other free webspace providers do not allow off-site linking, and thus your image will not display for others)
3. Go to the edit profile page. Go to the bottom of the page and type in the URL of your image (such as http://www.someanimeserver.com/directory1/myavatar.gif) and press submit.

Presto, you now have an avatar image just beneath your username.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Again, as stated above:
If you have new contributions, post'em here. We'll keep this thread nice and orderly so it's easy to find answers. Yes, this means we will delete your posts as neccessary to keep this thread tidy.

Off-topic or specific anime/manga questions will be moved to a separate thread in one of the other forums. Check your private messages for an exact location.

This thread is for general questions which are asked repeatedly, yet have the same basic answer. This is to help alleviate some of the repetitious questions in the forum.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Where can I watch Anime on TV?

Cartoon Network's Toonami and AdultSwim
Tech TV's Anime Unleashed (USA Only)
YTV (Canada)
The International Channel
The Anime Network
Showtime Beyond
The Family Channel
The WB Network
Encore's Action Channel

Additions?
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:38 am Reply with quote
Anime Boy wrote:
I don't mean to post again... but I have a question.

What does the "Regions" mean when I read anime reviews?

Thanks!

- Anime Boy

A "region" is the location that a DVD is ment to be played in. They're specially coded and you your DVD player must be made to specificly read that region's code. All commercial DVDs in the US are Region 1 meaning they can only be played on Region 1 DVD players. If you live in the US then there's probably a 99% chance that you own a Region 1 player.

Here's a breakdown of the 6 world regions and 2 special regions (from DVDadept.com):

Region 1 - U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
Region 2 - Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
Region 3 - Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
Region 4 - Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
Region 5 - 5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
Region 6 - Peoples Republic of China
Region 7 - Reserved
Region 8 - Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

You'll also see some DVDs that are "region 0" this means that they don't have a region and can be played on any and all DVD players. Be warned though, more often than not these are bootlegs. There are also multi region DVD players that can play DVDs from any region, they aren't illegal, but they aren't easy to find either.

DVD regions are really a product of world trade. By placing a region code on a DVD you prevent it from being purchased in other companies before they're scheduled to recieve it. For example a Japanese DVD that is region 2 can't be played on a US DVD player that is region 1. By doing this the japanese can release, say, an anime DVD and make it so it can't be played in the US leaving room for an official US release later on. In theory anyway, there are several work-arounds for region codes, but on a large scale they serve their purpose.

I suggest DVD Adept for more technical information.

Emerje
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:01 am Reply with quote
The million dollar question: "where do I buy legal (R1) anime online?"

Deep Discount DVD
Suncoast
Best Buy
Robert's Anime Corner Store
Anime Nation
The Right Stuff International
Tower Records
FYE

And if you happen to be looking for an import R2 DVD

CD Japan

All of these sites have various prices and specials so remember to shop around, buy in bulk, and avoid bootlegs!

Emerje
cookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Toboe06 wrote:
Generally, how much do they edit from the original Japanese animations, such as dubs and the likes?

If it's released on DVD directly, there is no editing.

In some cases, the Japanese DVD release will be altered to include more violence or nudity than the Japanese TV broadcasts will allow (yes, there is censorship in Japan).

Sometimes, the Japanese companies will even change footage for sale overseas.

Fansub groups use whatever source is available to them, which might be DVDs, the TV broadcast, or some other set of footage. As such, they may have different video or audio than the official American release.. and sometimes this leads to a perceived difference between the "Japanese" and "American" releases, and some fans will blame American licensors for those changes. The truth is oftentimes much more complex than fans make it out to be.

If a title is showing on TV, then consider what the target demographic is: If it's for children, odds are it will receive greater editing ("Americanization") so that it will appeal to a wider audience. Shows on Fox Kids and KidsWB tend not to receive uncut releases later (although exceptions exist).

If it's aimed at more mature audiences (tweens, teens, and young adults) odds are increasingly good that an uncut release either is already available, or will be available in the near future.

In addition to the target demographics, the ACTUAL demographics play a part; a show with a large 18+ audience, even if aimed at 9-11 year olds, will be more likely to receive an uncut release.

When editing DOES occur, it depends highly on the target audience, as well as the actual audience. Each channel also has different standards, and so what might be found acceptable on Fox may not be acceptable for the same demographics on Cartoon Network (or vice-versa).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Emerje beats me. We need some rules and recommendations for this sticky thread.

Please provide as much information as you can:
  1. Approximate time and place you watched this title. If it was on TV, airing hour is appreciated.
  2. Video format. Was it on TV, in a movie theater, or on a video? If it's video-based, was it VHS or DVD?
  3. Audio and/or subtitle language(s).
  4. A brief description of the story, including its genre and background settings.
  5. Data on protagonist(s). Name, age, gender, race, most and least favorite(s), equipments, etc.
  6. Anything else distinctive and special enough that you've never seen in other anime titles, like mascots, special abilities, special equipments, martial art styles, etc.

As for rules, please note the following:
  1. ALWAYS include a short quotation from the poster you are answering to, no matter whether you are providing a possible answer, a thank for a correct answer, or a thank but sorry for an incorrect one. After posts accumulate in this thread, no one would be able to tell which question you are answering if you don't include a quote.
  2. Be courteous. Everyone here is willing to provide assistance, yet no one is obligated to help you. Don't be discouraged if no one could answer your question.
  3. No "I don't know" reply. If you have some clue but are not sure, give a range of titles and ask the original poster for specific additional information you need.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Gemini Angel wrote:
There is a gesture that I see in anime sometimes where the person flaps their hand up and down like they're waving. What does it mean? Some example are Natsumi in the first episode(?) of Get Backers while saying to Ban and Ginji Not to worry about not getting fed, she'll take care of them.; and Kaorin in the first Sports Day episode of Azumanga Daioh, I think she might be saying something like don't worry. I'm guessing it means something along that line.

It's sort of an Asian thing. In the west, most people wave their hands with their palms facing up when gesturing to "come here" or whatever of the sort.

From my personal experience, the Asian people I've been around do it in reverse with the palms of their hands facing down and doing the motion.

It might not necessarily mean "come here" all the time. I've done the same thing, but meant something more in the lines of a sweeping motion, as in "ha ha, I'm so confident about what I just said that I'm symbolically brooming that statement with nonchalance, now get outta' here" Razz.

I don't know, I guess it just depends on the person. Oh, and I am Asian by the way, just so you know Wink.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:25 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
ChurchofVirus wrote:
Are cousin relationships normal in Japan? ie. Elfen Lied.

I was actually wondering about that. It makes more sense if they're only related by name. But if they're blood relatives, then... well, that's kind of weird to me Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop.

Like what I've said before, Japanese is one of the few developed nations which allow marriage between first cousins (sharing same grandparents), while most developed nations only allow marriage between second cousins (sharing same great grandparents). The ratio of married first cousins is 1.8% among all married couples in Japan; none of developed countries in the report I saw has the ratio higher than 1% (IIRC, less than 0.5%, to be more exact).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Another general question not worthy of starting a new topic for...

In the english dub of Naruto, what do they substitute 'dattebayo' for? I mean is there anything in particular they usually substitute it for, or do they just add extra dialogue to cover it up?

I don't have cable here so I can't watch it on CN.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the first two episodes dubbed, but they add in "Believe it!" for Naruto's ~ttebayo tag phrase. I think it's acceptable, considering it didn't really have very much meaning to begin with.

-------------------------------------
EDIT: Regarding questions about sequels and licensing possibilities.

You may have been directed to this post because you asked a question about "Will there be another season of some anime or another?" (Or "Will [series] be licensed & released in my area?") With this forum being associated with a major anime news site, we get many questions of this nature in the forums To conserve time and energy in typing the same response over and over again, I'm exploiting this post to provide a detailed answer to those questions.

ANN features an Encyclopedia with an extensive database of anime and manga. When Japanese studios announce their plans for sequels, it will be reported on ANN's front page, and the information for the sequel will be added to the Encyclopedia in due time. So before asking "will there be more of [series]?", please search for the series in the Encyclopedia to see if it has information on a sequel.

If there is not information about the sequel you're looking for in the Encyclopedia, please do NOT ask about it in the forums. I know you just saw a great anime and are hungrily searching for more. But keep in mind that the members of this forum are regular anime fans who don't have any special connections to the anime production industry. It's possible that some studio is planning to make a sequel to a given series, but if that sequel hasn't been officially announced, then we don't know any more than you do about the studios' plans. There have been many questions over the years about sequels to shows like Berserk, His & Her Circumstances, and School Rumble, so please understand that all these threads contribute to forum clutter and annoyance for moderators and longtime posters.

Note that all of this also applies to "Will X be licensed and released in [my language]?" questions. Just as we don't have insider knowledge of Japanese companies' plans, we also don't have insider knowledge of other anime distributors or what they plan to license. North American licenses get reported on ANN within days, hours, or even minutes of their announcement, so if something is licensed, chances are the Encyclopedia will reflect that.

--------------------------------

tl; dr: Search the Encyclopedia for the sequel or license you're looking for; if the information isn't there, nobody on the forums will know about it either.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Stellarleen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I apologize if this question has already been asked/answered; I did not read through this entire thread. Anyway I have watched s-CRY-ed twice now (on Cartoon Network). I was wondering what the title means. If they mentioned it in the series, I missed it. Also, how do you pronounce it.... Is it s-cry-ed, or do you say it all together, like 'skrid or skred'?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
Stellarleen wrote:
I apologize if this question has already been asked/answered; I did not read through this entire thread. Anyway I have watched s-CRY-ed twice now (on Cartoon Network). I was wondering what the title means. If they mentioned it in the series, I missed it. Also, how do you pronounce it.... Is it s-cry-ed, or do you say it all together, like 'skrid or skred'?

Going off the katakana in the title, スクライド [sukuraido], I'm going with "skried," one syllable, which rhymes with the word "cried." Actually, this title is based on a rather obscure English word, "scry," meaning "to see or predict the future by means of a crystal ball," and "scryed" is a form of that word. This may have something to do with the content of the series, since some people have paranormal abilities. (I haven't seen s-CRY-ed, so I don't really know.)
WesW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Are there names for the different animation styles used in anime? For example, GitS SAC tends to use a realistic style, CLAMP a pretty-boy style, and recently seeing Air and the way it animated the females got me to wondering. I realize that customized models are constructed in a series' development, I'm just wondering if the general styles have terms attached to them.

Thanks for any help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 569