• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dead Girl Walking

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Sakura Wars yet but Sankarea was definitely a show I was surprised at. I'm neutral on the topic of zombies but definitely enjoyed the show overall. Now if maybe in the future the series can get another season in the future, I'd be even more happy.

Oh and loved that LO and Accelerator figures Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I've been contemplating buying the Sakura Wars blu ray, but seeing as how i already have the dvd im not sure. Its not my favorite movie, but it looks fantastic, and the fact that the blu ray looks even better is awfully tempting. And it seems someone likes the railgun a lot. That strike witches movie is also cool. I've thought about importing it, but its a shame it doesnt have English subtitles like the series.

btw I am assuming this is the corrected blu ray of Sankarea that was reviewed and not the censored one that was previously released.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
We still do the Halloween thing for the little'uns that always show up at our door every year. I'm afraid all those titles are a dead loss to me. Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
But is Sankarea still Shelf Worthy in the current TV-censored version that Funimation's been knowingly or unknowingly peddling? Or have the new versions gotten out already?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing Bamboo doesn't care about the lack of boobs, a panty shot and some large intestine
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
I've been contemplating buying the Sakura Wars blu ray, but seeing as how i already have the dvd im not sure. Its not my favorite movie, but it looks fantastic, and the fact that the blu ray looks even better is awfully tempting. And it seems someone likes the railgun a lot. That strike witches movie is also cool. I've thought about importing it, but its a shame it doesnt have English subtitles like the series.

btw I am assuming this is the corrected blu ray of Sankarea that was reviewed and not the censored one that was previously released.

It has to be the censored TV broadcast version. The Japanese retail version probably won't get out here to early next year.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
So much manga and no naruto or bleach or one piece in sight!! good guy Oliver
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
after becoming an akb fan in teh most convoluted way possible; I am a fan of fightin games, then noticed akira yasuda ,aka akiman posted his mendol boxset. sicne I also like tg and yuri stuff I immediately got mendol which was my intor to akb48. I agree that akb0048 is shelf worthy is either you are and akb fan or a fan of sol yuri googles shows.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
Sankarea was reasonably well dubbed but that's about the only thing that I can see going in its favor. I didn't see anything enduring about it that would earn it a space on anything higher than the rental shelf.

Worst part about Sankarea was how it lost the potential it had in the early eps to be either a serious dark show or a "dark comedy", wandering instead through ~9 episodes of trite romcom schlock (and blatant filler) before showing us a teaser for what seemed to be an actually dramatic and interesting second season. A second season that I'm not sure will happen.

Sankarea excised all of the drama from season one and stuffed in pathetic rom-com stuff in its place. I would have much rather seen zombie hunters on the prowl (promised development for season 2) than seen that Furuya's cousin demeaned herself to fall in love with Furuya for the most inexplicable of reasons and that, despite his sacrifices for her, Furuya is forever damned to the special circle of hell that is the "friend zone" with Rea. Tragically he is okay with this.

Also,spoiler[ I can't abide by the BS that getting your scrape licked by a zombie girl gives you temporary immortality that lasts just long enough for you to, after you've been "killed", finish your heartstring-tugging cheesy speech. I also don't buy that simply wrapping some gauze around your torso is enough to fully deal with the wounds resulting from being run through by a sword]
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
Sakura Wars: The Movie was the very first thing of Sakura Wars I've ever seen. I may not have understood everything, but it got me interested in checking out the TV series. I think this title is a classic in its own right.

In the opening number, "Miracle Bell," maybe standing in place was really the intent? I speak in defense because I think that opening song is just phenomenal, a near-perfect blend of gorgeous music (I listen to the song on the soundtrack CD almost repeatedly) and rotoscope-style animation without it actually being rotoscope.
mckg1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
Lol, nice tittle: "dead girl walking" nice read, as aalways . Will prob buy sankarea Smile. I reallu enjoyed it when it was streaming
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But is Sankarea still Shelf Worthy in the current TV-censored version that Funimation's been knowingly or unknowingly peddling? Or have the new versions gotten out already?

I don't think so. When I saw this I immediately checked Rightstuf, and it's still not listed. So I guess Bamboo got the early copy censored version.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
I liked Sankara until I realized the actual implications of Chihiro wanting a "zombie girlfriend" sure it's supposed to be all sweet and charming. But once you've thought the premise out to it's logical conclusion(for me at least) it quits being that and becomes uncomfortable for me.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Sankarea's ED was my favorite ending theme of 2012. I got hooked to the show by the end of episode 2, and by episode 3.....oh dang.

I've heard polarizing opinions about Sankarea, bu if I had to pick an anime about zombies to put on on my shelf, I'd choose Sankarea over Highschool of the Dead, any day. I actually liked Kore wa Zobie desu ka also, knowing full well how stupid that show is, lol.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
I liked Sankara until I realized the actual implications of Chihiro wanting a "zombie girlfriend" sure it's supposed to be all sweet and charming. But once you've thought the premise out to it's logical conclusion(for me at least) it quits being that and becomes uncomfortable for me.

What is the logical conclusion? If you are talking about Rea going wild and killing him, well, that would kind of end the series. So that doesn't seem like a path that the writer would travel, at least not to a 'dead end'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2