• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Gets Best Independent Award from Retail Group

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to Geneon! They've certainly taken up a signifiant portion of my bank account.

I am a tad concerned about them though, what with all the problems they've been having with LE releases and the recent lack of art boxes, plus the rumors that they and New Generation Pictures aren't on good terms. (Hope that one is a load of crap, NGP's done some awesome dubs for Geneon.)

They've done well though as an independant. There's no denying that they are a strong company. A couple of extra strong sellers might really give them the boost needed to become a true major player.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I think it is more that Geneon is asking for lower and lower budgets on dubs, and thus New Generation Pictures just isn't doing any work because it would mean a drop in quality. At least, that is what was reported from NGP's perspective. They're using other studios to save cost (most infamous being Odex in Singapore), so I think it's mainly an economic thing rather than them being on bad terms. Don't know for sure, though.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... I kinda had a feeling that NGP wouldn't be able to strut their stuff if they kept dropping the budgets and stuff...

This is really bad news, if that's the case.
DanielJr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations, Geneon! Thanks for all the great titles. Smile
DanielJr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
I think it is more that Geneon is asking for lower and lower budgets on dubs, and thus New Generation Pictures just isn't doing any work because it would mean a drop in quality. At least, that is what was reported from NGP's perspective. They're using other studios to save cost (most infamous being Odex in Singapore), so I think it's mainly an economic thing rather than them being on bad terms. Don't know for sure, though.

Yikes, I replied to the blog there. Not to turn this into another dub thread, but I hope this doesn't become a trend!
Velius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Geneon has done lots of good quality work. They deserves it. I hope sales stay high for them. Last thing I would want to see is their quality drop due to budget.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that Geneon really does deserve this award. Keep up the hard work, guys. Complacency is the first step towards stagnation, be it market or otherwise.

Richard J. wrote:
They've certainly taken up a signifiant portion of my bank account.

Ain't that the truth? Over the last couple of years, the amount I've spent on them has tripled at least.

EmperorBrandon wrote:
I think it is more that Geneon is asking for lower and lower budgets on dubs, and thus New Generation Pictures just isn't doing any work because it would mean a drop in quality.

This isn't a good thing to hear at all. Seriously, I'd rather Geneon not lose NGP's services. I've always found their dubs to be good-very good, and in more than one case, just awesome.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:

This isn't a good thing to hear at all. Seriously, I'd rather Geneon not lose NGP's services. I've always found their dubs to be good-very good, and in more than one case, just awesome.

About that, Jonathan Klein mentioned the situation a little in RightStuf's Anime Today podcast and encouraged fans to try writing the companies a letter. It's something I may do myself, since I am concerned about Geneon cutting corners with dubs. I've known them to make some really good stuff in the past, particularly Hand Maid May, which is my favorite ever (done by Animaze, which for similar reasons to the current NGP situation, doesn't do much for Geneon anymore).

As far as Geneon goes, I'm really excited about the Rozen Maiden release and the box art looks nice. I'm thinking they will probably treat the series well. My spending with them has been limited in the past few years, but got all of the Sailor Moon, Tenchi, and Cardcaptor Sakura stuff from them back when they were Pioneer, and have generally been pleased with their releases.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised that Geneon was praised for "driving catalog sales". It seems like every other month at my local Suncoast there is either a BOGO on Geneon titles or, just recently, a $10 off select Geneon titles. Plus, at the monent, they are releasing more titles I'm collecting than the other companies.

Congrats Geneon!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1