• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why did it take so long for the "why is anime so gay?" topic to be locked?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
As the title says. It was started by an obvious troll who clearly had nothing of value to say on the subject and was just looking to be homophobic and insulting. I can appreciate the mods wanting to give it a chance, as homosexuality in anime is a legitimate discussion subject. However, I feel no real attempt to turn it into a serious discussion was made, and that the thread was left open for far too long after the OP had been warned to change his behaviour. Especially considering that the title of the thread was not changed to something like "homosexuality in anime". Lastly, another topic opened by the same user just to promote a YouTube video of his was also locked very quickly. As far as I understand this, and do correct me if I'm wrong (from a post in the community forum) it took someone having to PM Zac to actually get the thing locked, despite just about every post by the user being reported. The parody "why is anime so straight?" topic was also locked almost instantly, which is ridiculous considering how much more offensive the gay topic is and that the OP for the gay topic was being opening insulting and derisive of gay people.

I hope that should such a similar type of trolling come up again in the future, it will be dealt with much more promptly. I hope also that the person who started it has been banned, or at least post moderated.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree completely with st_owly's sentiment. If this is what goes on in the Talkback forum, then I'm glad that I stay away.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Key probably forgot to click the "Lock" icon is all. He does that sometimes, and so do I.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least it's been deleted now (THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU). However, Key did specifically say that he would allow the thread to continue as long as it wasn't in a bigoted fashion (which begs the question of what the reasoning behind allowing the thread title to continue unchanged was).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh.. guess he was just being too nice, then Shocked.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
He made a judgement call and it was an unpopular one. He's only human and it happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
He made a judgement call and it was an unpopular one. He's only human and it happens.

I cry bs at this. Don't try and sell me a load of bollocks and try and hide the truth. The nerve trying to say that key is human. Theron is really an android robot girl in disguise and we all know it!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

I cry bs at this. Don't try and sell me a load of bollocks and try and hide the truth. The nerve trying to say that key is human. Theron is really an android robot girl in disguise and we all know it!

+1 Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Well, at least it's been deleted now (THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU). However, Key did specifically say that he would allow the thread to continue as long as it wasn't in a bigoted fashion (which begs the question of what the reasoning behind allowing the thread title to continue unchanged was).

After reading this post Shocked , I would like to ask Key myself: What were you thinking when you said that, and why??? Key, if you're reading this, you better explain yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, you shouldn't be challenging the mods as being bigoted, of all people.

I was the one who originally reported the thread. I did so after reading the posters initial post and seeing how hate filled it was. I didn't expect it to be locked immediately, since this is ANN and these things do take time. But I was surprised when I went back and saw that most posters were trying to use the thread to maybe... inform... the original poster in his closed-mindedness. It was actually kind of better than I imagined it could possibly have become....

It was still caused by an idiots initial post, but the posters here tried to make it into something better. And I think this is why Key didn't immediately close it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, my post wasn't an attack on Key, but to question and curiousity on why Key made that decision to leave it open initially then close it when this that topic in question violated ANN rules.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was obvious. Key gave the poster too much credit because he saw worth in the core question. If it weren't so hatefully stated the question of the prominent presence of characters that are attracted to the same gender, even in mainstream fare, is an interesting one that could be worthy of discussion.

That guy may even have had a small amount of actual interest in hearing an explanation... but was mostly being a bigoted troll using "gay" as a generic homophobic insult.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1