• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 TV Series Announced for October

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
ANOTHER AU!?!??! Kill it with fire before it can contaminate the fall lineup!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
Those character designs look like from Yun Kouga of Loveless fame. It doesn't help that one of the Gundam pilots look like Ritsuka. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Hooray for baiting more fangirls into the mech genre (of course some could careless about the mechs Surprised)!
Odekerk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
Gundam will never die, or so it seems.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Japanese fans have noted the similarity of the character designs with the work of Yun Kouga (Loveless), although Sunrise has not confirmed her involvement or that of Fullmetal Alchemist director Seiji Mizushima.

Also mentioned on 2ch (not officially unconfirmed yet):

Series Composition: Yousuke Kuroda
Character Design: Kenichi Yoshida
Narration: Tohru Furuya

Odekerk wrote:
Gundam will never die, or so it seems.

Starting from Gundam W (and of course the most recent Seed and Destiny), the franchise is more fujoshi-ish than science fictional.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Bandai has been making a huge stink recently about wanting three timelines: one for older adults (Universal Century, with all of its "old man war story" type OVAs and novels), one for young children and junior high students (Gundam SEED and its Cosmic Era), and a third for the high school and college-age crowd in the middle of the two extremes. More than likely, this Gundam 00 will be the first attempt at tamping down that third main line.

Personally, looking at the trailer, I'm liking what I'm seeing. The Gundams aren't generic RX-78-2 remixes with oversized winged rocketpacks (in fact, the new engines on their backs look a lot more impressive than the stupid "in the far-flung future we're still using clunky, unstable nuclear reactors" act from virtually every prior Gundam), and the fact that the pacifistic group is screaming "pacifism!" from the get-go suggests we'll see the over-idealizing peaceniks in an antagonistic role for once, given Gundam's habit of faction shuffling.

My big concern is the all-bishounen character lineup thus far, drawing to mind fears of Gundam Wing or that awful Cluster Edge thing. Still though, all-bishounen Gundam pilot teams have worked in the past (Gundam X), so I'm not discounting it yet. This could be fluff, this could be good stuff, it's way too early to tell, and the people screaming bloody murder and crying foul over a 14-second trailer are being absolutely silly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
It's got my attention. I'll be checking it out once an ep or two has been subbed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Alright lets kill it! That's the best idea ever Rolling Eyes.

Nagisa wrote:
My big concern is the all-bishounen character lineup thus far, drawing to mind fears of Gundam Wing or that awful Cluster Edge thing.Still though, all-bishounen Gundam pilot teams have worked in the past (Gundam X), so I'm not discounting it yet. This could be fluff, this could be good stuff, it's way too early to tell, and the people screaming bloody murder and crying foul over a 14-second trailer are being absolutely silly.

Wait so were going to get Heero and Zechs back Very Happy? I think there are a few key points we can take from this trailer, one there is no Shinn so things are looking up already. Two like you noted it was 14 seconds long and basically told us nothing about the series. I am going to stay optimistic and hope for the best.....and not say it sucks because it isn't UC....
Tenkaitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
It's really too much to ask for a new U.C. Gundam series, isn't it? Or, at least, a full one?

Still not sold on the story premise. The character designs don't look too bad, but they certainly aren't what I'm looking for (but they're better than SEED's).

But, honestly, this new series is already giving me a much better vibe than SEED. If this series can diversify itself from the other awful non-UC Gundams (with the exception of Turn-A, pretty much every single one of them have not been too good) and do something truely good.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I'm so glad they got rid of those SEED-type character designs!

I like the "00" part of the title, too, as a reference to many of the UC anime.

I'm looking forward to this one a lot!
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Tenkaitsu wrote:
It's really too much to ask for a new U.C. Gundam series, isn't it? Or, at least, a full one?

More than likely. According to the Bandai CEO, UC is for adults, the 30-something year olds who just won't have time to sit at home on Saturday to watch a cartoon. So they'd rather publish novels and manga for those folks.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I would digress and say that I vastly prefer the SEED character designs (but I don't get the heat CE gets, personally. I think what's been done in CE is excellent). Except for what appears to be the lead male, they all look like they stepped out of a cheap shounen ai title and are kind of unpleasant looking.

But I'll still watch it.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
ALL RIGHT!!! GUNDAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am so happy the new gundam doesnt have anything to do with gundam seed
and im pretty sure one of the characters was a girl with classes dont know if she's pilots a gundam or not but it would be intresting if the show turns out to be like gundam wing and she's one of the pilots plus it doesnt look like theres going to be a rip off of the whitebase which means we wont have to a gigantic spaceship traveling 5 miles an hour for half of the series

plus you just dont see enough main character's wearing a scarf these days
Blanko4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote
There goes my hope for a SEED Astray based series. Sad

I wonder if Kunio Okawara is the mechanical designer this time? As for the character designs, if the characterization is good and the fight scenes are good, then I can over look them if they're too bishonen.
silverwings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Yes! More AU Gundam! Very Happy (yes, I know I'm weird but the UC (MSG/Zeta/etc) stuff just bores me..
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
What's with all the SEED bashing? 0_o

So is Gundam 00 going to replace To Terra when it's finished?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6