• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shonen Jump Japan Series (Not on ANN)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I have noticed a bunch of series on the Japanese Shonen Jump site that are currently running in Shonen Jump Japan that are not featured in the encyclopedia. (http://jump.shueisha.co.jp/home.html there are about ten of them)

Series such as Puyuu Fukishuu to Jaguar, Zan, Nazo no Murasume-kun, OverTime, and many more. I was just wondering why these series are not in the encyclopedia. I submitted the following Shonen Jump series:

Maison de Penguin, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, Mieru Hito, Muhyo to Rouji, Mx0, Nazo no Murasame-kun, OVERTIME, Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar, Shinsetsu Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (Seems to be a sequel to the Bobobo manga with chibi characters), Taizou Mote King Saga, To-LOVE-Ru -TROUBLE-, Zan, Sogo Hagi, and Tsugihahi Hyouryuu Sakka.

I don't know if a list of series serialized in Shonen Jump are enough for them to get pages though. (Even though the editors could easilly download the untranslated pages of Jump on this site (http://www.rawmanga.com/jump.php) to confirm the series.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I would think depending upon how new they are and also that those titles might not have been submitted yet to the staff. Remember that the staff has to go through thousands of titles a week, which a majority of them might have been already submitted or there aren't anyways that they can confirm those titles. This happens all the time. My suggestion to you would be to submit these titles to ANN, and make sure to link the Japanese Shonen Jump website also so they can confirm it.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Most of the titles don't even have sites yet. And in the case of Shintestsu Bobobo, there is nothing confirming it, other than the scans from jump.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
there are about ten of them

In fact there are hundreds of them, if not thousands, since its debut in 1968. You haven't read the PM I sent to you, have you?

fighterholic wrote:
This happens all the time. My suggestion to you would be to submit these titles to ANN, and make sure to link the Japanese Shonen Jump website also so they can confirm it.

Unfortunately, this is not going to work. Like I said, there are just way too many of them. Even simply copying the Japanese Wiki page of titles serialized in Shonen Jump would be extremely time consuming, let alone verifying each and every title. Therefore I have to set up some priorities; they are not strictly enforced but act as general guidelines.

Darn it, it's 03:30 now. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote
HUH! I wondered how you chose what books to put into the encyclopedia. I'm surprised, actually, that priority 4 isn't priority #1....I would think that featuring all manga that's available in North America would not only be more manageable, but it'd also that information on those series would be more readily available. Also, I'd think that those series would be what more casual site users would be looking for....I know when I first came here, I tried using the encyclopedia to look up info on the old Dark Horse series Chronowar and was bummed out by its exclusion.

But yeah, I don't even want to think about how much info has to be sorted through to keep that encyclopedia up to date. It's pretty amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Super Ska Master wrote:
there are about ten of them

In fact there are hundreds of them, if not thousands, since its debut in 1968. You haven't read the PM I sent to you, have you?

fighterholic wrote:
This happens all the time. My suggestion to you would be to submit these titles to ANN, and make sure to link the Japanese Shonen Jump website also so they can confirm it.

Unfortunately, this is not going to work. Like I said, there are just way too many of them. Even simply copying the Japanese Wiki page of titles serialized in Shonen Jump would be extremely time consuming, let alone verifying each and every title. Therefore I have to set up some priorities; they are not strictly enforced but act as general guidelines.

Sorry about that. I was just thinking that since the release of Jump Ultimate Stars is soon, I wanted to have the new Jump Series in the Database. I still want a page for Puyuu Fukishuu to Jaguar, because it's the only one in the game not in the database. Sorry for the inconvinience.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

My question would be when do you decide to put a title into the encyclopedia? Cause I know that I heard you guys have to do a lot of background checking and all that.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
This confuses me why Jaguar isn't in the encyclopedia, because theres lots of evidence it exists.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
HUH! I wondered how you chose what books to put into the encyclopedia. I'm surprised, actually, that priority 4 isn't priority #1.

Those were my personal priorities. They are not site policies nor strictly enforced. Just a reference. I might change or even violate them in a case-by-case basis.

jgreen wrote:
I would think that featuring all manga that's available in North America would not only be more manageable, but it'd also that information on those series would be more readily available.

Quoting myself:

dormcat wrote:
I'd like to see ANN spending more resource on increasing manga titles rather than on US-licensed manhwa titles, unless ANN wants to become a website focusing on North American licensing information -- something I don't want to see it happen. After all, this is an Encyclopedia, not a 'Licensing Information Database.'

Chris is not American (although Canadian releases are usually covered by "North American" licenses). Peter is not American. I am not American. Last and not least, anime and manga are not American.

A question just for you: should I consider P no Higeki less important for the Encyclopedia than a newly-licensed manga created by a rookie manga-ka? Wink

fighterholic wrote:
My question would be when do you decide to put a title into the encyclopedia? Cause I know that I heard you guys have to do a lot of background checking and all that.

1. When I have free time. Don't laugh; I do this out of passion, not need. I do need a day job to support myself.

2. When a reference is handy. If you have been monitoring "recently added titles" you might have noticed a "surge" of new approvals on Sep. 1st and 3rd, partly because I have just bought the newest issue of Dengeki Daioh, two issues of Megami, combined with several Newtype and Animage issues bought last month. Having them sorted out for you is easier than switching between multiple tabs in Firefox.

Occassionally, when I deal with an error report or a new submission I might bump into an information treasure trove of another title, whether already included in the Encyclopedia or not. In that case I might spend extra time on it. For example, a recent error report on IWGP made me revise cast/staff info and the relationship tree of all four adaptations.

Super Ska Master wrote:
This confuses me why Jaguar isn't in the encyclopedia, because theres lots of evidence it exists.

First, it's buried within hundreds of other submissions. Second, it's not a highly visible title that I'd learn its existence even if I haven't been following Shonen Jump for quite some time.

I've approved it (another user submitted it months before you did, though). However, I really don't like giving an impression that "pushing an Encyclopedist through the forum can get titles approved faster." That would be like opening Pandora's box. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:46 am Reply with quote
Thanks for that. Hopefully some new ones can get approved too. Don't worry, I will stop submitting them.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
This is just out of curiosity dormcat, as I have admittingly submitted alot of titles with less that reliable sources (mostly scanslation sites) this past year, but would it make it any easier for you if the source was "official"? I ask this because I recently discovered Shogakukan overhauled their english site. They don't have mush information on each title (though they do list quite a few), just a description and the ISBN, but I'm sure the official publisher's listing is prefered over a fansite.
hayakunero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:

Series such as Puyuu Fukishuu to Jaguar, Zan, Nazo no Murasume-kun, OverTime, and many more. I was just wondering why these series are not in the encyclopedia. I submitted the following Shonen Jump series:

Maison de Penguin, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, Mieru Hito, Muhyo to Rouji, Mx0, Nazo no Murasame-kun, OVERTIME, Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar, Shinsetsu Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (Seems to be a sequel to the Bobobo manga with chibi characters), Taizou Mote King Saga, To-LOVE-Ru -TROUBLE-, Zan, Sogo Hagi, and Tsugihahi Hyouryuu Sakka.

http://www.rawmanga.com/****** This site is obviously illegal. Are you allowed to link it? No one cares though and I don't download them since I buy Jump every week.

Tsugihagi hyouryuu Sakka ended a few months ago because the manga wasn't popular. Some manga will end soon for the same reason.

Puyuu Fukishuu to Jaguar is the same manga as Pyuuto fuku Jaguar?

what is Sogo Hagi? I can't remember that manga. Could you write the title in Japanese? Then I might remember the manga.

My fovorite is Moteou(Moteoh?). I bought volume 4 two day ago. Very Happy
ソゴハギがまじでわからない。漢字も思いつかないしな~。とりあえずあの違法サイトを集英社に報告しときますか。
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow..so many damn japanese titles. I wish Jump Ultimate Stars would come out so I could learn some of the newer Jump mangas. I will be so addicted.. Anime cry
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
They don't have mush information on each title (though they do list quite a few), just a description and the ISBN, but I'm sure the official publisher's listing is prefered over a fansite.

Certainly, and thank you very much. So Shogakukan now has their own English catalog site corresponding to Kodansha's Kodanclub. Very nice, but Kodaclub is still better by providing sample pages and international releases information.

Personally I still prefer official Japanese sites in Japanese e.g. s-book.com a bit more. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
SO does it really not help when the sources are in Japanese?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2