• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TAF 2007: Baccano! TV Anime Announcements

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Baccano! is a crime drama set in prohibition era New York City. Currently 9 volumes of the novel series have been released...

Well I think that I will have to give this a shot based off that information, Anything dealing with New York during Prohibition and has a crime drama element to it instantly makes it at least worth a look.....any chance Chrno and Rosette might have a guess spot on this show... Wink
icepick314

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
cool...

i love the Prohibition Era in the 20's with gangsters and underground speakeasy....

hopefully it'll have same mood as The Untouchables....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Some more information on it:

AnimeNfo.com wrote:
A.D. 1711, in the Pacific Ocean, alchemists had left their countries and they were heading for a new world. What they obtained from a devil was “Immortal Drink”. Those who drank “Immortal Drink” became immortal and they could eat each other by their right hands.

In 1930s, New York.
People in shadowy side of the society, a boy Filo and his boss Miser of Martillo Family, a stupid thieves couple Issac and Millia, three mafia brothers Gandol, a delinquent boy Dallas and his sister Eve, an alchemist Cerrad more than 200 years old and his assistant Ennis, are living independent lives. However, when Cerrad revives “Immortal Drink”, their fates are going to over wrap complicatedly.

In Frying Pussy Foot, a transcontinental railway from Chicago to New York, there were many kinds of people, for example, Goose and Sharne of terrorists group “Remlace”, street gangs led by Jacuzzi and Nice, a murder Ladd and his fiancée Lua, a senator Beriam and his daughter Mary, a delinquent boy, a conductor, an informer, etc. However, those who are in the train are not only humans… A legendary “Rail Tracer”, a ghost who removes passengers from back cars, appears.

Suffice to say I'll definitely be checking it out. And that the ones behind Kamichu! will also be involved is another reason to do so. They'll (hopefully) be leagues apart in overall mood, though.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Quote:
Baccano! is a crime drama set in prohibition era New York City. Currently 9 volumes of the novel series have been released...

Well I think that I will have to give this a shot based off that information, Anything dealing with New York during Prohibition and has a crime drama element to it instantly makes it at least worth a look.....any chance Chrno and Rosette might have a guess spot on this show... Wink

Ha, that would be nice.

I like the setting of NYC in the 1930s, and it being a crime drama really piqued my interest. I'll be giving this a look as well. That Immortal Drink thing sounds quite intriguing too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
The Baccano! novels are insane pulp fun.
Worth pointing out that one of the author's other series, Vamp!, is coming out in English this summer from seven Seas.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I saw the trailer, looks promising. Kamichu was very well animated, so if nothing else this should be a visual tour de force.

The Staff list isn't too bad either, Takahiro Kishida is an excellent animator and Takahiro OMORI worked on Gunbuster and Haibane Renmei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1