• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop licenses Battle Vixens

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aqualung

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:21 am Reply with quote
What's up with Tokyopop these days? First they change the name of Ai ga Tomaranai to "A.I. Love You", now they change the name to Ikkitousen to "Battle Vixens." Did they see Mou-chan in her bondage maid outfit? Did they go to Viz School of Totally Stupid Anime/Manga Names (look what they did with Ranma!)? What have they been smoking/snorting/drinking/shooting up?! C'mon, Tokyopop! Today's otaku can handle a manga's original title. If you're going to translate the title, try to at least stay within the solar system! With the way you've been going lately, you'd change Pretty Face to only Kami-sama knows what!

Aqualung
(president for the Soceity for the Prevention of Lousy Translation of Manga Titles)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:49 am Reply with quote
ummm... who cares? it's going to be the same god damn story, so who cares? If it helps it sell better, then that's even better!
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:19 pm Reply with quote
So, what do those Japanese names translate into?
nanashi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:57 pm Reply with quote
A.I. ga Tomaranai : "The Love Won't Stop (A.I. being a double-entendre, the word "love" in Japanese as well as the acronym for artificial intelligence)

Ikki Tousen: Literally "One soldier equates to a thousand troops." An old saying used to describe the extraordinary might of any certain individual: I think its origins go back to the Sangokushi (Romance of Three Kingdoms) novels that the manga is sort-of, kind-of based on.
animaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:43 pm Reply with quote
well the name change like the other name changes tokyopop does is annoying. its ikkitousen. it sucks anime or manga. I can see why they changed the name and in this case I don't really care
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aqualung

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
ummm... who cares? it's going to be the same god damn story, so who cares? If it helps it sell better, then that's even better!

I care, as well as a number of other Ikkitousen fans that I know. If they can change the title, who's to say that they won't change the translation, or edit out some scenes, like Viz did way back when with Mai, the Psychic Girl? Are you old enough to remember what Uncle Carl did to Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada to make Robotech? I've been an otaku for twenty years, so I do remember it.

Aqualung
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:48 pm Reply with quote
^^^

Once again, there are a lot of fans who like Robotech. Myself included.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:02 am Reply with quote
"If they change the title, who's to say that they won't edit all the names, make all the characters into lawn gnomes that shoot poison darts, destroy our crops, and salt the earth?!?

WE MUST STOP THESE MADMEN NOW!"

The days of Unca Carl and Robotech are long gone. Welcome to the days of "Leaving everything intact but the title so that it might attract some of the fringe anime fans."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Extalia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
You forgot that they could make a fantasy into a boring school life. There by leaving out the juicy bits of the original.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
Okay, this is some serious necroposting, so I'm locking it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1