• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Hell Chapter

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Another great anime game for Japan only...

*sigh*
Radrappy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing these games since SRW F for Sega Saturn but kind of flamed out on Alpha 3. It was great fun but at 75 missions was just too damn long. The SRW series has always suffered in that every iteration is practically identical. Seeing your positive review really makes me consider diving back in.

Question though: in previous installments, the ability to save during every turn really neutered the challenge as players would just restart from that turn until things played out the way they wanted them to. Has this ability been addressed/removed?
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:
I've been playing these games since SRW F for Sega Saturn but kind of flamed out on Alpha 3. It was great fun but at 75 missions was just too damn long. The SRW series has always suffered in that every iteration is practically identical. Seeing your positive review really makes me consider diving back in.

Question though: in previous installments, the ability to save during every turn really neutered the challenge as players would just restart from that turn until things played out the way they wanted them to. Has this ability been addressed/removed?

They decided to let quicksave roll over the years. In fact the controller command to instantly restart from your last quicksave has been changed to be half a second faster.

However, the compromise is that you can only quicksave during your own turn. You also can't save between attacks during the enemy turn in order to roll the dice over and over again until you don't take damage. Furthermore, the more a single unit is fired on in a single enemy turn, the more its evade drops for that turn. So that whole style of play has been completely put down.

You end up using quicksave to bookmark rather than fixing every single combat encounter. And you still wind up needing it, especially if you're playing in hard mode or for SR points.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I will, however, note that the original (as in not from any anime series) protagonist embodies-- surprisingly for this series-- all the worst excesses of the dreaded fanfic “Mary Sue” character. Stop me if you've heard this before: Hibiki Kamishiro is an aloof teen boy with a mysterious past and super glowing powers. He's constantly throwing himself into other people's big scenes, he knows everything (including jeet kune do), and he's definitely dating his homeroom teacher. My Japanese may not be good, but my God, did I read enough about this brat. I think the jeet kune do part was the final straw.

Hibiki's not really a mary sue. Mary Sues are perfect and can do no wrong, kinda like Kira Yamato and Lacus Clyne from the GSD anime.

Hibiki gets called out numerous times at being a god awful pilot. Sosuke even goes out to call his piloting "Second Rate" multiple times, on different occasions. He's skilled on foot but that goes hand and hand with being a hunter of Dimensional Beasts. And if I recall, he also gets called out on butting into things that don't involve him a few times too.

He starts off pretty loner-ish but develops rather nicely into a likable character.

Radrappy wrote:
I've been playing these games since SRW F for Sega Saturn but kind of flamed out on Alpha 3. It was great fun but at 75 missions was just too damn long.

The Z games have a fairly nice stage count. Around 60 each, with some games like Z2.1 and Special disk have somewhat lower stage count.

Besides, nothing will be as long and tedious as Impact.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or do the battle animations seem somehow lacking this time around? I don't know, it's like they just don't have the energy and the 'love' of Z2 or OG3.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Is Votoms represented? I blows my mind that there is a game series out there where Macross, Gundam, and Votoms are all represented.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Is Votoms represented? I blows my mind that there is a game series out there where Macross, Gundam, and Votoms are all represented.

Look at the bottom right you see the Votom unit right there. I have played both of the SRW OG titles on the GBA they released in America, for the love of god why they never released any of the other OG titles I will never know, I also got SRW Z2 Saisei Hen which was the previous game to this one and I absolutely loved it. Also we will never get any of the SRW series in the West besides possibly another OG because copyright issues it would cost a fortune in copyright and Harmony Gold especially would charge out the ass for Macross characters because they are just not-so-nice-people like that.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
The review is pretty accurate I have to say. If anyone is even casually into mecha, the SRW franchise is pure bliss.

Though in defence of some of the gameplay, it is fairly refreshing to know that the available skills each pilot can obtain is a steady factor. It would be nice to see innovation, but if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Crossovers are carried by their rosters and how well they are blended together. Something the SRW franchise consistently does well.

Also OG games always look better than the games containing expensive licensed characters and voice actors (of vary pay grade!). They have fewer machines to animate with more budget.

I'm just glad to see SRW back on home consoles.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Yes it does. I upgraded the hell out of the Scopedog in this game. Its got long range with good accuracy and amazing dodge. The only thing it lacks is high HP(even with armor I applied) but most enemy units have a hard time hitting it. I also like how you can change its mode based on terrain, like the Roundmover mode for space.

It seems like most mecha are in SRW games. Its impressive. Even some battle suit mecha like Tekkaman Blade! Cool Even the goofy mecha like Keroro Robo MK II & Bonta-kun.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
Here's what I want to know: how do people defeat the language barrier? Trail and error until you figure out what the menus do? Are there guides that explain the basics for people who can't read Japanese?

As for the review, I played the Original Generation games that miraculously game out in English on the Gameboy Advance and it's dead on with the appeal. This game being a who's who of awesome mecha seals the deal. This has Gunbuster and Gurren Lagann in the same game. Gundam 00 and Macross Frontier are together. Gundam Unicorn people team up with Amuro Ray and Kamille...I mean, good lord. Big O is there (check out the "Final Stage" attack, it rocks), Mazinger Z and Shin Getter Robo represent. Who wouldn't like this?

If there's any SRW game I import at last, it'll be this one.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
Mostly just memorization. Being relatively conversant in Katakana will help a lot to.

But the menus haven't changed that much over the years. If you played OG1/OG2 on the GBA, then you alraedy know the basics of how it works.
stopsigmx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
If you've played the OG games already all you need now is http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars.
stopsigmx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote
Did my post vanish? Anyway all you need is http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars. Also starting with Z1 might be a good idea.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Here's what I want to know: how do people defeat the language barrier? Trail and error until you figure out what the menus do? Are there guides that explain the basics for people who can't read Japanese?

Yes there are guides out there you can find to help you figure out what needs to be done on a certain stage. I remember one mission on Z2 Saisei-Hen required me to move three specific characters to these three squares. Unless you read Japanese it would be hard to figure out what is required and who needs to survive and who can die. The gameplay though the menus specifically have not changed really at all so if have played past games you have a good understanding of what is what.
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

Yes and yes. Apart from memorizing the menus being super easy, there's also guides that tell you what the different seishins mean. Also, the attack screen has enough to it that you can figure out what each attack does easily. I can't read a lick of Japanese, but I can tell you what each seishin does.

As for the plots, a fellow by the name of MNeidengard does these "1.5 steps removed from a full translation" guides that you can get. Essentially, they're in-depth summary guides and can be found of GameFAQs for a number of the games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1