• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game Number Hunters Booster Packs Available Now

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragoshi1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Tell me the truth; is Yugioh! still "good"? I haven't played in YEARS, or bought any in years, the last time I bought and played with the cards, was when Yugioh!'s newest TV show had a kid named Jaden, and I saw a special with mutated God Cards or something.

These days I see commercials talking about "XYZ" monsters, but the only ones I recall are the Tiger Tank, Dragon Cannon, ect, that could fuse with each other. What's up with XYZ now? Is it still those 3 monsters fusing together?

I still have a hidden chest full of cards in my closet, and I can't be bothered to dig them out and give it a whirl, so I maybe want to start from scratch again.
R. Glover

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Just a reminder: Nicktoons has slightly reduced the number of Yu-Gi-Oh! airings:

Mon.-Thurs. 8:30p; Yu-Gi-Oh! is no longer airing on Fridays.
Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL: Sat. 2:30p, Sun. 11:30a-12:30p
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Dragoshi1 wrote:
These days I see commercials talking about "XYZ" monsters, but the only ones I recall are the Tiger Tank, Dragon Cannon, ect, that could fuse with each other. What's up with XYZ now? Is it still those 3 monsters fusing together?

Not "XYZ" - "Xyz." Big difference. (It's pronounced "ek-seez" or "ik-seez," BTW.)

Xyz Monsters have a black starfield border and are put in the Extra Deck (i.e. the Fusion Deck, which now accommodates 5D's Synchros and ZEXAL's Xyz as well). They also don't have Levels, unlike other monsters: they have Ranks, which are indicated with left-aligned black stars. (Yes, this means they're unaffected by cards which refer to monster levels.)

An Xyz Summon requires a certain number of monsters on the field whose Levels are each equal to the Xyz Monster's Rank - some Xyz Monsters have other requirements, but the general format is always "X Level Y Monsters." Number 39: Utopia, for example, requires 2 Level 4 Monsters.

Once you've fulfilled the requirements - and this is where Xyz Monsters get interesting - you don't send the Xyz Materials to the Graveyard. Instead, you "overlay" the Xyz Monster on top of them, forming a stack. The Xyz Materials are considered "attached" to the Xyz Monster and can be "detached" (i.e. sent to the Graveyard) to fuel its effects. For instance, Utopia lets you negate an opponent's attack by detaching 1 Xyz Material.

As for ZEXAL itself...the early parts of it are pretty grating from what I gather, but I've followed the synopses, and the story gets really good. One of the villains from the second part is easily the greatest Yu-Gi-Oh! villain ever - and among the greatest in anime, period. Just for taking shonen cliche and weaponizing it against the protagonist. It has to be seen to be believed. :3
BonusStage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Dragoshi1 wrote:
Tell me the truth; is Yugioh! still "good"? I haven't played in YEARS, or bought any in years, the last time I bought and played with the cards, was when Yugioh!'s newest TV show had a kid named Jaden, and I saw a special with mutated God Cards or something.

I still have a hidden chest full of cards in my closet, and I can't be bothered to dig them out and give it a whirl, so I maybe want to start from scratch again.

I'm more surprise people still support the game with how badly Konami has treated it in the west Confused I see cards that cost like 5 bucks in Japan go for over 100 in the American version because of how they increase the rarities or make them super hard to get in the English edition in addition to all the censoring and name changes. I thought for sure having to pay 100 bucks for Big Eye would turn people off from the game but they actually do pay that Shocked Wowzers. Talk about expensive.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the localizations have gotten pretty good in recent years. A few things are still hit or miss, but there aren't any blatant mistranslations anymore - in fact, a fair few translations get a thumbs-up from me for being pretty clever. :3
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder if sales are slipping in the west or not. Konami of America seems to have tipped their hat into the ever popular recent gimmick of 'nostalgia cash in' lately with stuff like "Yugi's World" and now "Joey's World" which focus on cards revolving around 'classic characters' from the first series that no one really cares about anymore outside those that grew up on the 4Kids dub and might be nostalgic for it. Japan on the other hand is focusing exclusively on the current version of Zexal with things like Yuma and Kaito Duelist Packs and the fact the Japanese packs actually say "Zexal" on them, where in the American version is just says plain old "Yu-Gi-Oh", and all the Kotori/Rio/Arclight Brothers products they pump out. Meanwhile the US is making a big deal over a random card Jounouchi played once in a random episode because 'I remember that, those were the good old days"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1