• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Bunny Drop

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Bunny Drop is one of the rare examples of a story where the source material isn't as good as its adaptations to other media, if only because the adaptations know when to end.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It takes talent and work—lots of work—to develop a concept into a story, but it also takes talent to fudge it up this badly.

And there's your cover quote.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Just stuck with buying volumes 1-4 with Bunny Drop as I did enjoy the beginning.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...and then makes the mistake of continuing to read until the end.

Oh you poor thing. Here, let me give you a hug and we can commiserate together.

As Jason mentioned, the best way to experience Bunny Drop is to watch the simply wonderful anime. Not only does it stop before the timeskip, it is one of the best shows I've ever seen. So cute and uplifting, it'll warm your heart and make you into a better person.

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu May 15, 2014 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Why I agree with the technical part of why Justin found it disturbing, I cannot understand two things:
1. Why people were shocked about this. It was telegraphed for 2 straight volumes.
2. What exactly the problem in their future is going to be? They are not bound by blood, and people will have no way of knowing he raised Rin since she was a child. Unless their family starts putting up posters, where exactly is this grim future coming from?
lebrel

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, Bunny Drop. V1 through 4 was like "I love this series, <3 *sparkle* <3", then it went all wrong... I really do wonder who came up with the idea of the two of them hitching up (Unita? Her editor?), and how the Japanese readership responded (are there that many women with a father fetish?).

Jason said:
"Bunny Drop changes from one to the other like a switch was flipped, going from a manga that appeals to single parents (and women who are attracted to single dads) to a manga that appeals to pedophiles (and women who are attracted to father figures)."

Pedantry compels me to point out that pedophilia is a defined psychological disorder with specific diagnostic criteria, the most significant being that the subject must be attracted to prepubescent children. Rin at 16, like most 16 year old girls, is not prepubescent. Just as bank robbery is not a form of kleptomania, skeevy interest in underage teenagers is not a form of pedophilia.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I agree about Rin not being a '"lovable bundle of sunshine" child like Yotsuba'; she's way too level-headed for such a little kid; she even likes doing household chores! In more recent chapters Yotsuba sometimes gets a bit whiny or selfish or makes messes by being careless, which is way more believable.

Daikichi takes it all way too easily, too. The article mentions that he's got nothing going on in his life except his job (which he seems to like), and even asking to be put in a dead-end department for Rin's sake, essentially self-destructing his career, doesn't cause him any pause. Naturally at that point it's something he just has to do, but he doesn't even really seem bothered.

The second half of Bunny Drop kind of has a thing going about life not turning out as you expect or want it to; Daikichi doesn't hook up with the beautiful widow and Rin's adorable friendship with Kouki turns somewhat sour as they age....but no, it's dumb.

Quote:
...there's a sort-of counter-theory, Genetic Sexual Attraction, that applies mostly to relatives who didn't live together in childhood and meet up the first time when they're adults (and besides, that's a whole 'nother manga!)

For reference I'll mention I'm sure you're referring to Koi Kaze.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:
Just stuck with buying volumes 1-4 with Bunny Drop as I did enjoy the beginning.

That seems reasonable.
I had been thinking about trying this. If I do I will definitely stop after volume 4.
It looks like I could just think of this as a four volume series and forget that the rest of it exists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't know that I would necessarily recommend stopping after volume 4. I've only read up to volume 6 of Bunny Drop (I accidentally had the twist spoiled for me a while back) and I would still recommend volumes 5 and 6. It hasn't gotten creepy yet, and I found it kind of satisfying to see how Rin "turned out". There are some flashbacks to the in-between years too.

My plan for now is to keep with it until it starts squicking me out (though really I'll probably hold out till the end).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Read all ten. It was great.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
barely managed to make it past the first 4 horrible volumes, but thigns started getting good after 5.

spoiler[just kidding]
melmouth

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
So much moralizing on this site--from both the commentators and the members! I truly believe that if some of American manga fandom ends up having it's way, they'll eventually have manga purified of every single trace of sexual and/or transgressive content--til it's been eroded down to Disney level.

And then everyone over 12 will be bored with it and go looking around the world for entertainment that is less sanitized.

Part of the charm, and economic draw, of manga is that it inserts somewhat-transgressive bits in even the blandest stories in order to keep the readers stirred up and interested. That's been going on in Japanese visual media since the Edo period, and I hope the USA doesn't manage to change it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
After the timejump the manga just died. I was good in the firts half, so you know where to stop.
Uokel

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Well I read it all really liked it and saw no problems with how it ended
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:
So much moralizing on this site--from both the commentators and the members! I truly believe that if some of American manga fandom ends up having it's way, they'll eventually have manga purified of every single trace of sexual and/or transgressive content--til it's been eroded down to Disney level.

And then everyone over 12 will be bored with it and go looking around the world for entertainment that is less sanitized.

Part of the charm, and economic draw, of manga is that it inserts somewhat-transgressive bits in even the blandest stories in order to keep the readers stirred up and interested. That's been going on in Japanese visual media since the Edo period, and I hope the USA doesn't manage to change it.

I have no problem with sexual content in manga. I love Black Lagoon, Negima! and similar. I have a problem with this lazy "oh well we can't think of anything else for this six year old to do and the readers are getting bored so INCEST NOW WE'RE CONTROVERSIAL AND MAKE MORE MONIES" crap storytelling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8