• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Anime's 7 Most Dangerous Jobs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Given the mortality rate, the most dangerous job in anime is "parent of a shounen protagonist". Most of them don't even make it to the first episode.
johnmora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Yikes, those Gundam poll results...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
soldier is the most dangerous job in anime. Not sure why Gundam Wing is the most popular gundam in US.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
soldier is the most dangerous job in anime. Not sure why Gundam Wing is the most popular gundam in US.

Toonami. Just Toonami. It just hit at the right time with the right characters, the right mecha, and the right story. You've got the 5 pretty boys, the several pretty great and unique suits, and the easy to follow and stand-alone story that isn't rehashing 0079 all over again. I think the only other series that would have worked in its place in 1999 and 2000 was Gundam X, and probably not nearly as well.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Amazing isn't it ? When an anime series crosses boundaries you attract boys and girls. And guess what it is a success. All hail to Gundam Wing. Of course it also helped tremendously that it aired on tv for all to see. Bridging the gap between male fans and female fans is a lesson the anime industry doesn't want to learn (with very few exceptions).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
My favorite Gundam (X) is low on the list, as I expected. :[
E.G.K

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm really surprised Gundam 00 actually placed 2nd and ahead of SEED/08 MS Team, considering most of the fans I see online discussing Gundam tends to discuss either SEED or UC -heck even Wing- but never 00. Tis a good surprise.
blooder27

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
What about Gantz? The mortality rate for Gantz is extremely high and even the veterans have a good chance of dying.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused with the list... by "company" I assume it refers to publishers? I see developers like Tri-Ace and From Software which doesn't make sense, given that their publishers are also on the list...

Wish it was more clear.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Given the mortality rate, the most dangerous job in anime is "parent of a shounen protagonist". Most of them don't even make it to the first episode.

Cool
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
The Gundam results are as expected, probably one of the more reasonable/rational ones you'll see around, given the variables involved…

That said, Red Garden's descriptor is a misnomer. The people weren't flesh-craving zombies, they were cursed and deranged individuals with violent, beast-like dispositions (not that that makes the job any easier, mind you… Wink ). Now, calling the girls "zombies" (albeit the non-flesh-loving variety), on the other hand…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Gundam Wing so high on the list doesn't really surprise me. Seeing G Gundam comparatively lower does, though.

I guess it's all about the vocal fanbases. *shrug*
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
johnmora wrote:
Yikes, those Gundam poll results...

Actually if you put all of the Universal Century Gundam shows together as one series, excluding Turn A Gundam, you get 30.9 %.

The poll would have been better if divided up between different Gundam Universes than single shows as the UC Gundam programs can be called one series.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
That was a good read.

megalodontus wrote:
Wow, I'm really surprised Gundam 00 actually placed 2nd and ahead of SEED/08 MS Team, considering most of the fans I see online discussing Gundam tends to discuss either SEED or UC -heck even Wing- but never 00. Tis a good surprise.

Totally agree, damn good to see Gundam 00 do that, loved it.

belvadeer wrote:
My favorite Gundam (X) is low on the list, as I expected. :[

I enjoyed X as well, even though it's hard to say where it would end up anyway some more people might have seen it if it had actually gotten a release here beyond the fansubs.

Mikeski wrote:

LOL yeah.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
I enjoyed X as well, even though it's hard to say where it would end up anyway some more people might have seen it if it had actually gotten a release here beyond the fansubs.

Good point. Fansubs were the only way to watch it as far as I know. Still, I really did like it. I know that in the Japanese TV ratings it was the second least viewed Gundam right after that horrid SD stinker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3