• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Massive Attack

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Please please please drop the "holier than thou" preachiness about morals and sexuality in your articles.

I really like your write ups, but seeing that Dragons Crown and FF XIII-3 were being covered I already knew what you would drone on about before reading it. It's just become predictable.

Let's focus on the games now please.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Yep focus on the games, not the subject matter of these games or their implications. That makes so much sense. Who cares how a story focused game like FF presents it's characters? Right?

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Characters definitely have a place to play in games. I've seen series and games that have a great story but ultimately mediocre characters and vice versa. Ultimately characters and plots should have a symbiotic relationship where they help each other out.

I've never really gotten into the Final Fantasy series, but just because the series is more focused on stories, does not mean that the characters don't have a place in them. They will be the ones who ultimately drag you into the story.
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yep focus on the games, not the subject matter of these games or their implications. That makes sense. Who cares how a story focused game like FF presents it's characters?

Here's a better idea, let's analyze characters in a game based on nothing but screenshots and PR... oh wait...

Knee-jerk reaction is all this is.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't Lightning have a tail? Otherwise, it's just generic cat ears.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, if by any chance Square Enix decides their next main Final Fantasy series will have a playable female protagonist, they should get Toriyama to STAY AWAY from it and get someone else.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:

Here's a better idea, let's analyze characters in a game based on nothing but screenshots and PR... oh wait...

Knee-jerk reaction is all this is.
Except the only one having that kind of reaction here is you.

No one's saying her actual character persona is going to change. No one said that these skimpy costumes will actually change her character. No one is actually analyzing her character. We are anyalyzing how Square is now presenting the character in order to better sell her to you and how that betrays what they did with her before. And yeah it kind of sucks.

What we are saying, is this is tacky Because her character before this and probably in XIII-3 did not have to have this kind of sex appeal. What we are saying is that it sucks to see them sex up this otherwise strong willed character, basically to sell you DLC costumes. It's as if they have no dignity themselves.

I love Dead or Alive. I have no problem with fansericve, but XIII was not that kind of game.

And so yes, actually the screenshots and PR talk are actually quite telling. You're trying to tell me companies don;t give out pr and whatnot in order to create an impression? Um I don't thats how it works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Shouldn't Lightning have a tail? Otherwise, it's just generic cat ears.

You gotta pay extra for the matching butt-plug dlc.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm downloading Attack of The Friday Monsters right now. The art style really caught my eye on this one, I'm really glad it got a European release.

TheZeonicFront wrote:
Please please please drop the "holier than thou" preachiness about morals and sexuality in your articles.

I really like your write ups, but seeing that Dragons Crown and FF XIII-3 were being covered I already knew what you would drone on about before reading it. It's just become predictable.

Yeah man, let's not get any ideas about interesting commentary and critique here! I just want to be fed substance-free waffle about games I like.

Sarcasm mode off, I like the fact that The X Button frequently touches on controversies in the gaming industry and I heartily welcome more of that kind of writing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
They're Lara Croft-ing Lightning?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Returns: I'm already going into this game with low expectations, but the more I see about costumes, the more sickened I get. Lightning has become the JRPG Barbie doll now, but I poke fun at this for humorous purposes only.

Attack of the Friday Monsters: A Tokyo Tale: This seems like a really charming little distraction, though the card game thing is really unnecessary (I know it's supposed to be a reflection of childhood, but it should be an optional feature, not a mandatory part of plot progression). In any case, kaiju fans and casual gamers should give this one a try.

Dragon's Crown: All people ever talk about when this game is brought up is the proportions. This is becoming almost as bad as Chaos Wars being remembered only for its crap dub. Play the game, fools, and stop staring at a fictional character's knockers already. -_-

Tales of Xillia: Waiting with bated breath for this, that is all.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Great. Xillia comes out and my PS3 is dead from being 5 years old. Woop de doo.

Also I have no idea why men like 3DCG boobs flopping around like dead fish so goddamn much.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
What we are saying is that it sucks to see them sex up this otherwise strong willed character, basically to sell you DLC costumes. It's as if they have no dignity themselves.

This implies strong-willed characters can not be interested in sex, the human body is inherently degrading and lacks dignity, and Lightning wasn't wearing a miniskirt and sleeveless vest in the first game and wasn't constantly flashing her underwear and armpits in various scenes. I believe this is called slut-shaming.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
You like usual, have no idea what you're talking about.

There's nothing good or empowering about a female character acting like a whore to appease male gamers.
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I'm downloading Attack of The Friday Monsters right now. The art style really caught my eye on this one, I'm really glad it got a European release.

TheZeonicFront wrote:

Yeah man, let's not get any ideas about interesting commentary and critique here! I just want to be fed substance-free waffle about games I like.

Sarcasm mode off, I like the fact that The X Button frequently touches on controversies in the gaming industry and I heartily welcome more of that kind of writing.

You mean the same verbal diarrhea that Kotaku has been spouting since they started this BS with Dragon Crown?

It's hardly groud breaking for them to bring it up. It is more of a "me too! Me too! I'm offended by this as well!" as opposed to bringing up any actual controversy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 17