• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Delays Shiki S.A.V.E Edition By 1 Month

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Man, this series always looked great. Think I'll be snagging it for that price!
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Man, this series always looked great. Think I'll be snagging it for that price!

It's a slow burn, but if you don't mind some slow set up, it's a really underrated gem. The dub is also fantastic.

Hmmm, wonder what the cause of the delay is.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Great series. Kinda sad to see that it didn't do well for them.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I wonder if they're really still going to release the LE boxset as the SAVE. Kinda sucks knowing that I bought that LE @ full price.

While the dub was good (I don't know how McFarland went from this to the mess that is Titan's dub) and the setup was good, the poorly done resolution of the show makes it just that it didn't make it to Anime Classics.

There's "moral ambiguity" and then there's "everybody wins". Shiki was definitely the latter and it, sadly, dragged out every weaksauce trope in the book to achieve it. It really fell flat at the finish line.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
I don't usually buy Blu-ray/DVD combo's, but for Shiki and for a price as low as 32 euros on Archonia, I definitely will get this.
On my end the delay is a good thing actually, now I have time to search for a decent regionfree Blu-ray player.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yupa

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I don't usually buy Blu-ray/DVD combo's, but for Shiki and for a price as low as 32 euros on Archonia, I definitely will get this.
On my end the delay is a good thing actually, now I have time to search for a decent regionfree Blu-ray player.

You probably don't have to for this release. I own the first release and the Blu-ray discs are region free.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
Yep, got an email today saying that my pre-order was being bumped back by 3 weeks. Good thing it was the only thing I ordered, as some sites withhold other items in an order until they're all available.

Echo_City wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder if they're really still going to release the LE boxset as the SAVE. Kinda sucks knowing that I bought that LE @ full price.

It probably is. Shangri-La was both sets in the LE box and supposedly Shakugan no Shana Season 2's S.A.V.E. set in July will be doing the same thing too.

I'm guessing it's partly due to Funimation print only one kind of Part 1(LE w/ art box). Since some shows don't sell as well as expected. Then of course they'll have some leftovers sitting in the warehouse. So instead of destroying those sets in favor of new packaging, they're just switching those over to the S.A.V.E. line(kinda like they did with some of the Viridian Collections).
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
One of the best parts of AC/SAVE is, IMO, the space saving nature of the smaller case. I can see the economics of recycling the LE box but it is a bit saddening. This show wasn't "amazeballs" IMO but it deserved better than to be as "failtastic" as the funky Shangri-la.

The Shiki LE is rather unsightly as it has "dead space" on the top of it to make it DVD height instead of ~bluray height. This space is hollow and is uncovered on the spine side and the obverse, meaning that when it is on your shelf this fugly boxtop is immediately obvious. It is also blue and white in color, which doesn't jibe with the black and red of the box art.

Thankfully Funimation moved away from this funky box design, though other releases like Hellsing were afflicted with it too.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
That stinks but I won't lose sleep over this.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I really need to finish this series. I started it when it was streaming on ANN and I never got a chance to follow up. I would like to still get a chance to see it streaming on either here or Hulu or other legal streaming. If I like it I may add it to my collection because I do like horror stories of this nature. Surprised
Yupa

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
The Shiki LE is rather unsightly as it has "dead space" on the top of it to make it DVD height instead of ~bluray height. This space is hollow and is uncovered on the spine side and the obverse, meaning that when it is on your shelf this fugly boxtop is immediately obvious. It is also blue and white in color, which doesn't jibe with the black and red of the box art.

Thankfully Funimation moved away from this funky box design, though other releases like Hellsing were afflicted with it too.

This isn't true, the LE box has normal Blu-ray height. You can remove the Blu-ray bar on top.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Yupa wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

This isn't true, the LE box has normal Blu-ray height. You can remove the Blu-ray bar on top.

Only if you remove the shrink wrap from the entirety of the box (or leaving a sagging, unsightly bag of shrinkwrap), which is something that I do not do and, really, no collector should as these Funimation boxes need all the protection that they can get.
Yupa

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote
Well, I tend to watch the shows I buy. It's crazy, I know. But I think it's unfair to complain about a part of the packaging you can easily remove and throw away.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Only if you remove the shrink wrap from the entirety of the box (or leaving a sagging, unsightly bag of shrinkwrap), which is something that I do not do and, really, no collector should as these Funimation boxes need all the protection that they can get.
No, I don't get it. Even if I don't watch the discs (that's what rips are for...) it's still fun to open and study the innards of the boxes, for whatever there may be (postcards, soundtracks, bed sheets...).
It's like, well, like, buying an artbook. And leaving it in the plastic bag. I don't get it. Like those who collect comics. Who do they think they are? Museum? National Repository?

@Yupa, crazy, I know, removing the packaging to look at the items you purchased. Crazy, I tell you. Very Happy

Sarcasm aside, Being a collector myself, I sort of understand the mentality. But even I think some things can go too far...

And careful care goes a very long way even for items that are used...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I figured something was up when we got within a week of release and my pre-order at Right Stuf still hadn't moved. Normally, Right Stuf send things as soon as they get them, regardless of release date, and I've received items from Funimation up to a month in advance. Although, other companies wait until the actual release date, so I was still hoping it wasn't delayed. Oh well, at least it wasn't a massive delay.

Blanchimont wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
No, I don't get it. Even if I don't watch the discs (that's what rips are for...) it's still fun to open and study the innards of the boxes, for whatever there may be (postcards, soundtracks, bed sheets...).
It's like, well, like, buying an artbook. And leaving it in the plastic bag. I don't get it. Like those who collect comics. Who do they think they are? Museum? National Repository?

@Yupa, crazy, I know, removing the packaging to look at the items you purchased. Crazy, I tell you. Very Happy

Sarcasm aside, Being a collector myself, I sort of understand the mentality. But even I think some things can go too far...

And careful care goes a very long way even for items that are used...

Agreed. A big part of why I collect is so I can enjoy the shows later on when I feel like revisiting something or sharing with friends. Plus, it's fun for me to get them open and see what is inside. I can understand wanting to keep things nice and pristine, but for me at least, the collection is for my own enjoyment. I never plan on parting with any of it, so maintaining a higher resale value is of no interest to me, and I can proudly say all my dvd and or blu-rays remain unscathed, despite several moves and many years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2