• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yama no Susume (all seasons) (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote

Yama no Susume (TV)
Yama no Susume Second Season (TV)

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: educational, family, growing up, mountain climbing

Plot Summary:Hinata and Aoi made a promise to each other when they were very young to climb a mountain. Years later they get in contact again and start acting on that promise. However Aoi has developed a fear of heights, and Hinata has little patience for planning and even less caution.
----------------------------------

This is a series of five-minute episodes and it is unexpectedly charming. Two young girls, Hinata and Aoi, made a promise to each other when they were little to climb a mountain. They spend some time apart then encounter each other again, and Hinata remembers the promise and is determined to act on it.

The problem is that it turns out that Aoi has developed a fear of heights, yet Hinata is raring to go. The girls are cute in how they deal with each other and it is amusing to see how Aoi deals with not only her fear but the fact that Hinata seems to have a few screws loose. Overall it is not a bad way to spend a few minutes during a work break.

Character alert: we have a good dad model here. Worth tuning in to see.

Anyone watching this besides me?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching it. And liking it too.

The three-minute format suits the series well, as it is the perfect length to get the simple but charming message across each week. I also appreciate that there's an ongoing plot, rather than just being a nonsense show where nothing ever happens.

It's funny. Each week, I actually look forward to this series more than many of the normal-budget full-length series I watch. Just goes to prove how important storytelling is.

You know what it reminds me of? Tamayura - Hitotose. Same sort of feel-good vibe.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

The background art, shown at 720P on a large screen, is absolutely stunning. They made the touristy setting of Mt. Takao look like the real thing. (I haven't been there, but it looks like a lot of other Japanese tour spots I've been to.)

It is pretty amazing that two girls that age can safely go on an excursion by themselves like that. You sure wouldn't see that anywhere in California.
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
For a show that had a running time of three minutes, it sure was compelling and flowing with likable characters and facts about climbing, it was interesting and I look forward to its second season Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first season, and it has created a good set up for Season 2, now with longer episodes in that this first episode was about 13 minutes long.

As someone who was a Scout I liked what I saw here, I have taught 9 year olds to put up the sort of tent they used, although more than once I had to take it into my hands and put up or pull them down in less than savoury conditions. I am interested to see how she will manage to get her mother's confidence that they can camp by themselves. I can kind of understand the worry but it is something teens can handle, granted it would be responsible to be able to show a plan of the route including emergency contact plan.

Also, totally could tell it was Yui Ogura singing the ED, really like her voice.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:58 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see the return of this show, especially in a longer format. Also enjoyed seeing the MC being spoiler[miffed with her friend because of what happened in a dream.] Laughing
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm glad to see the return of this show, especially in a longer format. Also enjoyed seeing the MC being spoiler[miffed with her friend because of what happened in a dream.] Laughing

I don't think I ever had a girlfriend that didn't do that to me at one time or another. It's a very female thing.

Speaking of which it hasn't been that long but somehow I don't recall the girls being drawn as sexy as they are in this new episode. Especially the sempai.

Also it would seem that girls going off on their own as it seemed to me isn't as casually accepted as it seemed in the prior season. Aoi's mom sure shut down the idea of a camping excursion in a hurry. And Aoi seemed to take it pretty well. Just a "okay!" when a typical American teen would be whining about it for weeks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

Kind of makes me miss the fact it has been a while since I have done a hike, I personally felt quite a bit of nostalgia from looking at the trail. Never been in Japan but I can appreciate a trail.

The one I can remember most is hiking down a mountain into a rainforest like environment that got really humid, and the lower levels had leeches, so you could not rest when you actually started to get tired. And also why equipment we carried included salt and lighter.

I found that little imagine spot with the spoiler[flowers and adorkable bird] to be funny.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote
I want to go visit spoiler[Mount Fuji] someday. Just seeing it in the latest episode feels natural and refreshing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

The first rule of hiking, "everyone goes as fast as the slowest person", its one of the biggest things I tried to teach kids before on a hike, still you will get some that walk ahead. If I was in charge of these girl I would tell the two in front to slow down, its not a race, but having the most experience one stay back is the right thing to do, I can recall doing the exact same thing when I took some 10 year olds on one.

Other rules are "take only photos, leave only footprints", there was some recognition in here too. Also I can totally sympathise with being tired, I may like it but I have tended to have terrible stamina, and footwork can be rather important, kind of implied with the looking at feet thing. I kind of wonder how it will go afterwards, in personal experience I always end up with blisters, end up with sore feet for a little bit. Also down hill can be more dangerous than uphill, it is where you are likely to hurt yourself.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Is there any word as to why new episodes aren't showing up at CR? I would ask over there but I am too lazy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they've provided an actual explanation.

Quote:
Future episodes of Encouragement of Climb Season 2 will be made available as soon as we are able to. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

I assume there is some kind of licensing snafu since the episodes themselves continue to be broadcast in Japan.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

While the previous episode was kind of sad that she could not continue because of altitude sickness. You can easily do research to find that you cannot tell who will be effected by it and Fuji is well above the height that perfectly normal people can develop it. It feels really heartbreaking that Aoi getting very depressed over it while it is simply not her fault and it is simply being handled the best possible way. That an experienced hiker would care more about her having the best possible time.

Episode 12

And spoiler[things finally look better after being depressed when she looks back and is able to do what she could before, easily]. There is a life lesson in there, I think it captured the depressed feeling very well to then be uplifting. It kind of feels like an ending point, but the encycloedia is saying that there will be 24 episodes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
Hey everyone it looks like Crunchyroll loaded all the episodes for Season 2 at once. 'bout time!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
I saw that, too - yay! Better late than never, especially since, as DP pointed out, this appears to be a 2-cours show. It'll be nice not to have to depend on *other* options to see this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3