• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Kenya Boy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I love how the worse Justin slags these anime in this column, the more I want to see them. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Someone needs to put this column (and Buried Treasure/Garbage) on tv somehow.

WTF is a genre now? About time. Very Happy
Pamachu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Haruki Kadokawa?

Nobuhiko Obayashi?

Good God, those two names alone should tell you what kind of movie this is. This sounds like a glorious disaster! I have to see it, just to find out what kind of WTF-ery has the power to completely breaking Justin Sevakis.

By the way, for those who would like to see Nobuhiko Obayashi play around in the animation funhouse in a more competent fashion, I'd recommend School in the Crosshairs, a psychedelic take on the anime/manga aesthetic that mixes live action with bizarre video effects. It's super weird and pretty fun. Probably a much better time than Kenya Boy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Watch this, you guys will not regret it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea_kssDrU48
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Right now,like Justin,words fail me. The only other time I've ever heard of this anime was in "The Anime Encyclopedia." I've never seen this one but it seems that this one should be on a show like "Fact or Faked:Paranormal Files." Then,they'll find out what possessed the people who made this film the way it did. Again,words fail me to say what this film is like.
Bamble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
In common with other Toei anime of the period, Kenya Boy was apparently dubbed into English by no less than Peter Fernandez. Commercial releases of the film in other languages (such as a Greek VHS rip going around) are clearly based on this English-language master, complete with English credits. This is where the Jungle Boy alternate title was used for the film.

As the film doesn't look to have been released on video in any actual English-speaking markets, the Peter Fernandez English dub is naturally impossible to obtain.

Oh, and to add to the already impressive roster of madness on offer in this film, about 48 minutes in there's a hidden frame that conclusively reveals Kate doesn't wear any underwear. Shocked
LeonardRhine82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Seems really awful... but at the same time really unique to watch xD

Its always great to read this pile of shame colums, truly one of the best sections of ANN.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
considering it's from the director of Hausu, it's no wonder it's insane

here's another masterpiece from the same director http://vimeo.com/64345732
otakunomike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Any usage of Nobuhiko Obayashi and "very strange ideas" is an epic understatement (see: House)
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
In common with other Toei anime of the period, Kenya Boy was apparently dubbed into English by no less than Peter Fernandez. Commercial releases of the film in other languages (such as a Greek VHS rip going around) are clearly based on this English-language master, complete with English credits. This is where the Jungle Boy alternate title was used for the film.

You sure about this? This isn't a Toei production at all. 100% Kadokawa.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Sounds ridiculous, but not ridiculous enough. I'll stick with my Cleopatra, thanks.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:

Oh, and to add to the already impressive roster of madness on offer in this film, about 48 minutes in there's a hidden frame that conclusively reveals Kate doesn't wear any underwear. Shocked

Can't buy underwear in the jungles of Kenya. Smile
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Bamble wrote:

Toei's listed as part of the production in the ANN encyclopedia:

anime#3644
Bamble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

The rip of the Greek dub of Jungle Boy can be found here, and the English dub looks to have been co-ordinated with Toei, not Kadokawa, at least according to the opening title.

There was also a Swedish dub of the film based on the same master; there clearly seems to have been an English version made at some point that never looks to have been released in English.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
The rip of the Greek dub of Jungle Boy can be found here, and the English dub looks to have been co-ordinated with Toei, not Kadokawa, at least according to the opening title.

There was also a Swedish dub of the film based on the same master; there clearly seems to have been an English version made at some point that never looks to have been released in English.

Interesting. It looks like this was done through Toei Pictures, not Toei Animation. (They're completely separate companies, confusingly.)

Very curious about this dub -- looks like they cut out quite a bit of the insanity. Paging Mike Toole...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2