• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gene Simmons Graces Cover of Big Comic Magazine

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
Why the comic/manga book world wants anything to do with him, I'll never know. He has no business being in the field after condoning his son's plagiarism.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Why the comic/manga book world wants anything to do with him,

Money
otakumachinegun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
I think it is more of a ego/self-promotion thing when it comes to Gene Simmons, rather than money. He seems to be the master when it comes to marketing himself and Kiss. Regardless of what form of media or merchandising endeavor that it happens to be at the moment.
Adamb15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I forgot the difference between Gene and Nick, and came here expecting to be full of righteously anger.

I leave empty-handed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenbya: Considering certain manga have appropriated his band's likenesses a few times, I'm going to argue it's slightly fair game. [*cough* Four Kings of Cromartie. *cough*] For example, if Nick had just made similar nods to Bleach, instead of just outright tracing the art, we'd all be cool with that. That comic of Nick's was removed from publication, anyway. And I would not be surprised if part of the reason Viz was able to get that live-action DMC with Gene's cameo cheap was because it was part of the deal not to sue for damages. [I am not a lawyer, though.] So I don't think Gene took kindly to that, or the negative press general, and most likely gave Nick a stern lecturing over it behind closed doors.

Anyway, it's settled, and at least Nick copped to it, unlike [soapboxing removed].

[Mod Edit: No, you're not soapboxing or you're going right back on moderation. Stick to the topic instead of trying to divert it in to your typical "all things are copied from anime and manga" garbage particularly since you've been disproven and discredited time and time again]
otakumachinegun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And I would not be surprised if part of the reason Viz was able to get that live-action DMC with Gene's cameo cheap was because it was part of the deal not to sue for damages.

Considering that DMC takes it's title from "Detroit Rock City" By KISS is probably why he was offered the role. Of course, as I stated in my previous post, Gene doesn't miss a chance to be in the spotlight when he can.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
otakumachine: Gene probably likes the Japan metal scene. Or maybe the culture in general. He's also been Tweeting occasional pics of various KISS/Hello Kitty merch. That's why he signed up. Of course, he's been known to go slumming before DMC... Rolling Eyes Either way, just 'cus they got him cheap there does not mean we were gonna luck out as well.
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Another set of shows in Japan, still no performance at The Big Egg. Is the band afraid they wouldn't get a big enough crowd to come to the Tokyo Dome? Budokan Hall is still fairly large but they have to give it a shot at least once. Maybe they stick to Budokan because of tradition.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
BTW, someone needs to update his encyclopedia profile, because it says he's fluent in Japanese, but he said on Twitter that he knows a few phrases.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a good marketing ploy to me. The comic gets a famous face on the cover and Gene gets to have a bit of spotlight on him for his up coming tour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
otakumachinegun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Stumbled on a interview with Gene Simmons which may shed light on the subject http://youtu.be/cZS-znRmfA4 Warning: Gene has a pottymouth (explicit language). To be fair to Mr. Simmons, it is possible that the people at Big Comics may have made the decision for the cover without him being involved at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1