Forum - View topic
Excessive Quoting - Discussion


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9755
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
@RahXephon

Because said person is quoting 4 or 5 other people simultaneously or needlessly quoting huge posts.

Click Reply

Type "@user".

Type your comments.

It's that simple.

But no, instead it ends up like this:

RahXephon91 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
theNightster wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Square dosen't make rpgs anymore and when they do they take forever to come out.

or make their RPG's suck like FF13

I enjoyed XIII. I've enjoyed most Square offerings.

Even lighting returns and the 3rd birthday?? Kidding aside I really haven't enjoyed any new square-enix games in years aside from Dragon quest 4-6, 9, crisis core, kingdom hearts BBS, and other ports of ips on ios and android formats.

Well The 3rd Birthday may have one of the most insultingly bad stories ever put in a game. I mean really, it is so bad it's embarrassing for the people who made it. It was still fun to play.

I haven't played much of LR because again the story seems so bad. Though again the gameplay seems very fun.

But other then those two I've enjoyed something about most Square games.


Or this:

RahXephon91 wrote:
configspace wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
You're going to bring up games like CoD, but again I don't look at violence the same way I do sex. A hero can kill people and still be seen as this awesome person. The moment he commits sex with a minor or rape, he's bad. This is stuff basically tied into our very core and has even been in our stories forever. I'm not sure how you can compare sex and violence with they have thier own norms.

No it's not tied "into our core". First, I'd suggest Alan Moore 25,000 Years of Erotic Freedom. Second, what is tied into our biological core and what is reflected in ALL of human (and animal) history up until the 20th century, is that puberty marks the start of adulthood. In fact by your own reasoning, your hero having sex with a 19 year old would be considered bad since they are still minors in Japan.

You are also clearly lacking in familiarity with the stories and real history. I suggest you read about Japan's own history that would shock any prude, or Greek, or Spartan, or Egyptian or Pagan European. or Roman history that completely refutes your claim

Hell even in Christianity, Mary was 12 or 13 years old when she was wed to Joseph and likely bore their son at 14 and definitely no older than 15. Though to be fair, even when husbands were oldermales were also given responsibilities at that young age throughout history too.

You are also basing your argument on very recent social norms (in light of history) as opposed to objective fact. I oppose any restrictions on both depictions, but the comparison with hypocrisy of accepting violence simply comes from being logically consistent as opposed to basing things on norms, or feelings or opinions.

There are all sorts of norms and many conflicting ones, but none of them are fundamental, not something inherent derived from the nature of just being a person. One can say they're more ego instead of the id. Just look at the modern imagining of the Spartans in 300. That's basically your idea of "heroes". But it is also very wrong, because:
Quote:
Homosexuality in the militaries of ancient Greece was regarded as contributing to morale.[1] Although the primary example is the Sacred Band of Thebes, a unit said to have been formed of same-sex couples, the Spartan tradition of military heroism has also been explained in light of strong emotional bonds resulting from homosexual relationships.[2] Various ancient Greek sources record incidents of courage in battle and interpret them as motivated by homoerotic bonds.

And don't forget puberty = adulthood, so you can figure out the ages involved here.

I was actually more trying to say that violence has been a part of us forever and people are pretty denctized. I wasn't making any comment on how people few sex through out the ages. My example was more about how in fiction someone can do a terrible thing such as murder and be ok.

----------------------------------

When it could've just as easily been this:

RahXephon91 wrote:
@Cecil

Well The 3rd Birthday may have one of the most insultingly bad stories ever put in a game. I mean really, it is so bad it's embarrassing for the people who made it. It was still fun to play.

I haven't played much of LR because again the story seems so bad. Though again the gameplay seems very fun.

But other then those two I've enjoyed something about most Square games.


Or:

RahXephon91 wrote:
@configspace

I was actually more trying to say that violence has been a part of us forever and people are pretty denctized. I wasn't making any comment on how people few sex through out the ages. My example was more about how in fiction someone can do a terrible thing such as murder and be ok.

----------------------------------

Do you see the unequivocal difference in fugly text and extra white space saved?

But I guess 2 seconds of your precious time is too much to ask for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9755
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
@RahXephon

Because said person is quoting 4 or 5 other people simultaneously or needlessly quoting huge posts.

Click Reply

Type "@user".

Type your comments.

It's that simple.

But no, instead it ends up like this:

RahXephon91 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
theNightster wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Square dosen't make rpgs anymore and when they do they take forever to come out.

or make their RPG's suck like FF13

I enjoyed XIII. I've enjoyed most Square offerings.

Even lighting returns and the 3rd birthday?? Kidding aside I really haven't enjoyed any new square-enix games in years aside from Dragon quest 4-6, 9, crisis core, kingdom hearts BBS, and other ports of ips on ios and android formats.

Well The 3rd Birthday may have one of the most insultingly bad stories ever put in a game. I mean really, it is so bad it's embarrassing for the people who made it. It was still fun to play.

I haven't played much of LR because again the story seems so bad. Though again the gameplay seems very fun.

But other then those two I've enjoyed something about most Square games.


Or this:

RahXephon91 wrote:
configspace wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
You're going to bring up games like CoD, but again I don't look at violence the same way I do sex. A hero can kill people and still be seen as this awesome person. The moment he commits sex with a minor or rape, he's bad. This is stuff basically tied into our very core and has even been in our stories forever. I'm not sure how you can compare sex and violence with they have thier own norms.

No it's not tied "into our core". First, I'd suggest Alan Moore 25,000 Years of Erotic Freedom. Second, what is tied into our biological core and what is reflected in ALL of human (and animal) history up until the 20th century, is that puberty marks the start of adulthood. In fact by your own reasoning, your hero having sex with a 19 year old would be considered bad since they are still minors in Japan.

You are also clearly lacking in familiarity with the stories and real history. I suggest you read about Japan's own history that would shock any prude, or Greek, or Spartan, or Egyptian or Pagan European. or Roman history that completely refutes your claim

Hell even in Christianity, Mary was 12 or 13 years old when she was wed to Joseph and likely bore their son at 14 and definitely no older than 15. Though to be fair, even when husbands were oldermales were also given responsibilities at that young age throughout history too.

You are also basing your argument on very recent social norms (in light of history) as opposed to objective fact. I oppose any restrictions on both depictions, but the comparison with hypocrisy of accepting violence simply comes from being logically consistent as opposed to basing things on norms, or feelings or opinions.

There are all sorts of norms and many conflicting ones, but none of them are fundamental, not something inherent derived from the nature of just being a person. One can say they're more ego instead of the id. Just look at the modern imagining of the Spartans in 300. That's basically your idea of "heroes". But it is also very wrong, because:
Quote:
Homosexuality in the militaries of ancient Greece was regarded as contributing to morale.[1] Although the primary example is the Sacred Band of Thebes, a unit said to have been formed of same-sex couples, the Spartan tradition of military heroism has also been explained in light of strong emotional bonds resulting from homosexual relationships.[2] Various ancient Greek sources record incidents of courage in battle and interpret them as motivated by homoerotic bonds.

And don't forget puberty = adulthood, so you can figure out the ages involved here.

I was actually more trying to say that violence has been a part of us forever and people are pretty denctized. I wasn't making any comment on how people few sex through out the ages. My example was more about how in fiction someone can do a terrible thing such as murder and be ok.

----------------------------------

When it could've just as easily been this:

RahXephon91 wrote:
@Cecil

Well The 3rd Birthday may have one of the most insultingly bad stories ever put in a game. I mean really, it is so bad it's embarrassing for the people who made it. It was still fun to play.

I haven't played much of LR because again the story seems so bad. Though again the gameplay seems very fun.

But other then those two I've enjoyed something about most Square games.


Or:

RahXephon91 wrote:
@configspace

I was actually more trying to say that violence has been a part of us forever and people are pretty denctized. I wasn't making any comment on how people few sex through out the ages. My example was more about how in fiction someone can do a terrible thing such as murder and be ok.

----------------------------------

Do you see the unequivocal difference in fugly text and extra white space saved?

But I guess 2 seconds of your precious time is too much to ask for.

Not being lazy.

Clicked on Quote, and this is what I get.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1791
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
Well I'm sorry, this is literally the only forum that I have ever visited that has a problem with quoting.

How long does this moderation last?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9755
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
Moderation lasts until someone clicks the button.

And I don't plan on doing that anytime soon.

But all you have to do to get your posts approved is to not over-quote.

Easy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Touma



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 1564
Location: Colorado, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I'm not sure how quoting a post when you're specifically replying to it is lazy.

It is not lazy to quote the post.
It is lazy to not take the time to delete any quoted text that is not relevant to your reply.

I usually ask myself if people need to read the quoted text in order to understand my reply.
If I think that they do then I leave it in. If I think that they do not then I delete it.
Sometimes quoting too much can make it difficult, or even impossible, for people to understand your meaning.


shamisen the great wrote:
I don't think quoting one person is the problem. The key word is "excessive."

Excessive quoting is possible even when replying to only one person.
This usually happens when the reply is relevant to only one sentence buried somewhere in the middle of 30 or 40 lines of quoted text.
This is what I was referring to when I said that quoting too much can make it harder for people to understand you.
This is especially bad when the reply could refer to two or more different and contradictory parts of the quoted text.


Rahxephon91 wrote:
Well I'm sorry, this is literally the only forum that I have ever visited that has a problem with quoting.

If that is true then I suspect that those other forums are really more like chat rooms where people are not really trying to have serious conversations.
Either that or the users are so disciplined that excessive quoting is never a problem.

I have used forums where nobody cared about the quoting. I no longer use those forums.

I have also visited forums that are even more strict than ANN. I actually stopped using one forum because they had the software configured to prevent more than one level of quoting..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Dessa



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 3008

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Tony, to help with this problem (not solve, but help), there is a mod available for phpBB3 (not sure if it's there for 2, but the upgrade is [supposedly] coming) where it can actually block nested quoting. Default is anything more than 3, but it can be custom set (I wouldn't place it less than 2, though, myself).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
mdo7
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5888
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Tony, to help with this problem (not solve, but help), there is a mod available for phpBB3 (not sure if it's there for 2, but the upgrade is [supposedly] coming) where it can actually block nested quoting. Default is anything more than 3, but it can be custom set (I wouldn't place it less than 2, though, myself).


Hm, that might solve the excessive/overquoting problem. Any date when this add-on/mod will come out. I hope this add-on doesn't cause any bug on ANN forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 6261
Location: Wales

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I've used forums where, when you press quote, it elimates any quotes from the quote. Which is actually annoying when you're replying to something from the quoted quote as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5888
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I've used forums where, when you press quote, it elimates any quotes from the quote. Which is actually annoying when you're replying to something from the quoted quote as well.


Yeah I definitely hate those, and I'll agreed with you on that. Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9755
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: The Wall of Shame has been moved to the opening post.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:47 pm; edited 24 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
getchman
Team GurrenTeam Gurren


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 7481
Location: Cheshire, CT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
sweet, a wall of shame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9755
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
"Wall of Shame" has a nice ring to it. Although, I would also like to use "The Blacklist." But if I did that, I'd have to change my avatar to Raymond Reddington. As cool a character as he is, though, I think Dredd is more appropriate for this place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Garudyne



Joined: 24 Sep 2014
Posts: 20
Location: Scandinavia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
Got it. Sorry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9755
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:41 am Reply with quote
No worries. You're new and not at 100+ posts, anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
mdo7
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5888
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
"Wall of Shame" has a nice ring to it. Although, I would also like to use "The Blacklist." But if I did that, I'd have to change my avatar to Raymond Reddington. As cool a character as he is, though, I think Dredd is more appropriate for this place.


Wall of shame will work for me, Tony. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group