• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amagi Brilliant Park Novels Gets Anime by Kyoto Animation

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh, could this be the one Yasahiro Takemoto could be working on?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
What I find most interesting is that this is apparently not something on KyoAnis own label, so it opens up the possibility of going back to other companies properties that many of us thought wasn't possible.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Well the closest thing to FMP so far. I look forward to it Smile
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
Sounds kind of unique! Also glad KyoAni isn't just animating their own stuff. It's been pretty boring...
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Kyoto Animation huh? Awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
I just want to see Bonta-kun and I'll be totally satisfied.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
I foresee a huge mob of people getting irrationally worked up because Kyoto Animation is adapting a light novel by the Full Metal Panic author that IS NOT Full Metal Panic. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see that KyoAni isn't just going with their own properties. Maybe Nagato Yuki-chan is by them as well... maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
I foresee a huge mob of people getting irrationally worked up because Kyoto Animation is adapting a light novel by the Full Metal Panic author that IS NOT Full Metal Panic. Laughing

*sheepishly raises hand*

But I'm actually really excited for this at the same time. I haven't really read it since my Japanese is terrible, but I've got what's been released so far, and Isuzu is just such a cutie~!

I was hoping it would get an adaptation, though I was expecting it when there's only 3 novels for it so far. I know FMP's first season was 3 books, but it also had 4 anime-exclusive episodes and a few side story filler eps. 12 ep season, I guess?
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
The moe crowd is going to hype the shit out of this aren't they? Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
Doesn't sound particularly interesting or original and the cover art looks quite generic. I've enjoyed most recent KyoAni works, so I'll keep an eye on this, but for now I'm not really interested
GW-9800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
...We're never gonna get more FMP, are we? Rolling Eyes
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
GW-9800 wrote:
...We're never gonna get more FMP, are we? Rolling Eyes

No, we're getting new anime by the same author. Now quit bitching.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Doesn't sound particularly interesting or original and the cover art looks quite generic. I've enjoyed most recent KyoAni works, so I'll keep an eye on this, but for now I'm not really interested

I wouldn't count them out just yet. I found this translated afterword in that "fansub forum everyone knows about" which actually peaked my interest in the title:

Quote:
This is something that happened 5 years ago:

Normally I have no interest in Amusement Parks. But once I went with other people to a famous mainstream Amusement park (TL: probably Disney.).
I I saw some kids playing with a theme-park Mascot, and suddenly thought "Wouldn't it be interesting, if that Donald Duck employee actually HATE kids?"
Like, what if he doesn't like children, but still force a smile in order to get his paycheck. And then after work he goes to the local pub and complain to fellow co-workers?

When I thought about it, I start to feel empathetic towards these mascots. And that when I see them on TV commercials, I would think about “wow, these guys must have a tough life”.
As a macho kind of guy with unusual tastes, the mainstream themeparks are just boring to me. So that’s why I would end up with dark thoughts about the place. It’s like in class, but suddenly fantasising about “Suddenly Terrorists appeared and took over the school!”, and such thoughts to avoid reality.
But it is these kinds of reality-avoidance that gets me interesting ideas sometimes.
From that time onwards the “Mascot that hate kids” just wouldn’t leave my mind. Paradoxically, that kind of character had NOT actually appeared in this book. Regardless that was why the idea of a “bad theme park” came about all those years ago.

Being an author for 18 years now, I am no stranger to struggles and pain while attempting to make a living trying to entertain people. But there had been happy memories too. I understand both the feeling of those, whose works failed to reach sales targets[1], and the hardships endured by others whose works became blockbuster hits[2]. One could probably say this is the same with any industry. Those Mascots who force a smile and play with the kids every day, would have their own tears and joyful moments...

And this is the central theme of the novel.

Looking back on my body of work, I realise most of it had military themes, dramatic action, and broad setting. But maybe I could try this, something a bit different, this time? That’s how it all began. Even though there had been many failed experiments, this hopefully could come together.. right? Right? (Gatoh own note: Actually it is still a mess IMO).
This first volume is one long story that had a fixed time limit. I think the 2nd volume onwards should be on how these horrible theme park employees spend their chaotic daily lives.
This isn’t that serious a story, I want to write something relaxing that you can read on the way to work.
Only after finishing this volume, did I realise the style was closest to my Debut novel. If I was to write some comedic side stories, I might do a cross-over and bring in the protagonist from that book.

When writing this story, I did some research and interviewed a certain person involved with Disneyland. Because I heard many stories that should never have been revealed from him, I can’t reveal his name. But he supplied many important pieces of info, and for that I am thankful.
Unfortunately this volume didn’t really reflex fully the secrets you revealed, so next volume I would definitely make sure your aid is not in vain.
The in-story mascot character’s mean words on world class theme parks, was suppose to reflect his ignorance of how much hard work is needed to be world-class. I wanted to portray that kind of contrast.
As for the 2ndary main character Mofuru (Sp?), I ended up borrowing Bonta-kun of FMP. I just couldn’t separate the two characters in my head, so I had the idea of just using Bonta-kun directly. I thank Shiki Douji for giving his approval.

Also, special thanks to the illustrator for all the trouble I caused. Despite difficulty, many attractive characters were created, and I thank you. But the deadline for the next volume is tight as well, so we would have to work just as hard once again.

Finally, to the Fujimishobo editor, and the ceo, thank you. I am so very sorry for repeatedly asking for deadline extensions. I will do better next time.
Please, do continue to take good care of me in the future.

2013 Jan, Shoji Gatoh.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
Was just talking with my friends about our hopes for a FMP4. So now Kyoto-Ani takes the Houka taunt one step more, rather than screen plays, it's are new project.

Well i like the author but still, wtb FMP4
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3