• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Manga Has 500,000 Copies in English

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skafreak51

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Holy. Cow.

Just for reference, most average manga and American graphic novels sell around 3k to 10k lifetime, with big hits selling anywhere in the tens of thousands... but it looks like the first volume has easily sold over 100k.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
Holy. Cow.

Just for reference, most average manga and American graphic novels sell around 3k to 10k lifetime, with big hits selling anywhere in the tens of thousands... but it looks like the first volume has easily sold over 100k.

3k to 10k is pretty sad. lol. In France, some manga can average 80-100k per vol.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
skafreak51 wrote:
Holy. Cow.

3k to 10k is pretty sad. lol. In France, some manga can average 80-100k per vol.

Most people don't read trades, that's why. Single issues sell a lot here(relatively), but trades don't.
skafreak51

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
skafreak51 wrote:
Holy. Cow.

Yeah its really annoying too. Superhero movies can make a billion dollars at the box office, and yet the comics that they originated from are super niche.

It's really sad how poor comics do in NA, but it's been an upward battle these last few years at least. It's getting a better.
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
skafreak51 wrote:
Holy. Cow.

France has a bigger overall comic market than the US and Canada, so that should be obvious. Hell, comics are bigger in Europe than the US and Japan combined. It's passed the days were US comics could do nearly 2 million per issue. 200k is considered "huge" these days.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
Holy. Cow.

I wasn't surprised until I saw the above comment but I was more surprised over the fact that comics sell so little in the US and Canada (not that the UK sales are great).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
People are really all over it Shocked while i read the first Volume after i saw the anime and it din't add up to the anime so much, the art is sometimes to off for me to be all over it.
It doesn't take away from the story much but i'm saying there are things out there that deserve it way more because of it.

But dammn 500.000 already makes me really excited to see how much money Funimation can make out of the anime since that was the reason pepole went grazy over this thing in the first place.
There has to be a second season come on !!!

Guess i'd still be reading the manga through the volumes no matter what but really not so much for the art which i still consider a importand thing i'm really like this could have been so much better but it just isn't.
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Booo!

At least Kodansha can use the money they've earned to publish better manga.
sainta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
pykrete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

Comparison.

In 2008, Bleach had at least 22 volumes released in the USA, and its anime aired stateside in 2006.

Right now, Shingeki only has 7 volumes released in the USA.

I wonder how well FMA did.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
MentalMachine wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
skafreak51 wrote:
Holy. Cow.

France has a bigger overall comic market than the US and Canada, so that should be obvious. Hell, comics are bigger in Europe than the US and Japan combined. It's passed the days were US comics could do nearly 2 million per issue. 200k is considered "huge" these days.

Europe being bigger than Japan comic market! LOL! You're so wrong my man!
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is amazing. I wonder what's the US sales is going to look like. Hopefully, maybe Funimation could have Attack on Titan get a TV broadcast on Toonami (and the Funimation Channel).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Wow, this is amazing. I wonder what's the US sales is going to look like. Hopefully, maybe Funimation could have Attack on Titan get a TV broadcast on Toonami (and the Funimation Channel).

Not really a "maybe" on the Toonami thing. It's basically guaranteed.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:35 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Booo!

At least Kodansha can use the money they've earned to publish better manga.

I'm quite fond of Attack on Titan, or at least the fan game with Unity (http://fenglee.com/game/aog/) and as far as the anime goes as the manga gets a little crazy but they have already done this.

Kodansha are bringing over Vinland Saga in omnibus hardcover form, the first volume is already out and on my shelf. I'm sure AoT won't last DBZ + FUNimation long as far as reprinting and new releases, so you won't even hear about the series in this sense for that much longer.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote
There were 500,000 copies of Sailor Moon Vol. 1 (Kodansha USA edition) after it had been in print for only a month.

I do think manga sells as well if not better than American comic trades here. Most bookstores I've seen recently have a MUCH bigger manga selection than American comics. However, that is likely to blame on the fact that most comic readers do get the regular issues over the collected editions. Manga readers have no other choice, other than digital.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2