• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Penguindrum Voice Actor Illich Guardiola Arrested in Texas

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
Difficult one for me obviously no 41 year old should be sleeping with a 16 year old. Though it's legal in my country (if he wasn't her teacher) it would be very creepy.

The biggest problem is that he is a teacher at the school where she is a student which is a abuse of trust.

Don't know what the hell her mother was thinking though.

Last edited by Escaflowne2001 on Sat May 10, 2014 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Guardiola traveled to Las Vegas two weeks earlier and married his 16-year-old student in the presence of her mother.

And her mother didn't stop them!? I wonder what she has to say about this.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
I've listened to him voice characters in many of my favorite shows for the past 10+ years.

One thing, I'm unclear about is the marriage. Many states, including Nevada (where he was arrested) and Texas (where I think he lives?), allow children to marry at 16 if their legal guardian consents to it. The article states that the girl's mother was present when they got married. So was he arrested even though the marriage was legal? Or was the proper paperwork not filed and so the marriage was not legal? Or, not to be vulgar, but are you allowed to marry but not consummate the marriage with a minor?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:22 am Reply with quote
It depends on the age of consent in the area, doesn't it? I'm not familiar with what it is in the states, but in Ontario 16 is legal. Although sometimes that doesn't matter. People will fly off the handle if the girl is under 18 on general principle without even considering what the actual laws say.

If the mother approved of the relationship, I'm not about to condemn it in that regard. There's still the obvious ethical issues with him being her teacher, though.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
If he was forcing things, or it was more one-sided interest than mutual, I'd say it is indeed wrong, however if she wanted it too, then society is jumping its guns again at the wrong target.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
"A drama teacher at the Houston Family Arts Center who married one of his teenage students was arrested Thursday, and authorities suspect there may be other victims." - KHOU
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
Whelp. This is horrifying.

Plus.. as if anime fandom didn't already have a stigma of being creepers about them. Though I guess there's always some bad apples who prove the stereotype.

Plus I looked some of his characters from series I recognized and found this image from Air Gear. He played a creepy older character who had a teenage girl he seduced always by his side. Whoo boy.

I actually heard this on the radio this morning. They mentioned Appleseed Deus Ex Machina by name and played a clip of him in it. Weird. My ears perked up when I heard the title and immediately thought, Uh-oh.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
Well, this sort of news came out of nowhere. Neutral
Unless the acting's already done, it looks like Sentai will have to find a new seiyuu to play as Keno.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
This is very unsettling, especially if it turns out there were indeed others involved. And as a teacher? Oh boy...

Is it wrong of me that I immediately remembered that he did the voice of Shuichi Kuze in ef: A Tale of Melodies? If you've seen that show, you know exactly why I'm frightened about the symmetry of the previous sentence.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
It's funny to see how aggressive everyone is against the guy without even knowing any details.
Then how about you start badmouthing the mother instead, if you want to blame anyone?
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
Enh. In civilized countries the age of consent is 16. Unless the guy forced anyone into sex, this just America being a backward conservative country. (See also: Drinking age.)
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
The age of consent might be 16 in my country, but abuse of trust is still a crime. Any one in a position like a teacher would still be liable to prosecution, even if all parties concerned consented.

If the allegations, and they are just allegations at this point, are true, then the most charitable thing I could say is that he was utterly stupid, moronic and living in a fantasy world. If the question of coercion and abuse of trust comes up, then absolutely zero sympathy.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
CeaseActivity, here-and-faraway, Vaisaga, an Sunny Milk. Thanks for clarifying the state laws that say otherwise on this case. I was gasping for air when this news sprouted. And I would maybe have to light my anime's with him as an actor on fire.

Maybe the police are fine with the marriage. But are placing him under arrest for suspiscion of any victims in the past given the whole teacher thing. That is my theory, and I hope for the best for Guardiola.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
He was Pegasus Seiya in Saint Seiya too...

Either way, this situation is very weird. Even if it is legal, it's a bit strange to marry someone 25 years younger than you.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
He was Pegasus Seiya in Saint Seiya too...

Either way, this situation is very weird. Even if it is legal, it's a bit strange to marry someone 25 years younger than you.

Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones... well weird!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 22