• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - ANN Dash

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll also mention-for those who didn't know-that the Raymond Burr version is included on the Godzilla disc. (I need to see that one day, I guess...)But yeah, it took Toho 52 years to release the original film here, so check it out before they discontinue it for the inevitable R2-only Blu Ray/HD version. (Now if only they'd let me see the 90's Mothra movies, Destroy All Monsters and G vs Destroyah...)

Moving on, Pani Poni Dash doesn't quite grab me, and I'm holding out for Nerima Daikon Bros.
scortia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
*cries at the thought of Noein only deserving to be a rental*

The chaotic nature of the beginning of the series is one of the main reasons the series won me over... it kept me curious and interested. Well, Noein is a hard series for most people to get into. Razz
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god. That Pani Poni Dash DVD cover has to be one of the funniest things I've seen in a while, in and of itself.

It's so...awesome. Shocked

If the show's anything like that, I'm sold.

For some reason I'm fondly reminded of both Tenma and Harima at the same time; her for the face, him for the suit. Anime hyper
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Oh my god. That Pani Poni Dash DVD cover has to be one of the funniest things I've seen in a while, in and of itself.

It's so...awesome. Shocked

Yes, yes it is. PPD is made of win. Too bad the review mentioned nothing of the dub though, I'm wondering how it's going to be like... But I honestly have faith in ADV, I still think they did a stellar job with Excel Saga, so I think they'll do also do great with this parody anime. I think comedy is ADV's strong point, but that's just my opinion.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
That cover alone makes me want to go out and buy that DVD, at first I thought I was looking at something photoshopped...but that is so funny looks like I know whats going on my netflix.

Delta

P.S. You like the standing if you are a ducks fan like me......and yes the new name sucks along with the new uniforms....and them changing the arena's name.....Honda Center....wtf.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
That cover alone makes me want to go out and buy that DVD, at first I thought I was looking at something photoshopped...but that is so funny looks like I know whats going on my netflix.

yeah now i'm curious about it as well. that cover is funny.

i know this probably won't mean much... but Noein gets a lot better as it goes along.
pat_payne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I love the release of Gojira, but it's a stretch to call the subtitles "excellent." While they're mostly well-done, they have a few glaring problems...during the sequence on Odo Island, they're badly mistimed, with one disapearing and the next popping up in the middle of a character's line, and they're too thin and light colored for some scenes, making them hard to read.

As for being discontinued, I wasn't aware this was a limited edition...is it?

And Pani Poni? I saw it at AX, and thought it was yet another insufferably dumb fluff show that's ALL style and that consciously avoids any substance possible. It was like a stale marshmallow, IMHO.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:
And Pani Poni? I saw it at AX, and thought it was yet another insufferably dumb fluff show that's ALL style and that consciously avoids any substance possible. It was like a stale marshmallow, IMHO.

Well ya, it's a comedy, solely a comedy and nothing else really. It's not supposed to provide any sort of substance, it's supposed to be funny. I can see you not liking it if you were expecting some sort of story. But besides that, it's not for everybody too. None of my friends are able to stand this kind of random/parody comedy with no plot, so you wouldn't be alone.

Edit: And this off-topic, but WTF is up with your profile? It says you registered July 2006, but you have posts dating back to 2004!?

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I've got a question on Pani Poni Dash!. I started watching Negima!?, and I've found myself extremely frustrated with the cinematography and storytelling style of it. Is Pani Poni Dash! done in the same vein as Negima!??

I think I want to see it, but I don't want to be treated to the same things I disliked about Negima!? in another show.

Last edited by GoodLuckSaturday on Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Both Pani Poni Dash and Negima!? are both directed by Akiyuki Shimbo with animation done by SHAFT, and they both pretty much share the same staff. So there are some similarites in terms of cinematography and visual gags (like the always-changing chalkboard). Of course Pani Poni Dash is strictly a comedy series, and the staff will go all out in terms of bizzarness. Don't expect any plot in this series; it's all comedy in order to make you laugh.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
(Now if only they'd let me see the 90's Mothra movies, Destroy All Monsters and G vs Destroyah...)

Well, you'll be getting the 1964 Mothra vs. Godzilla and Godzilla Raids Again later this month. From the same people who released Gojira, to boot. And Godzilla vs. Monster Zero, Ghidrah, Godzilla's Revenge, Terror of Mechagodzilla, and I believe Rodan & War of the Gargantuas are all coming eventually from Classic Media, as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jello44

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I am confused... ADV did the recording for Second Raid.. but Funimation is distrubiting it?? That's... odd..

PS Yes, the Cap has changed things... I mean.. just look at my Flyers :(
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
jello44 wrote:
Ok, I am confused... ADV did the recording for Second Raid.. but Funimation is distrubiting it?? That's... odd..

And it's all thanks to Kadokawa Pictures USA for putting those companies to work together. Very Happy
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
i'm going to pick up FMP. As for Pani Poni...i need to read up on it more. Is it as extreme as Excel Saga or is it more of a lighter comedy like...well i can't think of what tI want type here. Shocked

i hope someone understands my question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pat_payne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Edit: And this off-topic, but WTF is up with your profile? It says you registered July 2006, but you have posts dating back to 2004!?

That's kind of surprising but not overwhelmingly so. What happened was that I had registered before, but couldn't remember the password or the e-mail I had used to sign up with for the life of me, and so said "hades take it, I'll just sign up again." Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3