• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Live! 2nd Season Blu-ray Listed with English Subs in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hojo 360

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
Not shocking seems there doing this more and more but it's such a wast to import 3 or 2 eps for like 68$ if your lucky:P
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Not shocking seems there doing this more and more but it's such a wast to import 3 or 2 eps for like 68$ if your lucky:P

That's just like, your opinion, man.

Believe it or not, but some people do not look as episodes as the only thing of value when buying anime BDs. Shocking, i know Shocked.

In JP releases you get a lot of extras, which are usually quite attractive. It can be slews of on-disc extras such as VA commentaries along with things like an art box illustrated by the original illustrator for the series, and perhaps a booklet with interviews, character info & art work from key animators. And let's not forget how quickly the Japanese release their DVDs/BDs, no need to wait ~16 months for a release. Once so much time has passed my interest to buy a series is usually long gone anyways. And since the Japanese does volume releases you'll be getting new cool stuff with each and every volume Very Happy.

So, outside of the ~2 episodes you'll get a ton of stuff that does not only have great collector's value, but is also amazing for people who are hardcore fans of a show Smile.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
but are those extras subtitled?
razisgosu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Exactly this. They very rarely are, so those extra commentaries are worthless to those of us who cant understand Japanese.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
getchman wrote:

Exactly this. They very rarely are, so those extra commentaries are worthless to those of us who can't understand Japanese.

I agree. Unsubtitled extras are pretty much worthless for people who do not understand Japanese. The problem is that some fans over here are delusional and do not see anything weird with buying stuff they CANNOT understand. Furthermore, some of these importers think that they are so much better than people who like to buy R1 releases.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
Is supporting the industry such an odd thing in the anime fandom?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
it's not odd, but I like to be able to understand what I'm watching. so if the cast interviews and such aren't subtitled, then what's the point of importing something I cant understand?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

Buying something you cannot understand is weird to me. Buying something you can understand is reasonable to me.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
The only time I've done so is with Sakura Trick and I knew ahead of time that the show wasn't exactly going to have a stellar showing; my only other imports are the Madoka movies, which I explicitly chose to buy American for the sake of the translation booklet.

At any rate, what's not subbed on the Japanese release most likely isn't going to be there at all on the eventual American release, so it's not like you're missing anything besides NISA's quires(which don't always add much of anything). It's ultimately a bit like buying a new Ferrari versus a used one - you can get it sooner or cheaper.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

At any rate, what's not subbed on the Japanese release most likely isn't going to be there at all on the eventual American release,

which I'm fine with. I don't need extras, just the show
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

You gotta ask? Laughing

angelmcazares wrote:
Buying something you cannot understand is weird to me. Buying something you can understand is reasonable to me.

Buying anime is for collectors. If all you care about is watching it there's fansubs and streams, just like in Japan they can just watch it on TV or DVR it. I import the Japanese Fairy Tail DVDs despite having access to the subs online because I'm a Fairy Tail nut and want to collect everything and also support it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Buying anime is for collectors. If all you care about is watching it there's fansubs and streams, just like in Japan they can just watch it on TV or DVR it. I import the Japanese Fairy Tail DVDs despite having access to the subs online because I'm a Fairy Tail nut and want to collect everything and also support it.

Do not twist my words. I support the N.A. anime industry by buying 3-4 of its disc releases per month. I occasionally buy Japanese releases if the episodes are at least subtitled (with the exception of the, original, 1974 Space Battleship Yamato).

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Polycell wrote:

At any rate, what's not subbed on the Japanese release most likely isn't going to be there at all on the eventual American release,

which I'm fine with. I don't need extras, just the show
Which is subtitled in this case and available for more immediate ownership if you're willing to pay the price. Are you willing to pay $400+ now or will you wait until later to pay only around $50? It's a personal decision.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm an extremely patient individual, so waiting for NISA to, hopefully, license and release the show is no problem. I also don't have $400+ to spare right now or anytime soon
hojo 360

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:

That's just like, your opinion, man.

Believe it or not, but some people do not look as episodes as the only thing of value when buying anime BDs. Shocking, i know Shocked.

In JP releases you get a lot of extras, which are usually quite attractive. It can be slews of on-disc extras such as VA commentaries along with things like an art box illustrated by the original illustrator for the series, and perhaps a booklet with interviews, character info & art work from key animators. And let's not forget how quickly the Japanese release their DVDs/BDs, no need to wait ~16 months for a release. Once so much time has passed my interest to buy a series is usually long gone anyways. And since the Japanese does volume releases you'll be getting new cool stuff with each and every volume Very Happy.

So, outside of the ~2 episodes you'll get a ton of stuff that does not only have great collector's value, but is also amazing for people who are hardcore fans of a show Smile.
Yea and you sir are preaching to the choir. Sure you get all the nice extras that most times don't make the NA or EU release but to me at least it dose not justify a buy when i can wait a year or 2 and buy a box set with a dub and uncut for 30 or 50$ less in the past i did import a lot {back when anime was on it's death bed in NA} but in the time we are in now i just don't see a point to shell out that sort of cash and yea your right it's my opinion Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2