• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ganbare Goemon Manga Artist Hiroshi Obi Passes Away

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
Well that's a bummer. For the country with the best Life expectancy it seems quite a few in the Manga/Anime industry die young.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:41 am Reply with quote
True, the pressure in the manga / anime industry in Japan, and other highly creative oriented business there and elsewhere tends to cause an "Eating of their Own" effect.

Condolences to Obi-sensei's family, friends & students.

Mark Gosdin
Ryuhei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
My condolences to the family Sad

blaizevincent wrote:
Well that's a bummer. For the country with the best Life expectancy it seems quite a few in the Manga/Anime industry die young.

There are thousands and thousands of people working on the anime/manga industry, and I´m just counting the ones relevant enough to grant news about them, it´s a very BIG collective of people from all ages so it´s obviously not unusual to have news about a known/relatively known person dying every month (something similar on the Hollywood industry). Yes, there are also people on their 40s, 50s and 60s that die, no matter how much the life expectancy of the country is. But I don´t really think the life expectancy of people in the industry is anything noticeably lower than the average.
How many of you knew about this mangaka until now? (He just made the manga adaptation of the Konami videogames -he was not the creator of Goemon- and other adaptations, aside from being a professor), it´s not like he was well known, for most, the news about his death is the first news heard about him.

I don´t think Hiroshi Obi was suffering any major pressure from the industry or whatever so it does not make sense to make a comment with generalizations about that, at least in this case.
richard.s.eze

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
I hope Hiroshi Obi rest in peace
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Goeman is a pretty awesome game series, I saw bits of the anime which was pretty amusing, but I never seen the manga before.
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Rest in peace. I've never read any of the Goemon manga, but I love the games.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Ryuhei wrote:
There are thousands and thousands of people working on the anime/manga industry, and I´m just counting the ones relevant enough to grant news about them, it´s a very BIG collective of people from all ages so it´s obviously not unusual to have news about a known/relatively known person dying every month (something similar on the Hollywood industry). Yes, there are also people on their 40s, 50s and 60s that die, no matter how much the life expectancy of the country is. But I don´t really think the life expectancy of people in the industry is anything noticeably lower than the average.

Strangely we've had animators in the US that managed to make it to their 70's, 80's, 90's, even the big 1-0-0. Often good health and luck usually helps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1