• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin Sequel Image Previews Juppongatana

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
This keeps getting better and better Shocked
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there a giant?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Wasn't there a giant?

Iwanbo, played by Takao Yamada, who (I think) is the second man from the left. They may be toning down his size to fit the more "believable" feel they're going for in the movie (for the sake of their own budget if nothing else).
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:
Wasn't there a giant?

Iwanbo, played by Takao Yamada, who (I think) is the second man from the left. They may be toning down his size to fit the more "believable" feel they're going for in the movie (for the sake of their own budget if nothing else).

I think he was talking about Fuji...but yeah, for a little bit of realism, they'll probably make him a tall character but nothing that surpasses buildings.
TheMagickHat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Still need to see the first movie, but this is looking very good! Shocked
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Their Yahiko's not bad, but he needs to come off a little less tense.
E.G.K

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Loved the first film, hoping the 2nd will be as good if not better. The Kyoto arc is huge though, and with the 10 swords included it would be very impressive if they crew manages to cover everything in a film of maybe 2 hours long.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
megalodontus wrote:
...manages to cover everything in a film of maybe 2 hours long.

You don't seem to understand how movie adaptations work... they're not going to cover everything. If they did, it would be a very bad movie.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Didn't they say this is going to be a trilogy?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Freakmasta wrote:
Didn't they say this is going to be a trilogy?

There's two new movies coming up: Rurouni Kenshin: The Kyoto Conflagration and Rurouni Kenshin: The End of a Legend. Both cover the Kyoto arc of the manga. So they will actually have over 4 hours* for that stretch of the manga, and while it won't cover everything, it will be able to cover a lot of it, including introducing Shinomori Aoshi, who wasn't in the first film. Given the titles, I'm guessing the first of the two will end around the point where spoiler[Kenshin foils Shishio's plan to use steal-plated ships to attack Tokyo]. That would definitely work as a climax and involved a lot of fire in Kyoto.

Hopefully if these two films do well, we'll see at least one more movie to cover the final arc with Enishi. And by "do well" I don't just mean financially, I mean stay up to the same level of quality as the first one, which, while not a masterpiece, was still a really good adaptation.

*The first movie was 2 hours, 10 minutes (not counting credits), so it'll probably be at least two hours per movie.
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
They're probably going to cover a good amount of the Juppongatana in the first movie, ending with Sojiro Seta as the final antangonist, and the second movie will cover the rest with Makoto Shishio as the last boss.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Little_Hawk wrote:
They're probably going to cover a good amount of the Juppongatana in the first movie, ending with Sojiro Seta as the final antangonist, and the second movie will cover the rest with Makoto Shishio as the last boss.

If they cram all the plot into the first movie (introducing Aoshi, Kenshin's backstory with his teacher, his training in the final technique, Sojiro's backstory, all the new villains), and final movie is just everyone fighting Shishio for two hours, that will be all kinds of awful, so I sincerely hope you're wrong. I'd rather have what I think of as the Long Hallway be the final movie (with the four different showdowns with different villains introduced in the first movie, revealing their histories etc.), and have the confrontation with Shishio be the Big Finale in the final act.
The Mask

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:14 am Reply with quote
The first film was good, so I'm really excited for the second film. And hopefully, it will also get a local screening in our place, just like the first film.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
As much as I love the Kyoto arc, I'm kinda getting sick of it so I really hope these two movies pave the way for the Tenchu arc, which is still my favorite. The characters in the picture seem to be:

Left Side(front to back):
Houji
Iwanbo
Usui
Henya
Fuji

Right Side(front to back)
Soujiro
Chou
Anji
Saizuchi
Kamatari
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1