• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Wonderfully Weird Anime Spin-Offs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkhawk220

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
"Spike Lee Naruto spin-off"

I'm pretty sure, it's "Rock Lee", unless I missed a big slice of news.

Nice list. Unfortunately, I have yet to see any of these Sad
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
Alright, let's list all the typos in this article:

Quote:
This reimagining is similar to the recent Spike Lee Naruto spin-off;

Unless Naruto has recently started complaining about the "man keeping him down" and taken up an interest in the New York Knicks, I think you meant to say Rock Lee.

Quote:
Mokono is now a magical cherry blossom fairy

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't this be Mokona, with an A?

Quote:
In the live-action series, the main character Tsuyoshi has watches the show and collects merchandise

This should be either "has watched" or "watches", depending on the tense of the sentence in question.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
Gatchaman Crowds is turning out to be an extremely bizarre spin-off so far. I'm not quite sure why this was made.

Didn't know Nanoha was a spin-off. Go Figure.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Geeze the snack question was pretty tough! I went with takoyaki, especially when places add those fish flakes on top! Collon's weren't listed on there. I love the vanilla cream ones >_>
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Gatchaman Crowds is turning out to be an extremely bizarre spin-off so far. I'm not quite sure why this was made.

Is it even a spin-off, or just a weird remake/re-imagining?
manhiem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
v1cious wrote:

It's a spin-off. In one of the more recent episodes (I think the one from August 9) they actually mentioned the predecessor team.

On another note, I can't believe that they left out "Railgun". I mean, the series opens with the statment that it is a "side story" to "Index".

Last edited by manhiem on Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Didn't know Nanoha was a spin-off. Go Figure.

Don't feel bad, most people don't. Considering how obscure the source is and how much Nanoha has eclipsed it in popularity, you can't really fault them.

That being said, I had no idea Nurse Witch Komugi was a spin-off. That is completely baffling.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Question: would The Certain Scientific Railgun be considered a spinoff of A Certain Magical Index?
Harima

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realise Angel Links was a spinoff Surprised You learn something new everyday Very Happy

Like Manheim said, you forgot to mention “To Aru Kagaku no Railgun”. You also forgot “Futakoi Alternative” which was far better than “Futakoi” in every way but the conclusion was not really satisfying (Squid battles !!)
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
Question: would The Certain Scientific Railgun be considered a spinoff of A Certain Magical Index?

Kinda, but I guess it could also be considered a side-story.

Anyway, I watched SoulTaker (I thought it was pretty good), but I have no interest in Nurse Witch Komugi. She was kinda cute in the main series, but a comedy ecchi spin-off is not what I would have asked for.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't consider the Rayearth OVA to be a spin-off; it's more of just an alternate telling of the story.

It would be the same as saying the Tenchi Universe TV series is a spin-off of the Tenchi Muyo! OVA series.. (Pretty Sammy is the spin-off of Tenchi Muyo! btw)
...or the Gurren Lagann movies are a spin-off of the Gurren Lagann TV series...
...or The Wanders: El Hazard is a spin off of the El Hazard OVAs.
...of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a spin-off of Fullmetal Alchemist.

A spin-off is something that originated in one thing but now exists separately...
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Komugi made the list. It's not exactly a landmark anime, but it has its moments (the ASCII art enemies, the many jibes at obsessed otaku, the Gatchaman homage, ...). I'm also glad to see the Rayearth OVA make the list. I like the TV series as much as the next guy, but I appreciate the fact the the OVA was quite a bit less weepy and a whole lot darker.

I'm kind of surprised DD Hokuto no Ken didn't make the list. If Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld in SD form was wacky enough, you'd think that Kenshiro and company in an SD comedy would be as well.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
manhiem wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
v1cious wrote:

It's a spin-off. In one of the more recent episodes (I think the one from August 9) they actually mentioned the predecessor team.

I wouldn't count it, since there's no evidence of any of them having appeared anywhere in the original series or OVA: Frasier is a spinoff of Cheers because the titular was initially in Cheers. Same with Daria, she was first a character on Beavis and Butthead. Crowds is just another type of series that references back to the original.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Technically an alternative-retelling, I still think it's nice Rayearth got a mention, for the sole reason that it's underrated and not as well known as it should be.

Adventures of Mini-Goddesses definitely belongs there, but a Sasami series, be it Magical Project S or Sasami Magical Girls Club, is sorely missing on this list. You did mention it in passing in your opening paragraph, but I still believe that either of these Tenchi spin-offs are representative examples of what a spin-off series can be and how we get to see different and similar sides of the same characters in brand new adventures.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Would we consider Sailor Moon a spinoff of Codename: Sailor V or a continuation?

As for J-snacks, Buddha Boogers:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3