• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buy Blu-ray and/or DVD?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you buy Blu-ray and/or DVD?
I buy only Blu-ray releases
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
I prefer Blu-ray but also buy what is only available on DVD
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
I buy only DVD but plan to upgrade to Blu-ray
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
I buy only DVD releases
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Other (please explain in the comments)
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 40

OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I've had a blu-ray player since March of 2010, and I buy new stuff on BD if available whenever possible. I usually don't double-dip for stuff I already have on DVD unless there's another benefit (for example, my Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise BD has tremendously improved video over my DVD; the new Toradora! Premium release gets me premium packaging and a dub). With many anime titles, the difference in picture quality is just not that much, certainly not like the difference between VHS and DVD.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I have a PS3, but while I can play games in whatever def I want to, it refuses to play Blurays in anything other than 720 or above. ... ... , but I'm think that's all bluray players).

My Toshiba Blu-ray player has a composite video output that connects to a standard TV at 480i. I think that the AV MULTI OUT on the PS3 has a composite video output.

I just noticed that the Toshiba manual says that if the HDMI cable is connected the resolution cannot be set lower than 720p. Maybe the PS3 is the same. Do you have the HDMI cable connected to the PS3 when you try to use the other output?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
I voted "Other." I've had a BD player for a few years now and if there isn't a huge difference in price between a BD and a DVD release, I'll generally go BD. If the show is a comedy where visuals aren't really that important, I'm happy to go DVD to save a couple of bucks.

I'd love to get AoA's Fate/Zero BD sets, but the difference in price between them and the DVD sets is so huge, I can't justify it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
To me, the show is the most important element in the decision. If it is something I want and it is only available in DVD format that is how I will buy it. Saying "no Blu-ray, no buy" is to my mind just self-defeating. That said, if a new show is available in both formats I will buy Blu-ray. I haven't found the price differential enough to be a deterrent.

Where decisions get more difficult is when I already own the show in question. Apparently when the first Blu-rays of existing shows came out there were some problems with the upscale process. Fortunately that seems to be mostly past now. Most of the current complaints about Blu-rays now seem to be the usual nit picks from people who would complain if you hung them with new rope.

For older shows like Patlabor TV or Ranma 1/2 TV the difference between the old DVDs and the new Blu-ray is just remarkable. Current shows also benefit from the better version. I gather that there are a lot of shows in the middle where an upgrade is questionable for technical reasons.

I will say that when I find myself reluctant to double dip for a Blu-ray version of a show, it makes me question even keeping the show in my collection.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
I have a PS3, but while I can play games in whatever def I want to, it refuses to play Blurays in anything other than 720 or above. ... ... , but I'm think that's all bluray players).

My Toshiba Blu-ray player has a composite video output that connects to a standard TV at 480i. I think that the AV MULTI OUT on the PS3 has a composite video output.

I just noticed that the Toshiba manual says that if the HDMI cable is connected the resolution cannot be set lower than 720p. Maybe the PS3 is the same. Do you have the HDMI cable connected to the PS3 when you try to use the other output?

My TV is too old to even have an HDMI slot, so of course it's not connected. I did try an RGB-HDMI cord, but that didn't work either. It just won't play blurays, period. I questioned why it could play bluray based game discs, but it's because they don't demand 720+ output.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Touma wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

My TV is too old to even have an HDMI slot, so of course it's not connected. I did try an RGB-HDMI cord, but that didn't work either. It just won't play blurays, period. I questioned why it could play bluray based game discs, but it's because they don't demand 720+ output.

It may have to do with HDCP. If I recall correctly copyright protected BDs on PS3 and some BD players will only output to 1080 and you need an HDMI cable and HDCP compliant hardware. Otherwise you get nothing or in the case of my family who had a HD capable projector, but with no HDCP (it was old) the video was downgraded to 480i. Thanks for nothing Sony.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2