• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Buddy Complex Blu-ray to Have English Subtitles in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
whoa, really. I guess Sunrise is tempting us American fans to import it. That or the English subtitle is there to help Japanese that are studying English.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking this is gonna be the next FUNimation simulcast.

BV is gonna try a "import first, domestic release later" approach with this like with Arise. At least, that's my gut feeling.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I'm thinking this is gonna be the next FUNimation simulcast.

Strong possibility, and it wouldn't surprise me if Funimation pick this up for simulcast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
That or the English subtitle is there to help Japanese that are studying English.

You really think they care about that? Laughing
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
This seems a like a "Funimation" pickup so I don't see why not, I think the show is good so far so its good that he bluray has those features.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
Interesting, one step further into dub territory. I hope it makes it there.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

I hope you're not talking about Japanese companies arranging for eng dubs to be created...

There's a very significant cost difference between subbing a few episodes, and dubbing a few episodes. Not to mention they'd probably charge more, for a dub the Japanese won't even watch. I don't think they'd be happy about that. So far subs have not added to the price tag, and it probably won't in the future either, so JP otaku as a whole don't care.

I think we should just be glad that they're creating subtitles for the JP releases, i'm quite excited about this becoming more & more common Very Happy!

Take a look at the R1 company NISA. They have some really great packaging & extras with their releases, extras you usually have to shell out 100$+ for. However, by not creating a dub they're able to profit from 59.99$ price tags, the same prices other R1 companies charge for their barebones releases that include dubs. Well, it's not like they charge less for their dub-less releases anyway Rolling Eyes.

Can't say I care for eng dubs much either, JP VAs are in general much more skilled at their work.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
That or the English subtitle is there to help Japanese that are studying English.

You really think they care about that? Laughing

I recalled on Mania.com forum that talked about English dub (the forum is down for maintanence) on anime. I remember reading it that Chris Ayres has said at a anime con that English dub of anime has been used to help Japanese children and student that studied English in Japan. So yeah, I guess it can come in handy for Japanese student that studied English.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

I hope you're not talking about Japanese companies arranging for eng dubs to be created...

There's a very significant cost difference between subbing a few episodes, and dubbing a few episodes. Not to mention they'd probably charge more, for a dub the Japanese won't even watch. I don't think they'd be happy about that. So far subs have not added to the price tag, and it probably won't in the future either, so JP otaku as a whole don't care.

I think we should just be glad that they're creating subtitles for the JP releases, i'm quite excited about this becoming more & more common Very Happy!

Take a look at the R1 company NISA. They have some really great packaging & extras with their releases, extras you usually have to shell out 100$+ for. However, by not creating a dub they're able to profit from 59.99$ price tags, the same prices other R1 companies charge for their barebones releases that include dubs. Well, it's not like they charge less for their dub-less releases anyway Rolling Eyes.

Can't say I care for eng dubs much either, JP VAs are in general much more skilled at their work.

We get it, you don't give a shit about dubs. Do you have to repeat this shit EVERY SINGLE DAY? Your thought process is the same every [expletive] day. You don't like dubs, so you don't care to watch them. You hate Funimation's packaging and bear bones releases. You hate Sentai's packaging/barebones releases. Stop whining. Also, just because JP VAs are generally better, it does not mean VAs from the States are bad or anything. It's not like you're an English speaker natively(you said so yourself) so why does it matter anyway? Count your blessings you do not live in Hong Kong, because dubs(English, Cantonese are good) here per capita are much, much, much, much, much, MUCH worse. Sad

spoiler[When it comes to English dubbing on average, let's just say that it shows our Chinese side. The side that we try to not emphasize and not in a good way.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1