• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Cavalry Call

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Man, those trailers for Child of Light look really captivating! I'm still questioning whether to buy it right away when it comes out or wait for reviews.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Rudora no Hiho, such a cool game, shame that the combat system wasn't quite up to par. Making your own spell sounds cool in theory, but when the system is poorly explain you end up just smashing random letter together till you get something that sorta work. The story was interesting and it looked really good. Would love a remake with a better explained magic system.

Will definitely buy child of light, it seems like japan decided to stop making JRPG that weren't on cellphone/mobile, so might as well have occident pick up the slack. Can you believe JRPG used to be one of the biggest genre in video game? Now SE is happy that bravely default didn't even break the one million unit sold worldwide. This console generation was truly the downfall for this genre, both in quality and commercial success. With FFX re-release destroying FF13-3 in sales, hopefully square will realize they need to do some major change… or not they'll probably just keep re-releasing older game till the end of time.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Hey, if Firehazard can't get Peter Cullen, they can always go for cheap internet appeal and hire Dr. Smoov.

Nah, better fork over the money for Cullen.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
If they can get Peter Cullen AND Rob Paulsen on the project, heck yeah I'll contribute. Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and the news that Suikoden II might finally arrive on the PLAYSTATION Network over here

I certainly hope this happens. It's only fair to the people who never got a chance to play the game and obviously shouldn't have to pay $150 online for a copy of what is the best written Suikoden entry in the series (despite the embarrassing translation work in the second half of the game, a sad similarity it shares with the first one, as well as the audio glitch; yeah the U.S. version was clearly rushed during its localization).

The Endlessly Annoying JRPG/WRPG Debate: I find the divided debate about what constitutes either/or to be quite laughable at this stage. I'm glad I've always stayed out of these discussions. While these nerds, who delude themselves into thinking they are so-called "experts" on the differences between the terms "JRPG" and "WRPG", are busy wasting energy arguing about why "anime style RPGs are a genre within a genre" (I'm seriously not making this up), I'll happily be playing those games they so despise. People just can't learn to enjoy things without stirring up some kind of idiot storm I suppose.

Quote:
To this day, you'll see nerds use “Japanese storytelling” as shorthand for the clichés and melodrama of video games, as though the nation's literary methods go no further than Atelier Iris 3.

Typical stupid and ignorant nerds. Atelier Iris 3 is just too beyond them I guess (really, the game's story is not that melodramatic); that, and the likely fact they never played it and are just naming a random example off the top of their heads.

Interview: Saber Rider Revived: I feel rather sad that I never saw this show at all when it was apparently airing all that time ago. As such, I know next to nothing about its popularity.

Kirby Triple Deluxe: Can't wait for this one. Pre-ordered it last week and looking forward to Kirby's new powers. It'll tide me over until the release of the new Godzilla movie. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

The Endlessly Annoying JRPG/WRPG Debate: I find the divided debate about what constitutes either/or to be quite laughable at this stage. I'm glad I've always stayed out of these discussions. While these nerds, who delude themselves into thinking they are so-called "experts" on the differences between the terms "JRPG" and "WRPG", are busy wasting energy arguing about why "anime style RPGs are a genre within a genre" (I'm seriously not making this up), I'll happily be playing those games they so despise. People just can't learn to enjoy things without stirring up some kind of idiot storm I suppose.

Heh, I was playing RPG even before there was anything that could be called J-RPG or W-RPG. Laughing
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty, the term "JRPG" comes off as borderline xenophobic at times. Like if people label it as a JRPG then they're able separate it from stuff like Baldur's Gate or Ultima, thus making JRPG's not REAL RPGs. It's a bit disgusting and I'd wish people would just drop the term already.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see the problem or why people need to rock the boat. Jrpgs are Japanese RPGs. It's as simple as that and should be left at that.

I can't help if people decide to add negative connotations to the term jrpg. Not my problem. Despite how vast and wide the genre is, when you say JRPG to describe a game, I have a better idea of what kind of game I'm getting into. Same goes if you call something a wrpg. Little strange exceptions like Child of Light don't change that fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Heh, I was playing RPG even before there was anything that could be called J-RPG or W-RPG. Laughing

Nice. You've always stood outside and above this nonsense like a boss. : D

AiddonValentine wrote:
In all honesty, the term "JRPG" comes off as borderline xenophobic at times. Like if people label it as a JRPG then they're able separate it from stuff like Baldur's Gate or Ultima, thus making JRPG's not REAL RPGs. It's a bit disgusting and I'd wish people would just drop the term already.

Wow, anyone who says that obviously has a vacuous void where their brain should be.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
I don't really see the problem or why people need to rock the boat. Jrpgs are Japanese RPGs. It's as simple as that and should be left at that.

It's just the general foolishness of man to rock the boat. You know how human nature is, always wanting to stir things up when all is peaceful and calm.
Jave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
The Endlessly Annoying JRPG/WRPG Debate: I find the divided debate about what constitutes either/or to be quite laughable at this stage. I'm glad I've always stayed out of these discussions. While these nerds, who delude themselves into thinking they are so-called "experts" on the differences between the terms "JRPG" and "WRPG", are busy wasting energy arguing about why "anime style RPGs are a genre within a genre" (I'm seriously not making this up), I'll happily be playing those games they so despise. People just can't learn to enjoy things without stirring up some kind of idiot storm I suppose

Japanese RPGs are from Japan. Western RPGs are from the west. Seems pretty self explanatory to me Laughing What's hard for people to get?

Quote:
Typical stupid and ignorant nerds. Atelier Iris 3 is just too beyond them I guess (really, the game's story is not that melodramatic); that, and the likely fact they never played it and are just naming a random example off the top of their heads.

The Atelier series is one of my favorite Laughing It's so somber and laid back it's unlike most other RPGs. I'm having a blast in Escha and Logy which is mainly about adjusting to your new life in a small town and building up friendships with your co-workers. Very laid back and comfy. I just sit in the Atelier all day making Apple Pies and stacks of Pancakes and fulfilling requests of the townspeople who need me to make them stuff. Oh sure, there's some business about mysterious floating ruins, but the journey to explore them is fun in itself of trying to prove your small little village is capable of doing it on its own. Very low-stakes game which is the charm of it. Comfy comfy!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

Japanese RPGs are from Japan. Western RPGs are from the west. Seems pretty self explanatory to me What's hard for people to get?

Oh, we get it. And it's freaking STUPID. As noted, the term didn't even really start popping up until a little less than a decade ago. And why did it pop up in the first place? Because we needed an indicator because people aren't smart to differentiate between Japanese and Western? No, if anything it was used solely as a pejorative in an effort to try and separate the West from the East for arbitrary reasons. I don't get WHY people suddenly because so xenophobic, but that's kinda what happened.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Japanese RPGs are from Japan. Western RPGs are from the west. Seems pretty self explanatory to me Laughing What's hard for people to get?

I honestly have no idea.

Quote:
The Atelier series is one of my favorite Laughing It's so somber and laid back it's unlike most other RPGs. I'm having a blast in Escha and Logy which is mainly about adjusting to your new life in a small town and building up friendships with your co-workers. Very laid back and comfy. I just sit in the Atelier all day making Apple Pies and stacks of Pancakes and fulfilling requests of the townspeople who need me to make them stuff. Oh sure, there's some business about mysterious floating ruins, but the journey to explore them is fun in itself of trying to prove your small little village is capable of doing it on its own. Very low-stakes game which is the charm of it. Comfy comfy!

I know what you mean. It's such a refreshing series (outside of the Iris and Khemia games which did have save the world plots, but at least required alchemy at certain intervals and were still fairly laid back in their approach) and it's just fun to play. You're not trying to save the world (granted I don't have a problem with save the world stories, the true charm is in the approach to that goal). Instead, you're trying to save your workshop from getting shut down (Rorona), making a living as an adventurer (Totori) or even expanding your own kingdom to prove you're not some spoiled princess (Meruru). The time management has always been the nifty part. Rorona's game is still the most difficult of the Arland trilogy, but I'm trying to wrap it up so I can move on to Totori.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Jave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Oh, we get it. And it's freaking STUPID. As noted, the term didn't even really start popping up until a little less than a decade ago. And why did it pop up in the first place? Because we needed an indicator because people aren't smart to differentiate between Japanese and Western? No, if anything it was used solely as a pejorative in an effort to try and separate the West from the East for arbitrary reasons. I don't get WHY people suddenly because so xenophobic, but that's kinda what happened.

Well up until the last decade western games weren't really a thing to most people. They were stuck on PCs like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. Once the Xbox and Xbox 360 came out western games were introduced to the console generation and development shifted primarily from PCs to consoles. So with the introduction of those games I guess people had to find a way to differentiate between them since they're pretty different so if you say you like RPGs you have to specify if you mean the Final Fantasy stuff or the Mass Effect stuff. Kinda like anime and cartoons where people specify which one they mean they like Laughing But yeah, there's definitely some hostilities there now I see from time to time, but I tend to avoid those for the most part. It might be the casual fans who probably never liked Japanese RPGs to begin with though who got into RPGs through Mass Effect and other big western titles.. 2007 was the big year gaming became mainstream and a bunch of new people got into it who maybe only play the mainstream stuff.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The term JRPG exists for the same reason any genre label exists: Because JRPGs are, generally speaking, fairly distinct from western RPGs. It's only a pejorative if you use it as such. It's no different than how some people treat "FPS" as an insult or try to use the term to dismiss an entire swath of games they dislike. But that's just idiotic. And the term itself is fine. Although, I will admit, it is perhaps becoming a bit of a dated term. With a lot of essentially "western" stuff like Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma coming out of Japan lately, we could certainly use a descriptor that captures that distinction between the more traditionally Japanese RPGs and the more traditionally western without actually designating a specific country of origin. Although, I'm not sure what that term would actually be.

Jave wrote:
But yeah, there's definitely some hostilities there now I see from time to time, but I tend to avoid those for the most part. It might be the casual fans who probably never liked Japanese RPGs to begin with though who got into RPGs through Mass Effect and other big western titles.. 2007 was the big year gaming became mainstream and a bunch of new people got into it who maybe only play the mainstream stuff.

"I tend to avoid the petty hostilities between JRPGs and WRPGs...but did I mention that a lot of WRPG fans are just filthy casuals who only play mainstream stuff?" Laughing
kameoosama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The term JRPG exists for the same reason any genre label exists: Because JRPGs are, generally speaking, fairly distinct from western RPGs. It's only a pejorative if you use it as such. With a lot of essentially "western" stuff like Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma coming out of Japan lately, we could certainly use a descriptor that captures that distinction between the more traditionally Japanese RPGs and the more traditionally western without actually designating a specific country of origin. Although, I'm not sure what that term would actually be.

This is a side effect of the weird disconnect where we try to do game genres based on mechanical differences instead of what we're trying to get out of them. As an Aside, I don't mind the term either, at least until someone coins a better one that sticks.

Speaking of Japanese-made "Western" RPGs, what's mind blowing is how western relatively plot-free dungeon crawling used to be and Japan has pretty much taken that over with games like Etrian Odyssey and weirdly enough Wizardry (Yes Japanese devlopers are making Wizardry games now.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3