• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Domu

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Should add that Guillermo Del Toro's been unsuccessfully trying to remake it, and that Rian Johnson's Looper is an homage to it. Wink
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Glad to have you on as a regular now, Shaenon! I'm looking forward to your tag-team with Jason. I know that Basara was mentioned in the Badass Shoujo edition, but since Ceres, Swan, and Banana Fish got their own columns I would really like one for Basara.

Domu sounds like something I would enjoy. I'm gonna have to add that to my list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xeroth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
...and it's out of print. Damn.
No Comment

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Glad to have you on as a regular now, Shaenon! I'm looking forward to your tag-team with Jason. I know that Basara was mentioned in the Badass Shoujo edition, but since Ceres, Swan, and Banana Fish got their own columns I would really like one for Basara.

Domu sounds like something I would enjoy. I'm gonna have to add that to my list.
animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2011-10-27

Planning on reading this eventually. I feel like if I finish Akira first, I won't appreciate it as much, so maybe sooner rather than later.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
^Ah, thank you. Man, I even skimmed the list before I posted. Clearly I should have just done CTRL+F. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meleemasta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Damn it, it's out of print. That really blows when I get hyped up after reading an article aaaand it's out of print.

I guess I'll never ever be able to read this manga ever for the rest of my life for all time.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Glad Shaenon joined! She has great taste in off the path shojo! Yeah, basara was mentioned in the badass shojo article, but I agree, needs its own thing. Maybe two, that's possibly the densest manga I have ever read, missing one volume of Basara makes me feel like I missed at least three episode of Game of Thrones.

I think Baby & Me, Kaze Hikaru, and Key to the Kingdom need articles too (if requests are noticed, but I feel confident these three would get one at some point), and plenty of others.

Oh and someone has got to cover the greatest cat manga ever in What's Michael?, which also had the late great Torren Smith work on it. And omfg, I describe it as the manga the internet would make about cats, it's a wonder it's not more popular.

But yeah, can't wait to see what else you write, Shaenon! Good to have more views methinks
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote
Domu is a masterpiece. I still hold out hope that we'll someday get a no-holds barred, big-budget movie of it from Studio 4C. I love the new cover. I read it first in the old 3-part edition from Dark Horse (IIRC), and it spoiled the identity of the killer on the cover, even though the story keeps things a bit mysterious for a while.

And yes! That ending!
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
Those bemoaning the out of print status... check your local library.

I first read Domu many many years ago after seeing it at my local library, which is also where I borrowed all the volumes of Akira.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
this is such an outstandingly great manga, just amazing, the ending gave me serious goosebumps

and this article is right about the eerie believability of it all, like if psychics really were real, this is what it would be like

and I love the idea of psychic phenomena, instead of being an exceedingly rare phenomena, happening all the time just the below the surface of mundane, every day life
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Meleemasta wrote:
Damn it, it's out of print. That really blows when I get hyped up after reading an article aaaand it's out of print.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but the author of this column has previously written an article about this manga a few years ago.

There are some series that are popular enough to have reprints but unfortunately a good chunk of series published before or during the early 2000s are going out of print. Hope for an updated re-release in the future, if anything. Some interesting titles like The Walking Man and Ultra Gash Inferno have received that treatment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1