• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best World-Building Tournament: Minigame.

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farichada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm lacking in confidence too, but I think I have a solid group A winner and Group A and B finalist locked down.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Turned mine in at the last minute, as usual. Definitely feeling less than confident about a lot of those picks, and I'm not sure that spending more than 20 minutes on making my picks would have helped. Really, I thought the number of sure-fire winners compared to past tournaments was exceedingly low this time.

Anyway, due to some other things that have come up over the course of the last couple of days, I'm a little behind. The pairings are ready to go but not the set-up post, so likely they start of the tournament will be delayed by an hour or more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
farichada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
And yet Key will place in the top 6. I can't remember a time where Key completely tanked unless everyone else tanked with him. As long as you didn't pick something uber darkhorse like Macross against the favored seed to win it all, you should probably be okay. I still remain super curious to how LoGH will fare. That whole group could go many ways.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
So now that you can't send in the minigame anymore. What was everyone's final matchup? I had Gold Crown Town beating World of Madoka Magica.
farichada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
I think Gold Crown Town has an okay chance of making it to the final though I did not select it, but I think Madoka's world is a long shot. I picked The Twelve Kingdoms for A/B and I'm going to keep quiet on the far less predictable C/D group winner prediction.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
farichada wrote:
I think Gold Crown Town has an okay chance of making it to the final though I did not select it, but I think Madoka's world is a long shot. I picked The Twelve Kingdoms for A/B and I'm going to keep quiet on the far less predictable C/D group winner prediction.

Yeah I just picked shows that I liked or thought would be popular lol, so I am not expecting a top 10 result.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
I must be crazy: Academy City all the way, beating out GITS:SAC in the final
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
I think I had Amestris beating LoGH, but then, I have no idea what I'm doing. I tried to pick things that are popular on these forums, but my personal bias kept getting in the way xD It was also hard to figure out how popular certain shows that get talked about a lot more outside of ANN are here...
farichada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:29 am Reply with quote
The GiTS and Spice and Wolf match will probably wreck tons of people's brackets regardless of how it turns out. Spice and Wolf was a top 8 seed, and GITS was nominated very late and did not get enough nominations for seed status. Against average strength opponents I believe each could win at least three matches.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
I would classify the Madoka Magica setting as an extreme long shot to make the finals. It's a great series but far from what I would consider an elite example of world-building. I'm not convinced that it even survives its quarter of the B bracket.

I will also be curious to see how far LoGH goes, as entries from that series have always been successful but not Final Four-level successful.

For me, the most interesting part of the bracket to watch is going to be the bottom half of the D bracket. Although I do think there's one favorite in that half, I could see as many as 4-5 different possibilities for reasonably winning the D-22 match-up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Tris8 wrote:

mostly because I leaned a lot toward what I think should progress

I considered that approach and I considered the popular route but I went with the same criteria I used to nominate: "Does it all fit together?" only now with something to compare it.
Ya, there were a couple match-ups where a strong but lesser-known candidate was against a decent but highly popular candidate and I had a difficult time predicting those ones. For the most part I tried to do what you did and judge on the overall impression and internal consistency of the show. What Group was the easiest/hardest for you to predict?

B bracket was the easiest as it was filled with many of my own nominations though I fully admit I'm fully biased against Moribito which will do better than, honestly, it should.

Also, it's not hard to vote against a series that can really only be summed up as "Future France" or "1960's Japan". To clarify, Japan in the 1960's was still repairing itself after WWII, exploring American influences as well as the world and trying to identify itself for a new era as well as a whole host of things. Covering one of these in an extremely limited way doesn't quite set the stage for being called "1960's Japan". Vote against.

I was surprised that a number of shows I was somewhat against like Roanapur {Serious or silly world, pick one please} or Gaea {Girls, shoujo genre and mechas, it works? Sort of?} lasted a bit longer than I thought they would.

My final matchup was Amestris versus Daikuuriku {I fully admit these were shows I nominated}, both shows with full historical backstories and developed cultures {and clashes there of!} in what is clearly not the "Earth" as we accept it. If you're going to have a war, have a reason for it, if you're going to have racial and class prejudice, explore it. If you're just going to "copy and paste" history and famous stories in a new medium, you better have a good reason for taken the road well travelled.

Amrestris won because the other is too experimental for its own good.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
B bracket was the easiest as it was filled with many of my own nominations though I fully admit I'm fully biased against Moribito which will do better than, honestly, it should.

And when it comes up in the tournament I will be very interested to hear your rationale for this, as I don't see that it has a major shortcoming.

Quote:
My final matchup was Amestris versus Daikuuriku {I fully admit these were shows I nominated}, both shows with full historical backstories and developed cultures {and clashes there of!} in what is clearly not the "Earth" as we accept it. If you're going to have a war, have a reason for it, if you're going to have racial and class prejudice, explore it. If you're just going to "copy and paste" history and famous stories in a new medium, you better have a good reason for taken the road well travelled.

While I would love to see Daikuuriku go that far (I think it's at least a top eight setting based on merit), I don't expect it to.

EDIT: Fixed tag.

Last edited by Key on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
farichada wrote:
The GiTS and Spice and Wolf match will probably wreck tons of people's brackets regardless of how it turns out. Spice and Wolf was a top 8 seed, and GITS was nominated very late and did not get enough nominations for seed status. Against average strength opponents I believe each could win at least three matches.

Yeah, this is the one I'm most worried about, since the wrong competitor getting knocked out will severely hurt my game. But I decided to take a few chances this time, since the ones I took last game worked out okay (I correctly picked a few non-seeds who took out seeds, at very least).
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
After reading everyone's comments about their brackets, I'm suddenly not as worried about mine as I was when I submitted them! I had pretty much no clue what I was doing, either.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes having no clue is definitely helpful!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22