• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Robotech Academy Kickstarter Adds "Enemy Spy" Tier For Haters

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
But I can hate here for free!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
ah the glories of trolling
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I have to hand to Harmony Gold...While they may be sore losers for using their corporate prowess to keep the Macross franchise from ever reaching the U.S., they really do know how to use their opponents' anger to their advantage.
Don't fall for Harmony Gold's trap folks- stating your disapproval within their domain will only move them one step closer to succeeding their Kickstarter.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Huh? "I HATE HARMONY GOLD, SO I'M GOING TO GIVE THEM $2 TOWARDS THEIR STUPID PROJECT I DON'T WANT THEM TO MAKE, $2 WHICH COULD DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT THEY MAKE THE GOAL!"

The logic...is nowhere to be found.

(Yes, I highly doubt it'll come down to WE JUST NEED 2 MORE DOLLARS PLS PLS PLS, but money's money <_<)

Last edited by doomydoomdoom on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
But I can hate here for free!

True, but having the balls to say it to their face is better.

I think the Enemy Spy tier would make more sense if it subtracted $2 instead. Twisted Evil
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
Huh? "I HATE HARMONY GOLD, SO I'M GOING TO GIVE THEM $2 TOWARDS THEIR STUPID PROJECT I DON'T WANT THEM TO MAKE, $2 WHICH COULD DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT THEY MAKE THE GOAL!"

(Yes, I highly doubt it'll come down to WE JUST NEED 2 MORE DOLLARS PLS PLS PLS, but money's money <_<)

People were actually donating $1 to get in on the discussion just to troll the campaign.

Yes, people are that dumb.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:

The true internet troll understands the need to pay real money to troll harder.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
People were actually donating $1 to get in on the discussion just to troll the campaign.

Yes, people are that dumb.

They were planning to, or already have, pulled their pledges.

I wish ANN hadn't reported on this nonsense.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
From their FAQ:
Quote:
Why should I support Harmony Gold when they hate Macross?

If you love all things Robotech, you'll want to take part in the KickStarter for Robotech Academy! At Harmony Gold, we're huge fans of Macross, and our company has supported the brand since the 1980s, during a time when it was almost impossible to find anime on TV in North America. However, we want to make it clear that Harmony Gold licensed the exclusive rights to distribute Macross and its derivatives outside of Japan. The company has acquired these rights through all the official and legal channels in good faith, and we have protected these rights successfully for the last 30 years.

They're only fans of the 1982 Macross in terms of using it to sell Robotech, they're not fans of the original unmolested version and its sequels or remakes. They don't want fans having DYRL, Zero, Frontier, or 7; there's no way all of music issues people claim for 7 and Frontier extend to Zero or DYRL. DYRL's is all the same as the show except for like two songs and that's the same for Flash Back 2012. Didn't Justin even say that Manga's Plus and II licenses were flukes that simply got by a lax 90s Harmony Gold? If HG were the same as always, they'd have never gotten through because they couldn't be smashed into their fan canon.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
They want me to give them money?

How about they give me something for all of Macross they've blocked, hindered, and squandered?

Robotech may have been fine for most in the 1980s, but some kids born after that won't ever get legitimate Macross due to these parasites. they should make a new IP and let some their nostalgic Frankenstein be put to rest.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Robotech was fine for the late 80s when anime in the US was barren, but that was over 25 years ago and done out of desperation for a hit show. But come forward a few decades and Robotech's nostalgia among the general populace is decayed, no one remembers it or talks about it, they're far more likely to know Voltron. While both of those 80s amalgam series may be anachronisms today, Voltron's Go Lion and Dairugger XV haven't become these giants of anime spawning their own media universes, so people don't necessarily have the same level of care for what Voltron may have done in terms of dumbing the series down, much the same way people don't particularly care about Southern Cross or Mospeada. They may have their diehard fans, but those series don't have much relevancy today like Macross still does. That's why we care, because Macross is still churning stuff out.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather hate them here and not give them a dime. I just want them as a company to die and give up Macross so a Frontier dub can hit Toonami before 2020.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
4 people actually paid for this 'enemy spy' lol

i doubt any of them will even read it (or at least not by anyone important)

this is just a desperate attempt to reach their goal. with just 22 days i doubt they're gonna reach $500,000

but anyway, to anyone even thinking about paying them just to comment, DON'T! All it's gonna do is waste your money and nothing will change.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Just die already.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Brilliant? I think not. It's a good jest, but the notion of legitimately using that as some tongue in cheek scheme for actual support is just petty. That "oh you!" kind of gesture isn't going to actually warrant a following unless someone was being ironic about it or some stupid thing. Like others are saying, people aren't going to pay $2 and thereby support the cause if they hate it and want to rant, it's contradictory, hell, it goes without saying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5